WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    2004 Bordeaux thread
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2004 Bordeaux thread
 Login/Join 
posted
I've noticed some of us are starting to drink 2004 Bordeaux. I thought it might be nice to keep an eye on how the vintage is evolving by posting notes in one thread about them in addition to any other threads dedicated to a specific wine.

My recents:

2004 Chateau Lascombes still needs time. It took about 3 hours after two passes through a Vinturi to show its best. Lots of cedar on the nose, a bit rough, but eventually it smoothed out. I'd hold this another 5 years or so.

2004 Chateau Smith Haut Lafitte- excellent. This was the first red Graves I've had in a few years, to the best of my knowledge, that was not an Haut Brion or La Mission. This was loaded with cedar and wet earth, a well-blanced delicious wine.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36781 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2004 Cheval Blanc - Opened this just over a year ago and, with an hour in glass, it really opened up. Stunning? No. But drinking very nicely. Well balanced and a mid-long finish. Classic C-B, just a number of steps below the greats. This will provide years of enjoyment. I see no evidence of impending periods of closure.

Posts: 15477 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2004 pagodes de cos - ready to go. Nice plummy/currant nose. Smooth texture. Hint of leather. Nice, but not excellent. (last week)

Also had a 2004 Lucia a month ago. Not great - fruit has faded, but fairly heavy drying and astringent tannins were still present. Glad I only had one bottle. I guess this was better two or three years ago.

Posts: 2104 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had 2 recently:

• 2004 Château Branaire (Duluc-Ducru) - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien (5/7/2012)
    Shy & reserved on the first night, this only starts to strut on night #2. Really nice licorice thing going on on the nose, along with rich dark fruit. Still quite acidic in the mouth but rich fruit, dark crushed berries and licorice. It finishes quite well, although could have more length. Very enjoyable, but the rest of mine should be left a couple of more years to blossom. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

• 2004 Château Monbousquet - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (4/29/2012)
    Very dark wine, moderately opaque. The nose is of smoky crushed black berries with graphite overtones. On the tongue it's got really good weight and good balance. Moderate tannins, good acidity, and decent length. Slightly bitter finish. This is a very nice wine, only the finish detracts from the overall quality, but even so this is quite enjoyable. (91 pts.)

Go Habs Go

Posts: 5562 | Location: Chicago | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently had 2...not ready yet:

• 2004 Château Pichon Longueville Comtesse de Lalande - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (5/6/2012)
    Sunday Night Tasting in KW (Andrew's House): Double decanted 1 hour prior to service, and followed in the glass for an additional 3 hours. Deep purple in the glass. At first, this was far more expressive than the '04 La Mission Haut Brion served along side it, offering up notes of dark and red fruits, cured meat, earth, light green minty/herbal note, and mild toasty oak notes by way of vanilla and caramel. Within 45 minutes, this closed up entirely and did not re-emerge. On the palate, a little thinner than it's counterpart, with notes of red fruits, earth, light herbaceousness, and caramel. Structure is moderate, with good and acidity and grainy tannins, that slightly dry the finish, causing it to be ever so clipped. As with the LMHB, all the pieces are there, but this needs an additional 5 years of cellaring at minimum to come in to its own. (92 pts.)
  • 2004 Château La Mission Haut-Brion - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan (5/6/2012)
    Sunday Night Tasting in KW (Andrew's House): Double decanted 1 hour prior to service, followed in the glass for an additional 3 hours. Deep purple in the glass. At first the nose was a little shy, but with some coaxing, it offered up notes of blackberries, currants, gravel, earth, cedar, graphite, and a bit of a green streak, characterized by notes of mint, green tobacco and a mild leafiness, but not in an unpleasant way. On the palate, exceptional balance, showing mild silky tannin and good balancing acidity. Notes of red fruits, currants, spice, green tobacco, dusty stones and graphite round out the lengthy finish. Rich mouthfeel, that currently outclasses the Pichon Lalande served along side it. I would wait at least another 5 years before trying another, with about 8 years out as an expected sweet spot. (94 pts.)

Posts: 1292 | Registered: May 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2004 Gruaud Larose - Had this week. I did not take any formal notes but I was not impressed. The wine had an unpleasant dill note on the nose and the palate. I thought the wine was thin and had a very short finish. Maybe it was just completely closed but I can't recommend this based on this bottle's showing.

Posts: 2180 | Location: Virginia | Registered: Aug 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had an 04 Lynch Bages that was tight as nails

but I didn't keep notes as it was still very tannic.

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12021 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 2004 Chateau d'Issan hanging around... is it time? I keep thinking I can let it ride as long as I can stand...

Ἐν οἴνῳ ἀλήθεια
En Vino Veritas

Posts: 289 | Location: New Orleans, LA | Registered: Dec 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am hoping that 04 is longer lived than what some of the critics are saying. It is my son's birth year so I purchased a little HB, LLC and VCC. I also purchased a few others for early drinking.

----------
Sometimes I read a thread and think we ran out of stuff to talk about like 4 years ago. ~spo

Posts: 2909 | Location: San Diego | Registered: Jan 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2004 Beau Sejour Becot - The only 2004 I've opened. Decanted for 5 hours. Pinched nose of violets and a tad of vanilla. Lusty palate of blueberry skin, plums and creme de vanilla. Medium plus finish, acidic cut and refined tannins. Somewhat drying finish. It seemed to tighten up over time. This will likely be better in 3-5 years when the tannins soften. Impressive at any price, but a good QPR for the $25 I paid for it on clearance a few months ago. 91

Posts: 124 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Dec 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think drab would would have a good laugh at this thread if he were still posting.

VM

Posts: 12250 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anybody checked in on Poyferre recently?

-IB

"Wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit."---Lindsay Bluth

Posts: 8879 | Location: The Circle City | Registered: Nov 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Indy, I have 6 half bottles and I might open one this week. Will post a note if I do.

Posts: 6469 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Glenn.

-IB

"Wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit."---Lindsay Bluth

Posts: 8879 | Location: The Circle City | Registered: Nov 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Me:
I think drab would would have a good laugh at this thread if he were still posting.

VM

Towards the end of his posting days I thought it was cute when he would drink a mature wine and then him and Board-O would talk about it.

Posts: 8685 | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big fan of 04 here, actually prefer it to most of the 03s

2004 Château Pontet-Canet - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac: Very much like the 01. Nose of florals, mint, black fruit, hints of mocha and tobacco. On the palate, cassis, licorice, cedar, mint, spice. Finishes with a wall of tannins. Needs a lot more time. (90 points)

2004 Château Smith Haut Lafitte - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan: Popped and poured. Nice nose of dark fruit, cedar, espresso. Palate had dark fruit, mocha, cedar, graphite, mineral, tobacco, but it was walled off by tannins that were nicely balanced with acids. Big time structure promises a bright future. Feels a little bit shut down right now. Not going to score now.

2004 Château Montrose - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Estèphe (8/26/2011)
From 375. Popped and poured. Nose of tobacco, cedar, graphite, red currant, mocha, blackberry, mint, bell pepper, anise. On the palate, black currant, sour cherry, earth, tobacco, anise, cedar. Great complexity and structure. Finishes with smooth tannins and great acidic kick. Drink or hold in 375. Hold in 750 or larger. (93 points)

GG

Posts: 275 | Location: Galveston, TX | Registered: Apr 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a few 2004's on a recent trip to Bordeaux with the Cellar Tracker group

• 2004 Château Pichon-Longueville Baron - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (5/21/2012)
    2012 CellarTracker Bordeaux Trip; 5/21/2012-5/24/2012 (Bordeaux, France): 65% Cabernet Sauvignon / 30% Merlot / 4% Cabernet Franc / 1% Petit Verdot. This is classic Pauillac on the nose in the form of rich cassis, freshly shaved lead pencil, black cherries, along with some aromas of fresh strawberries and red currants. Not quite what I was expecting from the palate, this was very light and elegant showing more of that strawberry that was evident on the nose, along with black cherries, lead pencil, asphalt, and some tobacco. A good does of acidity compliments the palate, along with a moderate amount of gritty tannins. Medium+ length finish, ending with notes of tar and black cherry. This being my first time tasting the '04, I'm going to have to assume this was somewhat closed and not ready to strut it's stuff. I'd like to try this again in a few years, as I've really enjoyed a lot of the other '04's I've tasted recently. Good+.

• 2004 Château Latour Grand Vin - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (5/21/2012)
    2012 CellarTracker Bordeaux Trip; 5/21/2012-5/24/2012 (Bordeaux, France): 89% Cabernet Sauvignon / 10% Merlot / 1% Cabernet Franc. Truly intoxicating on the nose, displaying concentrated dark fruits yet with amazing balance and elegance. Rich black cherries, cassis, and roasted espresso beans up front on the nose, followed by lead pencil shavings and a hint of oak. Some soft espresso notes follow through on the palate, along with rich cassis, black cherries, cigar leaf, lead pencil shavings, tobacco, as well as some cedar. A moderate amount of dusty tannins are evident, paired with medium acidity. Long finish that doesn't seem to end, but when it does it displays cassis and roasted coffee beans. Truly a delicious and beautiful wine, that while a touch soft of the palate, captivates you with its incredible balance and finesse. Outstanding.

Also had the '04 Grand Puy Lacoste one evening of which I did not take notes on, but from memory it was pretty tight and needed at least a few more years before it should be tasted again

Posts: 150 | Location: Vancouver | Registered: Apr 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2004 Château Haut-Bailly - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan (4/4/2012)
Spices and sweet fruit on the nose. I could smell this all day. The palate is complex, medium bodied with a long finish. Finesse all the way. This wine is starting to drink real well now. Oppened earlier in the day and decanted an hour before serving. This is my second bottle of a case of 12. (93 pts.)

Going where the water tastes like wine

Posts: 718 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Jul 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good thread.

The only '04 I've tried so far is the Pontet Canet, and I'd agree with GalvezGuy. I had a bottle several months ago that was really closed - nothing but alcohol and tannin. I don't think I'll even consider another one for five years.

Posts: 1149 | Location: Chandler, Arizona | Registered: Jul 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Based on my limited experience, I think the Right Bank and Graves will be earlier drinking wines and the other Left Bank wines will need substantial time.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36781 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Based on my limited experience, I think the Right Bank and Graves will be earlier drinking wines and the other Left Bank wines will need substantial time.

but isn't that typically true anyway? that the more the merlot component the more approachable it woudl be early? (speaking from my even more limited experience)

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12021 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, but not so with Graves.

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
Classed '04's should stay laying down for the foreseeable future.

Posts: 1864 | Location: L.A. | Registered: Dec 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2004 clerc milon - nice plummy nose with cedar box hints. Smooth at first, but the tannins became more prominent with more air time. I'm guessing this is at the very beginning of its drinking window. For my tastes, I'll hold another 3 or 4 years. (auction purchase in 08 stored perfect since then).

G

Posts: 2104 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Popped a half bottle of the 04 Poyferre last night. Decanted for about a half hour while I was prepping dinner and it did get batter as it got more air. Nose was really pretty with nice fruit and a hint of some of those classic leather, tobacco, earthy notes that I love in Bordeaux. Nice fruit and balance on the palate and while there are some big tannins, they are not harsh in any way. I would say to my palate this is still improving as I like mature Bordeaux, but if you like more primary fruit and don’t mind some tannin then this would be drinking fine for you. I would think the 10 year mark would be the start of this wines prime.

Posts: 6469 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post