WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    TN: 2004 John Duval Wines Entity Shiraz
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TN: 2004 John Duval Wines Entity Shiraz
 Login/Join 
posted
2004 John Duval Wines Entity Shiraz - Barossa Valley, Australia
Decanted 4 hr’s. Floral and powerful nose of blue & black berries and smoke. Rich, deep, succulent blue & black berry flavors elegantly balanced with white pepper, smoky spice, some vanilla, a hint of violet and silky smooth, velveteen tannins. A consistent palate throughout with ample depth and acidity for a long life in the cellar. S94 4/15/2006

Posts: 5241 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: Jun 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Popped and poured. Dark fruits, coffe and vanilla notes. Very balanced and a more syrah-ish style, I would not have guessed Aussie if the tasted blind.

You almost take how solid this wine is forgranted. I literally thought, "Well, this is fine but not spectacular," until the next bottle, a 2003 Craneford Merlot, reminded me that a wine with no flaws is something special.

92 pts.

---------
Tim Burnett

Posts: 425 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: Apr 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try the 2005, another WOW wine from Mr. Duval.

Posts: 108 | Location: Washington | Registered: Oct 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
  • 2004 John Duval Wines Shiraz Entity - Australia, South Australia, Barossa, Barossa Valley (11/1/2007)
    Decanted one hour. A nicely balanced, fruit forward wine with flavors of currants, blackberry and cassis with enough acidity to balance out the big fruit on the full bodied profile. A nice 35-40 second finish of dark fruit, oak, and smoke that makes me think of N. Rhones on steroids. What an Australian wine should be, a controlled and balanced ripe wine that still maintains a sense of balance and elegance. (93 pts.)

Posts: 2978 | Location: Boca Raton, FL | Registered: Dec 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
  • 2004 John Duval Wines Shiraz Entity - Australia, South Australia, Barossa, Barossa Valley (12/27/2009)
    Clean and subtle aromas of fresh blueberries, face powder, sandalwood, and vanilla bean. Intriguing on the palate, with nicely textured notes of Asian pickled plums, pomegranate, and red plums. Some drying tannins on the very long finish. A very well-made Shiraz that is both fruit forward and balanced. (90 pts.)

Posts: 672 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: Jun 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2004 John Duval Wines Shiraz Entity - Australia, South Australia, Barossa, Barossa Valley (12/18/2012)
-- popped and poured --
-- tasted non-blind over five hours on Day 1; and then tasted again on Day 2 --

NOSE: oaky; non-descript ripe purple fruits; clean; cassis; tarry black licorice; not complex.

BODY: black-violet color of great depth; medium-full to full bodied.

TASTE: oaky; ripe purple fruits; fruity; not leathery; adequate acidity; still primary --- doesn’t taste aged at all; sweet molasses/black licorice; creamy French oak; 5 hours in, a slightly smoky element has emerged; has, perhaps, aged to a primary-but-not-fresh stage of its life, and it’s not pretty; 14.5% alc. is well-hidden; little-to-zero tannin remains; drink in the near term? --- this does seem to be well-balanced, so maybe this could go longer – I don’t know. Day 2 was more of the same, with the oakiness standing-out more than any other characteristic. Overall, I was somewhat disappointed by this; I’ve been impressed with having tasted a few different vintages of this wine when each was newly-released, and I’ve always thought this could age well: this bottle has me re-thinking that opinion.

B: 50, 5, 11, 15, 7 = (88- pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Posts: 1819 | Location: L.A. | Registered: Dec 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post