WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    2004 Concha y Toro Don Melchor
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2004 Concha y Toro Don Melchor
 Login/Join 
posted
(2004 Concha y Toro Don Melchor) Tasting notes request. This wine was recently released. Has anyone tried it yet? How does it compare to the 2003?

Thanks.

Posts: 45 | Registered: Nov 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Opened this past Saturday at a birthday dinner; hence no formal notes. But it is fairly disappointing at this stage. Nose and palate closed down, blackcurrant the dominant characteristic but complexity not starting to show yet. Decanting didn't do any magic either, just scared what fruit there was away. Tuck away safely.

-------------------------------
http://nettareegioia.wordpress.com
...e in auree coppe versi, copiosamente, nettare e gioia [Sappho]

Posts: 212 | Location: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: Dec 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow. Thanks for the note. I guess this wine then had just one "magical" year.

Posts: 45 | Registered: Nov 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Which one? 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002 or 2003?

PH

Posts: 15303 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
Which one? 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002 or 2003?

PH

LOL PH!

Posts: 256 | Location: N.J. | Registered: Nov 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Solomon: Relax. Although I feel that this wine maybe doesn't entirely live up to the hype, I meant to say that you need to give it time. The structure seems ok to me, so the future should be brighter, but right now it's closed down with a small and one-dimensional nose.

Posts: 212 | Location: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: Dec 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the 2001 that I have yet to try.. any suggestions on when it hits its absolute peak?

Opinion is nothing but truth for the Expert!

Posts: 195 | Location: Vancouver B.C | Registered: Mar 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BC,

It should be drinking nicely now, but will probably improve for a year or two. Why not pop it now and buy more if you like it for future enjoyment?

PH

Posts: 15303 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We opened a bottle of the '01 Melchor at a group wine night about 2 months ago and it was very much out classed on that night by a number of Cali cabs ('04 Caymus in particular) showing a lot of green pepper. The next night, however, it was wonderful. Based on this experience, I would hold the '01 for another year before opening, as I will do with the rest of mine.

"Good wine, good food, good friends...What else do you need?"

Posts: 521 | Location: northern Alabama | Registered: Nov 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would hold the '01 for another year before opening, as I will do with the rest of mine.

I very much disagree. I think the absolute peak will be March 3, 2008, somewhere between 03:00 and 04:00 GMT.

Posts: 231 | Location: Chapel Hill, NC | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BCsBest:
I have the 2001 that I have yet to try.. any suggestions on when it hits its absolute peak?

According to our hosts it's now till 2010

www.gpci.blogspot.com

Posts: 185 | Registered: Apr 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
BC,

It should be drinking nicely now, but will probably improve for a year or two. Why not pop it now and buy more if you like it for future enjoyment?

PH

Thanks PH! I will leave it be for a bit only because these fine wines sell out quickly here in Canada. Apparently our allotment sucks but I get what I can get my hands on.

Opinion is nothing but truth for the Expert!

Posts: 195 | Location: Vancouver B.C | Registered: Mar 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I get to try it next week, I'll take the best notes I have. We have 6 cases at work.

------------------------------
Originally posted by Board-O:
It's truly amazing the amount of meaningless posts you make.

"All men will hate you because of me, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved." Matthew 10:22

Posts: 2529 | Location: Illinois | Registered: Jun 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Senior Editor
Wine Spectator

posted Hide Post
If you're drinking any of the recent great vintages of Don Melchor - my advice is to give it A LOT of air. Decant for an hour if possible, ahead of drinking it.

As for the '04, it contains %6 Cabernet Franc, which is a good sign for the overall ripeness of the wine ('04 was a cooler year than '03 and '05). Adding anywhere from %2 to %9 Cabernet Franc has been one of Enrique Tirado's enhancements to the wine since he took over the winemaking in '97. Tirado also used a basket press for the first time on the Don Melchor in the '04 vintage.

--JM

Posts: 1234 | Location: New York, NY | Registered: Oct 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
James,

do you think I should be suspicious of the bottle I opened? I thought much like you and decanted into a wide base decanter something like two hours ahead. Yet I thought there just wasn't much there, even though I found no formal faults. I expected a richer wine with more complexity. But like I wrote, I felt the structure carried some promise of development.

If you find the time, your input is always appreciated.

Senior Editor
Wine Spectator

posted Hide Post
My experience with the '04 so far (tasting some barrel samples, but not the the final bottled wine yet) is that it should be in the league of the '02, but not the '03 or '01. If it's just been released, it probably isn't too happy after shipping here, so it could be a little awkward right now....

--JM

Posts: 1234 | Location: New York, NY | Registered: Oct 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, James. I'll schedule my next bottle for Halloween or so.

posted Hide Post
Now if we can only get them to use shorter bottles. They screw up my double bottle storage system

Posts: 1049 | Location: New York City | Registered: May 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to revive this old thread, but I couldn't find what I was looking for. I thought that someone had already raised the question about the large variance in the drinking windows of this wine - Jay Miller of the Wine Advocate had indicated that the wine would be best after 8-10 years and should drink well through 2032 while James Molesworth's window was from now through 2013. Any ideas about why there is such a huge difference? I haven't tasted the wine yet, so I was interested to know others thoughts on this. Is it normal to see such a big variation in drinking windows?

Posts: 1791 | Location: NC | Registered: May 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Senior Editor
Wine Spectator

posted Hide Post
Different strokes for different folks. I've had every vintage of DM, and have also tasted through multiple verticals of the wine over time.

Recent vintages (2000 through 2004) are the best for this wine - earlier bottlings often hit their peak at just 3-5 years, while currently I find it to be a 6 to 10 year wine. Does that mean it totally falls apart on its 10th anniversary? Of course not, but I don't think you'll get much more from the wine in terms of complexity and change after the 10 year period...as for a 25 year window? I'd say that's pushing it a bit...

--JM

posted Hide Post
I don't know about the '04 in specific, but having had the '99, '00, and '01 on various occasions I would not try to hold a Don Melchor for 25 years.

JM's window would seem close to what I've found - the wine needs time to age, but from how it tastes after 7-8 years, I just don't think it should be held much past 10-12 yrs. Just my humble opinion.

---------
Tim Burnett

Posts: 425 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: Apr 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
James and Montsant - I appreciate the info. I am totally new to the Don Melchor (yes - I am slow on the uptake on some of these things), but I was interested in giving them a try and was trying to get an idea for drinking windows/ageability and was really surprised by the large variation. This helps a lot. Thanks again.

Posts: 1791 | Location: NC | Registered: May 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had the '99 about 7 months ago, and I would say it is open for business, and drinking quite beautifully right now. The '04 which I had about 3 months ago (decanted for 1 hour) is, however, not open at all. I would hold the '04 for atleast 2-3 years.

Posts: 188 | Location: CPH, Denmark | Registered: Sep 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Senior Editor
Wine Spectator

posted Hide Post
Keeno: The ultimate opinion though is yours - buy a case, and drink a bottle each year for the next 12 years...then report back. Wink

--JM

posted Hide Post
I've had the 2001 twice, last time a few months ago, and I don't think that it will improve, though it will last for some years yet.

I'm letting my 2003s sleep for a couple of years more.

-------------------
Go Bruins!!
Go Tigers!!
Go Pistons!!
Go Lions!!

Posts: 10721 | Location: Oakville Ontario | Registered: Jan 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post