WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    A dynamite Priorat
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A dynamite Priorat
 Login/Join 
posted
2008 Ferrer Bobet
hundred-year-old Carignane/Cabernet

This is a spice laden wine with black currants, blueberry and a loooong finish. The tannins and overall minerality to this wine are velvety and mouthcoating in a great way. You can smell a plethora of herbs,flowers smokiness that translate into one big smile on your face. One of the best sub $50 Spanish wines I have ever had. 94pts

IW

Life without wine?...... Yeah Right.
The Unexamined Life Is Not Worth Living - Socrates
"Wine....offers a greater range for enjoyment and appreciation than possibly any other purely sensory thing which may be purchased" ERNEST HEMINGWAY (1889-1961)

ITB

Posts: 5053 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: Nov 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds great, IW. I have 6 bottles and have not opened one yet. Might open tonight. What's your rec for decanting time, if needed? TIA

Just one more sip.

Posts: 37067 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tried this with my rep when the bottle was opened the previous day. I would decant 1-2 hours, but try it first.

IW

"Wine....offers a greater range for enjoyment and appreciation than possibly any other purely sensory thing which may be purchased" ERNEST HEMINGWAY (1889-1961)

ITB

Posts: 5053 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: Nov 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Will do.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 37067 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IW, is this the white label, Vinyes Velles bottling? It just showed up recently on our shelves at $56, so I may have to pick some up if it is.

Posts: 10238 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Steve8,

It is the white label Vinyes Velles bottling. Hope you enjoy the wine.

IW

ITB

posted Hide Post
I have one standing up for rack of lamb tonight. That's assuming this new storm coming in leaves us with power.

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
quote:
2008 Ferrer Bobet

Have it in the decanter now. Great nose. First sip very rich and balanced. Amost opaque.

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
I am opening this tomorrow night. Hope it is as good as last time. B-O let me know how long you decanted it for. Thanks

IW

ITB

posted Hide Post
Last sips were at 3 hours 15 minutes after decanting through a Vinturi and it was still improving. I bought 6 bottles and my note in the cellar log is to wait until 2014 for the next. It's actually fine now, with a bit of a harsh edge that's balanced by the lushness of the fruit. I think it's secondary characteristics will be wonderful as it melds. Maybe a 93++ now.

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
Thanks. I agree with your comment on the LUSH FRUIT. I am opening this with Kybo tomorrow night.

ITB

posted Hide Post
I read that the Ferrer Bobet winery is supposed to be a magnificent edifice. It'll have to go some to match or surpass Alvaro Palacios.

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
I think I have a picture of it. If I find it I will email it to you.

IW

ITB

posted Hide Post
Sure. It's probably online, but I haven't looked.

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
Bought some bottles solely on IW and BO's recommendationWink

"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

"Mimik" on cellartracker.com

Posts: 6637 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
myself as well

Posts: 1736 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IW doesn't miss. This was outstanding if not a tad too young. 2+ hours in the decanter provide just a glimpse of the wine's character. Thanks again IW for sharing!

"Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because if there be one he must approve of the homage of reason more than that of blindfolded fear. "
-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Peter Carr, August 10, 1787

Posts: 3848 | Location: Alpharetta, GA | Registered: Nov 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too made a purchase based on IW and BO posts. It wouldn't be the first time I was pleasantly surprised by a wine recommended by one of these guys!

Posts: 2568 | Location: Danville, CA | Registered: Apr 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post