WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    TN: 1990 Jaboulet La Chapelle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TN: 1990 Jaboulet La Chapelle
 Login/Join 
posted
After a corky bottle one week ago, we re-visited this again last night with a gracious replacement! This showed none of the TCA characters that the last one did.

Dark red with hints of purple in color. Notes of lavender, smoky blueberry pie, black rasberry, mineral, light dried fig, and sweet oak. The palate had a great glycerin filled midsection and a nice bottle sweetness to it. Long tannic finish with a touch of black pepper. This was one of the best Syrahs I've ever had, but by no means would I say 100 pts. good. And, with the # of corked TN's I've seen, and bottle variability, I would not go back on the hunt for more of this. I'm glad I got a good showing though. This bottle has plenty of life left in it, but I certainly would say it's in it's prime drinking window. 95 pts.

So much wine.....so little time!!!

Posts: 7015 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posted from CellarTracker

"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

"Mimik" on cellartracker.com

Posts: 6591 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
  • 1990 Paul Jaboulet Aîné Hermitage La Chapelle - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Hermitage (9/11/2009)
    Wino Guys Weekend (WGW) #3; 9/11/2009-9/12/2009: Opaque, purple/black colour. Brooding nose of celery root, vanilla, sweet black fruit, black olive tapenade, and hints of peach, cassis, and hot stones. Full-bodied, very refined and complex showing notes of peach, cassis, capsicum, celery root, black olive tapenade, and crushed black berry fruits. Long finish, with more celery root and cassis notes joined by just a touch of white pepper. Absolutely majestic! This wine has a long, long life ahead of it and I hope I get the chance to try it again. WOTW and probably my WOTY so far. (99 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Posts: 10881 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Simply a perfect bottle of wine, and expressing everything a true Syrah has to offer.

Enjoy over the next 30 years.

Posts: 30092 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post