WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    Cassoulet Night (SQN, Pegau, Levet, Puffeney)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cassoulet Night (SQN, Pegau, Levet, Puffeney)
 Login/Join 
posted
CASSOULET NIGHT - Jimmy's Apartment - Chicago, IL (2/2/2013)

Jimmy decided to make some cassoulet, so we opened some bottles to go along with this hearty dish. We had a nice variety of wines - each bringing a different type of personality to the table. Thought the food was awesome...could have eaten pounds of that cassoulet!
  • NV Egly-Ouriet Champagne Brut "Les Vignes de Vrigny" 1er Cru - France, Champagne, Ambonnay, Champagne
    As exotic as always. Some truffle, pear, lemon curd and brioche. Lots of energy on the palate with great citrus and savory notes. (91 pts.)
  • NV Domaine Tissot (André & Mireille now Stéphane) Crémant du Jura Rosé - France, Jura, Crémant du Jura
    A great example of a sparkling rose that blends the vivid strawberry and lime tones with a steely minerality, and searing acid seamlessly together. A wine that demands attention. (91 pts.)
  • 2006 Bernard Levet Côte-Rôtie La Chavaroche - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie
    Pop and pour. Not many Cote-Rotie's still have this type of rustic and lithe profile and these are just a pleasure to drink. The nose has aromas of sausage, violets, olive, and tobacco. Incredibly silky palate that's airy, yet powerful. Great balance of dark fruits, rustic, earthy tones and dried meats. A great package. (93 pts.)
  • 2010 Jacques Puffeney Poulsard Arbois "M" - France, Jura, Arbois
    A really nice vintage of the Puffeney Poulsard "M". Light and airy red fruits with a brambly sensibility to them. Great acid on the finish of this too...makes you want to go back for another sip. Don't by fooled by it's beautiful light red color, this has lots of flavor and a real presence to it. (91 pts.)
  • 2006 Domaine du Pégaü Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Réservée - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
    Another good showing. Dark, rich and smooth this has sappy blackberries, meats, floral notes and some roasted herbs. Definitely had some of that Pegau funk on the nose - just love that aroma. (91 pts.)
  • 2009 Domaine Tempier Bandol - France, Provence, Bandol
    This will improve with age, but right now it's a bit brutish. Flavors are dense and jammy with there's an elegant floral underbelly to it that's really nice. Check back in 3-5 more years. (88 pts.)
  • 2006 Sine Qua Non Syrah Raven Series - USA, California
    Thought the aromas were really nice - meaty, briny, dark fruits, anise, and warm spices. Palate was big, bold and sappy. Its dark fruits are really dialed up and the acid is really dialed down which isn't really a surprise. Loved the aromas here, but the palate was just too young and burly at the moment. I think there's potential for this over the next 10 years. The lack of acid, in my opinion, limits how long this can go. (89 pts.)
  • 2012 Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Stout Cherry Rye - USA, Illinois
    A real trip. Tons of coffee notes, sappy, expressive cherry and smoke. One of the most exotic beers I've ever tasted. (89 pts.)
  • 2005 Château Suduiraut - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes
    Still has that youthful freshness to it that I really like. The tropical fruit flavors are rich, but the wine has nice energy and cut from it's great acid. A ton of balance and class here. Long life ahead, too. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

homogeneity is boring

Posts: 97 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matthew Latuchie:
  • 2006 Bernard Levet Côte-Rôtie La Chavaroche - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie
    Pop and pour. Not many Cote-Rotie's still have this type of rustic and lithe profile and these are just a pleasure to drink. The nose has aromas of sausage, violets, olive, and tobacco. Incredibly silky palate that's airy, yet powerful. Great balance of dark fruits, rustic, earthy tones and dried meats. A great package. (93 pts.)

• One of my favorite bottlings year-in-year-out in Cote-Rotie and yet somehow still affordable and "unknown". Glad you enjoyed it. Sounds like a great night.

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" -- W.C. Fields

Posts: 7507 | Registered: Dec 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post