WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    TN: 2005 Reignac
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TN: 2005 Reignac
 Login/Join 
posted
Tasted 12 hours after opening. 75% Merlot, 25% Cab Sauv. Dark and dense purple in the glass that stains the glass. Lovely nose of creme de cassis, ripe blackberries and black cherry. If I tasted the blind, the nose would have thrown me off. The nose screams Napa Cab. In the mouth, though, powerful mouth coating tannins, earthy and a long, tight finish. It stays with you. It needs at least 6 months to mellow out. I won't open this for another 2 years. Great QPR for 2005 Bordeaux. B+/A-

------------------------------
Originally posted by Board-O:
It's truly amazing the amount of meaningless posts you make.

"All men will hate you because of me, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved." Matthew 10:22

Posts: 2529 | Location: Illinois | Registered: Jun 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear it. I have a a case or two of this coming.

Posts: 1871 | Location: NYC | Registered: Sep 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the 2000 Reignac 2 days ago and it was excellent. This is my 3rd time trying the 2000 and it was the best of the three. As you mentioned in the '05 the blackcherry component spoke to me in the 2000. The tannins in this wine are juicy and for lack of a better word "fun" and enjoyable. I would rate the 2000 91pts. Try the 2000 if you get the chance.

IW

Life without wine?...... Yeah Right.
The Unexamined Life Is Not Worth Living - Socrates
"Wine....offers a greater range for enjoyment and appreciation than possibly any other purely sensory thing which may be purchased" ERNEST HEMINGWAY (1889-1961)

ITB

Posts: 4921 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: Nov 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree with Berno, this is a great QPR buy. Had a bottle over New Year's just to have a taste and it was tannic and powerful, but classy.

Posts: 2204 | Location: Chicago Suburbs | Registered: Oct 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At seven years old and nearly 5 years after Berno's note, my tasting note on the second day is almost a carbon copy of his. Dark purple, very opaque, dense and glass staining. This is big, almost chewy and muscular, not as much fruit but rather minerality and some tar. Lots of fine sediment which give it a gravelly/coarse texture. Make sure you fo two things; stand this one up and pair it with a steak. 88pts.

"The hardest thing to attain ... is the appreciation of difference without insisting on superiority" George Saintsbury

Posts: 1529 | Location: DC Suburbs, Potomac MD. | Registered: Dec 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oct 24 2012: Dark purple/garnet w ruby brick on rim. Beautiful nose with licorice, dark fruit, plum, tar, dark cherry. Ripe and full on the palate but very smooth. Tannins have softened, but evoke mouth filling grip. Fruit is darker now, with darker tertiary notes. At peak. Drink now. Tannins still have mouthfilling grip, but fruit and tertiary notes will only darken from here. Could be starting to show oxidative notes. Opened up to a surprisingly big wine after and 1+ hrs. NEEDS cheese or rib eye to balance the tannins. Still lots of structure. Great QPR. 88

I still have a few of these and plan to drink them over the next year.

Posts: 1793 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post