WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    TN: N.V. Jacques Selosse Champagne Brut Initiale
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TN: N.V. Jacques Selosse Champagne Brut Initiale
 Login/Join 
posted
  • N.V. Jacques Selosse Champagne Brut Initiale - France, Champagne (1/22/2009)
    Wow. This is an awesome champagne and different from the majority of the other champagne. Disgorged in July 2007. Decanted for 30mn. Powerful nose, very complex and mineral, some wood (sometimes reminded me of a good cognac). Full body, high acidity, fine bubbles, as complex on the palate as on the nose. A lot is going on there: white chocolate, citrus, apple notes, nuttiness, yeasty and a loooong finish....I could drink this every day of my life! (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Posts: 1506 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Sep 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Man oh man, you're killing me here. Gotta gets me some.

I'm hoping you opened this for L's birthday. Cool

Joe
-----
Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ www.wineismylife.net

Posts: 13455 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
french16, as I have often said, not a Champagne for a Champagne novice, but the Champagne for the Champagne enthusiast.

I need to check the disgorgement date on mine.

Thanks for the tasting note!

Posts: 30026 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Terrific notes, french.
I truly must seek this one out.

I see it is at WL. If I'd only known about this. Steve8 was just there the other day (uggh).

Posts: 15416 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
w+a, I agree totally that this is not a Champagne for novice. Really special. This was still young in my opinion.

wiml, you're right! That was for Laure's Bday. I wonder if she really deserves it though Razz

K, lucky us that the customs in Chicago don't check for Selosse bottles in our luggage when flying back from home !! Pretty hard to find here.

Posts: 1506 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Sep 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
french16, just checked, and mine is the October 24th 2006 disgorgement date.

Posts: 30026 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:

Nice. Should show even better than mine then!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by french16:
quote:

Nice. Should show even better than mine then!

Holding one for your next visit.

posted Hide Post
Thank you w+a. Hopefully this will be soon.

posted Hide Post
French16,

Thanks for the TN. It looks like this is $139 at WL. Is this the best price you have seen? Where in Chitown are you located?

IW

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Italian Wino,

Life without wine?...... Yeah Right.
The Unexamined Life Is Not Worth Living - Socrates
"Wine....offers a greater range for enjoyment and appreciation than possibly any other purely sensory thing which may be purchased" ERNEST HEMINGWAY (1889-1961)

ITB

Posts: 4946 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: Nov 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
Terrific notes, french.

I see it is at WL. If I'd only known about this. Steve8 was just there the other day (uggh).

And I even called you to talk about the Champagnes. Razz

Posts: 10019 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
Terrific notes, french.

And I even called you to talk about the Champagnes. Razz

When you called, this was off my radar. Smile

Posts: 15416 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Italian Wino:
French16,

Thanks for the TN. It looks like this is $139 at WL. Is this the best price you have seen? Where in Chitown are you located?

IW

IW
I'm right in Chicago, in Lincoln Park.
I never bought one here. Back home, at my favorite caviste the Initiale cost 59 euros. So I make sure I always brought some back!
$139 seems about right around here. I can not find it here in Chicago.

posted Hide Post
Disgorged October 2009. Bought from a store with temp of 70 degrees which might be a reason why this bottle was more evolved than I would have anticipated. Color was pure liquid gold. I poured it in both a champagne flute (for the wifey) and in a chard glass (for myself). The bubbles in both glasses were aggressive. We drank this wine over a period of 3 hours. Early on the citric fruit was dominant but in balance with yellow/green fruits. As time passed this champagne become more vinous with butterscotch, yellow/green fruits which were in balance with the minerality of this wine. It went extremely well with the chicken and basmati rice we had for dinner. Actually, my wife who probably has a better palate than I thought this wine went better with food than any champagne she had tried to date. Me on the hand am sold on this producer!! 93-94

Posts: 1291 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: Feb 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gkapoor:
...Actually, my wife who probably has a better palate than I thought this wine went better with food than any champagne she had tried to date...

That's what I hear, and I'm counting on that. I have a small stash of Initiale shipping in the fall, I hope hope to experience this wine's food friendliness very soon. Thanks for the notes. Smile

De gustibus non est disputandum.

Posts: 3948 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: Jan 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman:
quote:
Originally posted by Gkapoor:
...Actually, my wife who probably has a better palate than I thought this wine went better with food than any champagne she had tried to date...

That's what I hear, and I'm counting on that. I have a small stash of Initiale shipping in the fall, I hope hope to experience this wine's food friendliness very soon. Thanks for the notes. Smile

Do you know the disgorgement date?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you know the disgorgement date?

It was October 2009. The local shop I purchased from has temp of 70. Therefore, I think this bottle was more evolved.

Posts: 1291 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: Feb 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Few questions for those who have tried the Initiale and Substance. How would you differentiate the two?

Also, how long do these wines age? Reason I ask is that they are NV but seems like they would well.

posted Hide Post
NV Jacques Selosse Champagne Brut Initiale - France, Champagne (12/29/2012)

Opened by Allred. October 2009 disgorgement. This was a Grand Cru Blanc des Blancs. Medium yellow color. Crisp. Steely character. Notes of citrus, lemon curds and roasted nuts. High bead. Very pretty wine with a long finish. 96 points.

VM

Posts: 12188 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These NV Champagnes age so very well. I'm holding a couple of the '09 back for more aging.

I missed Gkapoor's question from 2010. Smack

My lunch with Bruno Paillard taught me so much about NV Champagne, and their ability to age, and Olivier Krug also echoed much of what Bruno said/taught me when we shared wine and stories.

It is my opinion Selosse NV wines will age wonderfully and will reward the patience.

There are wines ( Cedric Bouchard) that I have found never really improve with age, and are best overall when enjoyed the first couple of years. I do love the C. Bouchard BdN a great deal and am curious how it might age, but why wait! Cool

posted Hide Post
quote:
These NV Champagnes age so very well. I'm holding a couple of the '09 back for more aging.

My lunch with Bruno Paillard taught me so much about NV Champagne, and their ability to age, and Olivier Krug also echoed much of what Bruno said/taught me when we shared wine and stories.

It is my opinion Selosse NV wines will age wonderfully and will reward the patience.

There are wines ( Cedric Bouchard) that I have found never really improve with age, and are best overall when enjoyed the first couple of years. I do love the C. Bouchard BdN a great deal and am curious how it might age, but why wait! Cool

I tried to pick up a Bouchard BdN for FKG's birthday but had to go in another direction

Posts: 5900 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
quote:

I tried to pick up a Bouchard BdN for FKG's birthday but had to go in another direction

Keep trying, Jcocktosten. I think it is his most unique wine.

posted Hide Post
I have thoroughly enjoyed all the champagne discussion of late.

Posts: 5900 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I too am a big fan of cedric bouchard and agree that they are delicois When young. Don't have any experience with his wines with any age on it but I'm bout to find out how well Bouchard's age as I just picked up a case of parcelle disgorged in 2003.

posted Hide Post
I also like the Cedric Bouchard wines but have found some bottle variation. I'm also not convinced they age very well but Gkapoor please tell us how those are.

Posts: 1897 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jan 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post