WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    TN: 2005 Joseph Phelps Napa Cabernet Sauvignon
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TN: 2005 Joseph Phelps Napa Cabernet Sauvignon
 Login/Join 
posted
This was terrific - what an excellent California Cab. This is probably getting to its peak - such great integration of oak with blackberries, herbs, dried cherry flavors. Full bodied, delicious, great complexity and a lengthy finish. For a non-vineyard specific Napa Cab this drank like wines 3-4x the value. 93

"This may be the wine talking but I want some more wine"

Posts: 1022 | Location: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the notes! I have a couple and I hadn't thought about them sitting in the bottom of my cellar for awhile.

Posts: 9376 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah it might be time to crack one - I opened one in Feb. 2009 and thought it was still holding back. This time it was gorgeous and ready for prime time.

"This may be the wine talking but I want some more wine"

Posts: 1022 | Location: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Consumed tonight with a dinner of grilled Prime grade New York steak. I'd agree with the prior sentiment that this is hitting its peak. Very good harmony of blackberries and bay leaf, with tannins providing a subtle and welcome structure to bring it all together. Parker's sentiment that this is "Bordeaux-like" carries a kernel of truth, though I'd say it's more of a classic cab in the style found often in the decades of the 80s and 90s in Napa Valley.

Posts: 783 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: Aug 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post