WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    2004 Concha y Toro Don Melchor
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2004 Concha y Toro Don Melchor
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I've had the '04 three times over the last few months and have absolutely loved it every time. It DEFINITELY needs air time...

Posts: 3010 | Location: San Luis Obispo, CA | Registered: Mar 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had 2 bottles on a Disney cruise and was far from blown away. It was closed down and didnt offer much. Air didnt seem to help. I would stash it away for a while. I knew it wasnt ready, although at ~$65 I had to try it.

Posts: 133 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: Nov 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had the 2000 back in early June and it was very nice. Very much open for business. The group of us that tried it very much enjoyed it with the ribeye we ate!

Posts: 2207 | Location: Chicago Suburbs | Registered: Oct 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
follow this process:

put them in the back of your cellar

look through the glass and repeat after me:

Slllleeeepppp, my ppprreeeciiooosss, slllleeeeppppppp!!!!!

Now....where's that Screwpull?

Posts: 1456 | Registered: Dec 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking of opening a bottle of this on Saturday. Is it still too young?

-------------------
Go Bruins!!
Go Tigers!!
Go Pistons!!
Go Lions!!

Posts: 10679 | Location: Oakville Ontario | Registered: Jan 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just had one a couple weeks ago. Needs about 45mins to start to open up but very good when it does.

Posts: 119 | Location: ohio | Registered: Feb 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's got quite a bit more structure than the last couple of vintages, so don't expect the accessibility of the '01 or the '03 ...

If you want to play it safe, let it sleep for a couple of years.

"I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret."
John Cleese (Basil Fawlty)

Posts: 499 | Location: Mississauga, ON | Registered: Feb 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tasted this wine a couple months ago at a tasting party, and it was delicious - showing really well.

But it was someone else's bottle, and I have no idea how long it had been open, or whether it had been splash-decanted earlier, or what. If I were opening a bottle at home I would certainly decant it just as a matter of course.

Posts: 2501 | Location: L.A. | Registered: Mar 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have tasted this wine recently. It shows great potential but it needs at least 4 years in the bottle.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Apr 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any TNs on the 2005? Just picked up a bottle at my LWS... They sold out in a day.. I believe I paid $55.00.

Posts: 837 | Location: Carlsbad | Registered: Apr 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last week's insider gave the 05 Don Melchor 96 points and a drink through 2019 window

Posts: 745 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anybody had this one lately? From most of the notes above, it looks like it still needs a couple/few years.

-IB

"Wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit."---Lindsay Bluth

Posts: 8883 | Location: The Circle City | Registered: Nov 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Opening one for our blind tasting group tomorrow (along with the '01, '03 and '05). Notes on CT have been all over the place & I haven't checked in on them for a while so I figured it's time.

Posts: 1610 | Location: St. Charles, IL | Registered: Dec 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks AllRed. This mini-vertical should be really informative. Look forward to your notes. Smile

-IB

Posts: 8883 | Location: The Circle City | Registered: Nov 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllRed:
Opening one for our blind tasting group tomorrow (along with the '01, '03 and '05). Notes on CT have been all over the place & I haven't checked in on them for a while so I figured it's time.

Hey AllRed, ol' buddy. I will be interested in your notes on the '01. Got some that I'm sitting on.

"But, if ye wish her grateful prayer,
Gie her a haggis!" -Robert Burns

Posts: 1663 | Location: Traded Paradise for the frozen Finger Lakes | Registered: Feb 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Haggis! How are things in paradise? I'll be sure to post notes. Give our best to Mrs. H!

Posts: 1610 | Location: St. Charles, IL | Registered: Dec 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Blind Drunks Monthly Tasting - Joe's (11/22/2009)

• 2004 Concha y Toro Cabernet Sauvignon Don Melchor (Private Reserve) - Chile, Central Valley, Maipo Valley, Puente Alto
    Deep color. Opened with a sour citrus note, which dissipated fairly quickly. Following that were aromas of mocha, dark fruit, loam and plum. Nicely balanced, with flavors of plum, coffee, herbs and black fruit. There's a slightly sweet edge to the tannins. Long, balanced finish. 92-93 pts.

Decanted for an hour, allowed to breathe in bottle for another seven+ before the tasting.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AllRed,

posted Hide Post
    Thanks for the notes on all of these. Looks like I'll forget about my '04 for another five years+.

-IB

posted Hide Post
    Popped and poured the 2004 Don Melchor 3 nights ago. It was disjointed and angular, unbalanced, and really no nose to speak of. Each night since then it has improved. Finally tonight it is expressing some Cabernet characteristics on the nose along with some menthol and eucalyptus. Good concentration of fruit on the palate, with lively acidity and round tannins to balance, and a really pleasant chocolatey finish.

If you have this in your cellar, don't go near it for another few years!

Punch it , Chewie!

Posts: 1377 | Location: Edmonton | Registered: Jul 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post