WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    2004 Tenuta San Guido Guidalberto Toscana IGT
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2004 Tenuta San Guido Guidalberto Toscana IGT
 Login/Join 
posted
2004 Tenuta San Guido Guidalberto Toscana IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Toscana IGT (2/18/2009)
WIML91+?

Tasted February 18, 2009 at an offline.

Opened and served immediately. Dark garnet to purple color in the glass, clear hue throughout. Nose of smoke, cocoa, rose petals and a mix of dark fruits. Rich flavors of mixed dark fruits. Medium to bright acidity, medium to firm tannins, medium to full bodied. Drink now with a decant or continue to hold. I'd hold. (91 pts.)

Joe
-----
Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ www.wineismylife.net

Posts: 13276 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a solid 91 pointer. Have you had any experience with the 04 Sassicaia?

Posts: 1511 | Location: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately no. While were in the area in October we tasted a ton of those wines from the 2004 vintage but somehow managed to miss the Sassicaia. We came 1 second short of ordering a 375ml with a meal one evening but opted instead for a different wine.

Joe
-----
Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ www.wineismylife.net

Posts: 13276 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had one of these last night and like it a lot. Regular readers will know that Italian is not really my thing (with important exceptions) but both mrs bman and I loved this wine. Decanted an hour earlier, it tasted rather New World-ish to start then finished quite Italian, to my inexperienced palate at least. No TNs taken but I will try to find more!

-------------------
Go Bruins!!
Go Tigers!!
Go Pistons!!
Go Lions!!

Posts: 10517 | Location: Oakville Ontario | Registered: Jan 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
Had one of these last night and like it a lot. Regular readers will know that Italian is not really my thing (with important exceptions) but both mrs bman and I loved this wine. Decanted an hour earlier, it tasted rather New World-ish to start then finished quite Italian, to my inexperienced palate at least. No TNs taken but I will try to find more!

FYI: The SAQ has the 2010 for $44.

Posts: 552 | Location: Prescott, Ontario | Registered: May 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Hayes:
quote:
Originally posted by bman:

FYI: The SAQ has the 2010 for $44.

Thanks. As I am off to Montreal shortly, I checked the SAQ site and saw that but it's not at a store near where I will be, but I can get it for only $4 more in Oakville Smile

-------------------
Go Bruins!!
Go Tigers!!
Go Pistons!!
Go Lions!!

Posts: 10517 | Location: Oakville Ontario | Registered: Jan 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks. As I am off to Montreal shortly, I checked the SAQ site and saw that but it's not at a store near where I will be, but I can get it for only $4 more in Oakville Smile

That's still a good price, considering it retails for right under $50 down here.

IMO, this is a gem of a wine, and one of the best (if not the best) "second wines" on the market.

Posts: 1282 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree that this is one of the better second wines out there. I popped one a few weeks ago and it really proves, time and time again, that it is a solid wine. It packs a lot of punch for the price. I'm envious of your pricing though, it retails for $65 where I live.. Confused

Posts: 203 | Location: Canada | Registered: Aug 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post