WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    TN: 1989 Chateau Sociando Mallet (Haut Medoc)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TN: 1989 Chateau Sociando Mallet (Haut Medoc)
 Login/Join 
posted
I didn't see a dedicated tasting note thread for this wine so I figured I would start one.

Decanted for sediment then poured. Just starting to brown at the edges. On the nose, this wine is very young smelling. Lots of dark fruits and berries with some cedar as well as a hint of eucalyptus. On the palate there is ample fruit concentration with well balanced acidity and tannin. On the palate this wine again is youthful in its fruit and packs a pucker on the finish.

The 89 Sociando smells, looks and tastes like a wine at least 5 years younger than the stated vintage. This is tremendous quality/price ratio and it beat out several more prestigious wines at this particular tasting including both the 1989 and 1990 Cos d'Estournel! Last year, I had a 1996 Sociando that also was my wine of the night.

Affordable Bordeaux that is really well made and has the stuffing to age! That's convincing enough for me to plunk down some cash on 2010's.

Punch it , Chewie!

Posts: 1359 | Location: Edmonton | Registered: Jul 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had this wine last year and it was showing nicely, but I agree it is very young for it's actual age.

http://thewinenerds.ca/

Posts: 672 | Location: Toronto, Ontario (Etobicoke) | Registered: Oct 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got a few of these at the last Vintages auction. Have to say that I was underwhelmed.

Tobacco and lavender on the nose.

I tasted cherry popsicle stick, sour cherry, pencil lead, rosemary and black tea.

Way better with food.

Good, but I expected more from such an famous vintage. That said, I'm not exactly an expert on bordeaux, and true bordeaux-lovers would probably like it better than me.

I score this 89 points,

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bman,

-------------------
Go Bruins!!
Go Tigers!!
Go Pistons!!
Go Lions!!

Posts: 10598 | Location: Oakville Ontario | Registered: Jan 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had another bottle today and liked it a bit better. TNs were similar but the wine seemed have a bit more complexity and pizzazz, perhaps because it sat 2+ hours in the decanter first.

-------------------
Go Bruins!!
Go Tigers!!
Go Pistons!!
Go Lions!!

Posts: 10598 | Location: Oakville Ontario | Registered: Jan 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had this a couple of years ago and it was drinking very young. I still really enjoyed it and I believe that the fruit will eventually outlive those very stern tannins. I would like to try it again.

GG

Posts: 274 | Location: Galveston, TX | Registered: Apr 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post