WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    TN: '90 Dom Perignon Oenotheque
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TN: '90 Dom Perignon Oenotheque
 Login/Join 
posted
Delicious. Very clean and crisp lines. Mineral, stone fruit, biscuit/bread dough, chalk, and light passion fruit. None of the skunkiness usually found in dom. Great crisp laser sharp acidic finish. Fine mousse. Lacking a bit of the wow factor, but very well crafted. I actually like the warmth and breadth of the regular 1990 (especially out of magnum) better. 95 pts.

So much wine.....so little time!!!

Posts: 7015 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With potentially three different disgorge dates from Moet & Chandon it's hard to know if you are tasting the same wine.

The regular '90 is very good but also extremely acidic even now. But out of magnum it was superb.

• 1990 Moët & Chandon Champagne Cuvée Dom Pérignon Oenothèque - France, Champagne (6/18/2008)
    Light-medium gold color; Toasty and slight lemon aromas with superb hazlenut, spice and citrus flavors. Notable for its exceptional depth, complexity and fine mousse. Similar to the regular '90 but with added complexity. Perhaps a touch lighter weight than the regular 90, hard to say. Tasted at an industry Dom Perignon Tasting (thank you!); Probably disgorged in 2003 but I did not catch the date on all of the bottles. A WOW wine. (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Posts: 1901 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jan 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Winetex, are the disgorge dates printed on the Oenotheque?

Joe
-----
Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ www.wineismylife.net

Posts: 13575 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, the bottles I purchased say 10/2003 for the disgorge date.

Posts: 1901 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jan 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cool. So we can track the disgorge date.

I must admit. I'm really bad about posting those. I'll try to do better in the future.

Joe
-----
Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ www.wineismylife.net

Posts: 13575 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is my wife's all-time favourite champy.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5746 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
This is my wife's all-time favourite champy.

Sorry. <empty suit razz>

Posts: 30160 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This was served by friends at Thanksgiving, and I must admit I found it quite close to DRAB's TN. I gave it a 94 in my mind. Not 'classic' to me but very enjoyable. Not normally a big fan of this producer, the finest D-P I've tasted.

Posts: 15556 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A great bottle last night. The thought crossed my mind that W+A (and the other champagne folks) would have really enjoyed it. My WOTY thus far.

• 1990 Moët & Chandon Champagne Cuvée Dom Pérignon Oenothèque - France, Champagne (5/9/2009)
    Medium gold color; In a smaller restaurant flute we did not get all of the aromatics but certainly all of the flavors. This bottle was very complex with toast, honey, spice and orange rind (very distinct!) flavors. The honey flavors were strong but not perceptibly sweet. It was also very fresh with noticeable acidity. All of this with the longest finish I've had in a champagne in a long time. Superb and a WOW wine. Disgorged 11.03. (96 pts.)

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Winetex:
A great bottle last night. The thought crossed my mind that W+A (and the other champagne folks) would have really enjoyed it. My WOTY thus far.

• 1990 Moët & Chandon Champagne Cuvée Dom Pérignon Oenothèque - France, Champagne (5/9/2009)
    Medium gold color; In a smaller restaurant flute we did not get all of the aromatics but certainly all of the flavors. This bottle was very complex with toast, honey, spice and orange rind (very distinct!) flavors. The honey flavors were strong but not perceptibly sweet. It was also very fresh with noticeable acidity. All of this with the longest finish I've had in a champagne in a long time. Superb and a WOW wine. Disgorged 11.03. (96 pts.)

Winetex, I'm only 3 hours away! Wink

I'm pulling a Champagne today that may give you the same envy you gave me. Razz

I'm glad your bottle was clearly special.

Posts: 30160 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm pulling a Champagne today that may give you the same envy you gave me.

A birthday bottle? Hope it is great!!

posted Hide Post
A bit of mold around the cork and wire, never seen that before. Medium gold color, rich "in your face" nose, delicious mouth-coating flavors, very nice with a long, long finish. Wife kept grabbing the bottle "this is pretty damn good". Last bottle of a dozen, I think this wine is mature, but I am no expert on champagne. 95 points

Posts: 1649 | Location: Santa Rosa, CA, USA | Registered: Mar 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got 4 of these left and was planning on possibly opening one for Valentines day. It's either that or an 88 or 90 Krug. Not totally sure yet but I last had the Dom in October. It was drinking really well but seemed like it should hold for a while yet. I don't have enough experience to know if either of the Krugs are near their peak or if I should hang onto one or both of them for a while longer. I guess that's another thread though. Glad you enjoyed yours though.

Posts: 2299 | Location: NH Seacoast | Registered: Oct 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had this about a month ago and finally getting around to posting. No notes, just from memory.

This was disgorged in 93. Golden in color with a very fine mousse. One steady tiny stream of bubbles, so not nearly as lively as the last bottle I had but it might have been the narrower champagne glasses from the resort. (Note to self, bring your own next time) Aromas of dough, citrus, nuts and some toffee or butterscotch. Chalky minerality. First impression was that it was like drinking creme brule. Tons of flavor and almost creamy. As it opened up it tasted of toasted sugar, caramel, honey and orange/lemon citrus.

Very very good bottle, maybe 92-93, BUT not showing quite as well as the others I've had. I'm hoping it's not going downhill and was just a slightly off bottle. In it's defense it was one I had chilled down once before and then put back in the cooler so maybe that took a little out of it. I won't wait too long to open another and compare. If the 3 or 4 I have left are in decline I'd like to drink them sooner rather than later.

Posts: 2299 | Location: NH Seacoast | Registered: Oct 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This bottle was better than the last. Maybe this disgorgement is very good?

• 1990 Moët & Chandon Champagne Cuvée Dom Pérignon Oenothèque - France, Champagne (2/3/2013)
    Medium gold color with intense citrus, coffee and floral- aromas. Complex flavors of orange marmalade, coffee, vanilla. This bottle was dynamite from the cork pop. We were able to smell it in a crowded restaurant before it was poured (amazing...). My better half declared it the best nose of any Champagne we've had. Very complex with layers of flavor and a rich, silky texture. From a 750 disgorged 11.03. Enjoy at will. (97 pts.)

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Winetex:
This bottle was better than the last. Maybe this disgorgement is very good?

• 1990 Moët & Chandon Champagne Cuvée Dom Pérignon Oenothèque - France, Champagne (2/3/2013)
    Medium gold color with intense citrus, coffee and floral- aromas. Complex flavors of orange marmalade, coffee, vanilla. This bottle was dynamite from the cork pop. We were able to smell it in a crowded restaurant before it was poured (amazing...). My better half declared it the best nose of any Champagne we've had. Very complex with layers of flavor and a rich, silky texture. From a 750 disgorged 11.03. Enjoy at will. (97 pts.)

My mouth is truly salivating!