WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    2001 R. López de Heredia - Tondonia Reserva (Spain, La Rioja, La Rioja Alta)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2001 R. López de Heredia - Tondonia Reserva (Spain, La Rioja, La Rioja Alta)
 Login/Join 
posted
2001 R. López de Heredia Rioja Reserva Viña Tondonia - Spain, La Rioja, La Rioja Alta, Rioja (10/27/2012)
-- popped and poured --
-- tasted non-blind over 8 hours --

NOSE: initially quite expressive, but this did tighten-up considerably over the last 3 hours; juicy, baked cherry; strong underlying mineral/ashy note – reminds me a *little* of a Pauillac; Hoisin sauce; at a pleasant primary/tertiary point of its life.

BODY: ruby core with some tawny coloring at the edges; color is of medium depth; medium bodied.

TASTE: good acidity; tannins are fine and only slightly drying; baked cherry flavor with an underlying leathery note; long finish of moderate intensity; 13% alc. is not noticeable. After a few hours: strong acidity; moderate to moderate+ concentration of fruit; baked red fruits; fruit leather; hint of oak spice emerging now, but does not come across as oaky. Ddrinking very well now --- I’d say in the beginning of its prime time. Fantastic QPR at $38.

B: 50, 4, 13, 17, 8 = (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Posts: 1882 | Location: L.A. | Registered: Dec 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was even better QPR at $29 from winex when it was first released! I have probably been through 6 of these already and I really love it. I’m sure it will last and maybe improve over the next 5-10 years, but they are so tasty now.

Posts: 6561 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dang! Super-excellent buy at $29! I agree with you re: their possible life-span and present ability to deliver pleasure. Cool

Posts: 1882 | Location: L.A. | Registered: Dec 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Will last far longer than 10 years. It was a great vintage and that wine is proven to age. Not as long as the Gran Reserva, but in 10 years it's only going to be just over 20 years old. At 10 years, which is right now, it's still in its earliest drinking stages.

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2665 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post