WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    TN: N.V. Jacques Selosse Champagne Brut Initiale
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TN: N.V. Jacques Selosse Champagne Brut Initiale
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Winetex:
I also like the Cedric Bouchard wines but have found some bottle variation.

+1 Frown

Posts: 29999 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had my first Selosse Initiale (October 2006) a week ago and agree with W+A's comment that this is not a champagne for the novice drinker. This was a terrific bottle with subtle nuances of a well crafted and aged champagne that I think was a little bit lost on family members. Too bad it can be challenging to acquire.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Pacific Palisades, CA | Registered: Feb 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back to the Selosse - we put it in a blind Champagne tasting and it was knocked around by some big boys in its class. On another occasion the non-wine geeks (but wine drinkers...) didn't get it at all. Selosse wines can be subtle and need to shine on their own.

Posts: 1894 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jan 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Winetex:
Back to the Selosse - we put it in a blind Champagne tasting and it was knocked around by some big boys in its class. On another occasion the non-wine geeks (but wine drinkers...) didn't get it at all. Selosse wines can be subtle and need to shine on their own.

You truly do get it!

I trust D understand just how special you are. Bow

Posts: 29999 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had two initiale's this week, one disgorged in July 2009 while the other in April 2012. The two were eerily similar which makes sense since Selosse the initiale is produced to display the house style instead of a vintage. The 2009 took the cake as it was more open for business, creamy on the palate with white flowers, citrus, and finish of orange peel.

Posts: 1289 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: Feb 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
  • NV Jacques Selosse Champagne Brut Initiale - France, Champagne (8/9/2013)
    Disgorged 2009/10/21. Honey-gold colour, brioche, toasted hazelnuts, dried orange peel, Meyer lemon curd, pie crust, cooked apples, and a hint of sherry. Fantastic, fine bead, great texture and length - well over a minute-long finish. Easily 95 points. A superb bottle of Champagne. Drink now-2018. (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Posts: 10803 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So glad to hear it showed well for you. I am eagerly awaiting Domino's arrival at home tonight to have a look at those pictures from dinner. Our best to L.

Posts: 1559 | Location: St. Charles, IL | Registered: Dec 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A special bottle of champagne, and I agree with wine+art, not a bottle for the novice bubbles drinker. So much nuance that requires patience to elicit. Bravo!

Posts: 1544 | Location: Pacific Palisades, CA | Registered: Feb 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post