WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    1995 Domaine de la Romanee-Conti La Tache
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1995 Domaine de la Romanee-Conti La Tache
 Login/Join 
posted
I have long said that, if I could only drink one more bottle of red wine ever in my life, it would be a La Tache from a great vintage. This bottle only confirmed my feelings.

This bottle was enjoyed exclusively with sauteed portobello mushrooms on toast tips.

This bottle was profoundly rich and young with tannins and toast/oak showing early. After about an hour the nose awoke offering clove, cherries, raspberries with hints of soy and smoke. The flavors were so rich and deep yet without any heaviness, showing pure dark fruit, crazy spice, flashes of both toffee and cinnamon that come and go throughout. What I loved about this bottle is how a wine so profoundly rich with still obvious tannins and toastiness could finish with such fineness and delicacy.

We enjoyed this wine for about three hours. I hope to drink this wine again in 5 or so years.

Posts: 30128 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Magic in a bottle. I have not had the '95 but I agree with your fineness and powerful comment in the same sip the way La Tache does. The best example for me was the '78 at age 12. Thanks for the TN.

IW

Life without wine?...... Yeah Right.
The Unexamined Life Is Not Worth Living - Socrates
"Wine....offers a greater range for enjoyment and appreciation than possibly any other purely sensory thing which may be purchased" ERNEST HEMINGWAY (1889-1961)

ITB

Posts: 5002 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: Nov 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
I have long said that, if I could only drink one more bottle of red wine ever in my life, it would be a La Tache from a great vintage. This bottle only confirmed my feelings.

This bottle was enjoyed exclusively with sauteed portobello mushrooms on toast tips.

This bottle was profoundly rich and young with tannins and toast/oak showing early. After about an hour the nose awoke offering clove, cherries, raspberries with hints of soy and smoke. The flavors were so rich and deep yet without any heaviness, showing pure dark fruit, crazy spice, flashes of both toffee and cinnamon that come and go throughout. What I loved about this bottle is how a wine so profoundly rich with still obvious tannins and toastiness could finish with such fineness and delicacy.

We enjoyed this wine for about three hours. I hope to drink this wine again in 5 or so years.

Awesome note W+A...
I have yet to have a DRC La Tache from a great vintage....only tried the 1997 but am very keen. Your note will keep me on the prowl

Posts: 1134 | Registered: Apr 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had about 6-8 vintages of La Tache and all were stunning wines. The 1959 which I had twice was the best Burgundy I've ever had and probably #2 on my all-time list. I still feel strange about sending that third bottle to auction.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36831 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
B-O,

How much do you want for it? I may be interested. Email me and let me know.

IW

"Wine....offers a greater range for enjoyment and appreciation than possibly any other purely sensory thing which may be purchased" ERNEST HEMINGWAY (1889-1961)

ITB

Posts: 5002 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: Nov 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, I don't have it anymore. I sent off to auction and before the auction, but after I sent it, James Laube wrote an article about a wine that change your perspective on wine forever- 1959 La Tache. I got $1800 for it

link

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36831 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What year did you sell it?

ITB

posted Hide Post
According to the link, 2004

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
I think I am going blind. Didn't see the link. Thanks.

IW

ITB