WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    2003 Fattoria Petrolo Galatrona
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2003 Fattoria Petrolo Galatrona
 Login/Join 
posted
  • 2003 Fattoria Petrolo Galatrona Toscana IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Toscana IGT (11/11/2006)
    Dinner w/ The Highdesertwines, Pinot/Pinto Envy et al (Chateau Chang, Victorville, CA): Dark ruby/black colour. Brooding nose of vanilla, blackberry, bramble, cumin/spice, licorice. Medium-full bodied, tight, brooding, and backward. Good texture, however. Hints of black fruit on the palate. Moderate finish, 35s, with black fruit. Needs at least 3-5 years, probably longer. Was decanted for 3-4 hours. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Posts: 10837 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice notes Fut, I've ordered this one in the latest Classics Catalogue.
Do you know how much Antonio Galloni of W.A. gave this wine?? I can't seem to find his score and I always like to know what he has to say about the wines.

Posts: 898 | Location: Gatineau, Québec | Registered: Jan 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Luc ...

Antonio gave it a 91 and a drinking window of 2008-2015.

Posts: 10837 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Fut, I really appreciate it.

Posts: 898 | Location: Gatineau, Québec | Registered: Jan 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been having great "luck" with Merlot from Tuscany lately, and this was absolutely no exception. Nose of plum and other purple and black fruit, a distinct "inkiness", blood / iron notes, florals, a saline / mineral component, espresso, and some black olive; I agree with the statement that this is like Bordeaux with the distinct imprint of Tuscany. Beautiful tannin and overall structure; fine length and complexity; nice savoury edge; long, lasting finish. Terrific stuff. 93-94 points.

Posts: 755 | Location: Toronto, ON | Registered: Nov 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've found these to be really young and needing some bottle age. Did you decant a while? Did you enjoy it with food?

Posts: 4066 | Location: Alexandria, VA, USA | Registered: Oct 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LENTINI - I am generally not a proponent of overtly decanting because I've found that more often than not it ruins the wine by killing the aromatics and doing nothing to "soften" tannins; I just pour in the glass and follow it over hours as it evolves. In this case, we did just that... To your point, this was on the younger side but in no way angular or offensive. I prefer to have these a bit younger - not young upon release but on the leading edge of the plateau - because that's when they are most interesting, as opposed to some other regions that I prefer with bottle age. With no itch to open this for a particular reason, I would probably defer for two more years; in this time frame I think the wine will retain its most interesting attributes while becoming just a bit more resolved.

Posts: 755 | Location: Toronto, ON | Registered: Nov 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for this TN!
I was just planning to open a '05 Galatrona to see where where it stands. But based on your comments "I prefer to have these a bit younger" + "I would probably defer for two more years" make me rethink that plan!

Albert Jochems
- life is to short to drink bad wines -

Posts: 719 | Location: The Netherlands | Registered: Aug 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Economist:
I've been having great "luck" with Merlot from Tuscany lately, and this was absolutely no exception. Nose of plum and other purple and black fruit, a distinct "inkiness", blood / iron notes, florals, a saline / mineral component, espresso, and some black olive; I agree with the statement that this is like Bordeaux with the distinct imprint of Tuscany. Beautiful tannin and overall structure; fine length and complexity; nice savoury edge; long, lasting finish. Terrific stuff. 93-94 points.

Agree with all of the above statements. This wine has just entered its sweet spot and will develop over the next 3-5 years. Too bad it's my last one.

Posts: 1591 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Economist:
I've been having great "luck" with Merlot from Tuscany lately,

Agree. My pick for the finest Merlot and Cabernet Franc in the world today at $100 and under is Bolgheri, and often even at $400 and above.

Posts: 30026 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
W+A - who would you recommend in Bolgheri in the $100 and under?

Posts: 2104 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thirsty man:

Well...

Le Macchiole Messorio

Le Macchiole Paleo

Poggio Argentiera Finisterre Maremma ( Cab Franc w/Syrah)

Poggio alle Querce Il Guado ( Has Cab with Merlot)

Batzella Tam Rossa ( Cab Franc with Cabernet or Syrah some years)

Poggio al Tesoro Dedicato & Sondraia

Catello di Bolgheri makes wines blending Merlot and Cab Franc

Tua Rita Perlato del Bosco & Giusto di Norti are Merlot based.

Baia al Vento Superiore

Posts: 30026 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks! I'm going to try some of these....

I've enjoyed the Paleo in the past, but have not seen Messorio under $100 around here...

Posts: 2104 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by thirsty man:

Tua Rita Perlato del Bosco & Giusto di Norti are Merlot based.

I think you might be referring to the Redigaffi, which I agree is a phenomenal wine!

Posts: 212 | Location: Canada | Registered: Aug 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post