WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    TN: 2006 Stefania Syrah Eaglepoint Ranch
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TN: 2006 Stefania Syrah Eaglepoint Ranch
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
How ready to drink is this wine? Should I open my first of six soon?

i thought it was drinking well for such a young wine. you can tell its definitely youthful and not what it will be, but its still tasty. up to you. i might open one this fall around the holidays if i feel the urge to, but otherwise, at this point, i'm holding off for another year.

Posts: 4224 | Location: Southern Calif | Registered: Jul 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I find my palate fairly close to several people here and you are one of them. I take your opinions seriously.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 37106 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think that this wine is drinking oustanding young. We've had 2 thus far, have another 7 in the Cave, and have 6 more on the way. I can't wait to see how this wine develops, but I think it will be hard not to pop at least a few more before the end of the year. I'm also having a hard time staying away from my last 4 cabs from the fall, but I know these are going to be phenomenol with time. Kudos to Paul and Stef! Not only are they making very tasty, outstanding wines, but they just seem like such damn good people. Can't wait for the chance to meet them! -mJ

http://jerseyfoodies.blogspot.com/
FACEBOOK: http://www.Facebook.com/njfoodies
http://www.rebeldiamondsband.com/

Posts: 1916 | Location: Capitol Hill, DC | Registered: Apr 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
  • 2006 Stefania Syrah Eaglepoint Ranch - USA, California, North Coast, Mendocino County (9/19/2008)
    Had this at the Ryder Cup offline in Louisville. Nothing formal as this was about the 6th or 7th glass of wine that night. It was well received by all, nose of dark fruit, blackberries and black cherries. Soft mouthfeel with a nice finish. Not overpowering at all. Didn't pick up the vanilla this time, but like I said - It was one of the later bottles to be opened. I'm adding another three pack to my fall order...92-93 pts. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Posts: 2104 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the note -

Posts: 6082 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
  • 2006 Stefania Syrah Eaglepoint Ranch - USA, California, North Coast, Mendocino County (11/16/2008)
    tasted this one after a 2005 Clusel-Roch Cote-rotie. Pop and pour.
    Nose - strong dark fruit predominately blackberry
    taste - lush dark fruit, like fresh juicy blackberries slight hint of dark cherries, but not overly sour cherry. The vanillia flavors seemed a little sweeter than normal in comparision to the cote-rotie - but I still liked it. very soft mouthfeel from this bottle. I liked this alot and thought it went great with the steaks. This was the WOTN. (92 pts.)

Posts: 2104 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
  • 2006 Stefania Syrah Eaglepoint Ranch - USA, California, North Coast, Mendocino County (11/23/2008)
    Wow. What a distinct syrah. The nose is really unique with a spicy black cherry and plums with hints of licorice and green herbs. The palate is smooth and velvety, really silky texture that makes this wine go down so smooth. Undetectable tannins and medium long vanilla finish. The palate felt just a little thin towards the end but a great bottle of wine nonetheless. (91 pts.)

"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

"Mimik" on cellartracker.com

Posts: 6649 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had my first one of these last night. What a great wine! We didn't take any formal notes. What I most remember is it being a little old-world on the nose with some game/leather aromas along with gorgeous crushed berries. The flavor had a lot of pepper and spice, which is one of my favorite components of Syrah. Great fruit and nice acidity. The four of us agreed that it was quite outstanding. Drank after dinner on its own rather than with a meal I didn't think it wold pair well with.

Posts: 5555 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2006 Stefania Syrah Eaglepoint Ranch - USA, California, North Coast, Mendocino County (12/3/2012)

Opened this to pair with a black pepper crusted filet with a cream sauce. Excellent pairing and drinking well now. Opened 2 hours before dinner. This is a chunky and spicy Syrah. Notes of black pepper, dark fruit and toasted oak. 92 points.

VM

Posts: 12365 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
nose of lead pencil shavings, walk in the redwoods after a rainy night mixed with some crushed black cherries

the mouthfeel follows through on the black cherries but rounds out with crushed black peppers finishing with some dried ginseng root and a fruity but bitter dark chocolate

great bottle opening up again

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12486 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post