WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    TN: 2006 Tyler Santa Rita Hills Pinot Noir Fiddlestix
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TN: 2006 Tyler Santa Rita Hills Pinot Noir Fiddlestix
 Login/Join 
posted
Opened this today to use in Beef Burgundy and drink with the meal. Last of two bottles. I can't find a note on the first, but I remember enjoying it. Tonight mostly raspberry on the nose with a little spice. Red berry flavors with some earthiness and nice acidity. No heat whatsoever (14.3 ABV). I thought it was in a great place right now. Another example of why I like most Calif. Pinot with about 5-6 years on it. Good QPR at the $33 I paid. I don't seem to see much about this winery, but I'm going to be keeping my eye out for more recent vintages. 91 pts

“Appreciating old wine is like making love to a very old lady. It is possible. It can even be enjoyable. But it requires a bit of imagination.”

Andre Tchelistcheff

Posts: 2563 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Jan 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love Fiddlestix fruit but I have not tried the Tyler. Thanks for the TN. The only vintages that come up on WS Pro for this wine are '05 and '06. I wonder if they still make this bottling?

IW

Life without wine?...... Yeah Right.
The Unexamined Life Is Not Worth Living - Socrates
"Wine....offers a greater range for enjoyment and appreciation than possibly any other purely sensory thing which may be purchased" ERNEST HEMINGWAY (1889-1961)

ITB

Posts: 4854 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: Nov 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They might not be. I did a search of Tanzer's ratings and no Fiddlestix for more recent vintages. On the plus side, ratings for other recent Pinot by Tyler received strong ratings. Even its base Pinot received 91s in '08 and '09 from Josh Reynolds. WA also rated Tyler for the first time in 2010, with Galloni's Pinot ratings ranging from 86-90; and he rated its two chards 91 and 92. I don't think IWC had rated 2010s yet.

Still probably going to keep an eye out for some Tyler wines on sale. Unless the price on the '06 is reduced from what I paid, I don't think I'll seek out any more of that vintage as I think the wine was at peak (and some who like bigger fruit might say a little past peak).

“Appreciating old wine is like making love to a very old lady. It is possible. It can even be enjoyable. But it requires a bit of imagination.”

Andre Tchelistcheff

Posts: 2563 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Jan 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i dont think they do anymore... Kathy Joseph throws a party called Fiddlefest where every producer that made a Fiddlestix Pinot in the prior vintage would pour and Tyler hasn't been there for the last few years if i remember correctly.

Posts: 4182 | Location: Southern Calif | Registered: Jul 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post