WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    2003 Domaine du Pegau, Chateauneuf du Pape, Cuvee Reservee
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2003 Domaine du Pegau, Chateauneuf du Pape, Cuvee Reservee
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Agree, this is a fantastic wine.

"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

"Mimik" on cellartracker.com

Posts: 6502 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dear All,

I am a newbie at this forum but have enjoyed reading CDP Pegau posts in the wine conversations. I would like to ask whether the bottle label for the Domaine du Pegau 2003 cuvee reservee is suppose to be printed with a 15.5% alcohol content (which I understand is the case for the '03) or a lower number of 14.5%. In a couple of forums (eg cellar tracker) I have read people posting that their bottle of the '03 Pegau had labels reading 14.5% to 13.5% alc by vol.

Thanks and rgds

engsh

Posts: 3 | Registered: Apr 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forums Engsh. My bottles have the 14% on the front label blacked out and a small white label with 15.2% was stuck on the back of the bottle. Not sure if the winery or our government run liquor monopoly did that. Could be the latter because they do test wines they receive before they release to stores. I certainly wouldn't be surprised that 2003 produced a higher octane version of the Pegau, but I didn't get any heat from it and the wine is soooooo good. Cool

Posts: 9672 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey thanks steve8, that help clear things a bit for me. Presumably Pegau is using standard labels for the '03.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Apr 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
  • 2003 Domaine du Pégaü Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Réservée - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (4/20/2009)
    Solid. Decanted for 2 hours. Dark rather reticent nose that displayed notes of plums/prunes/raisins, some blackberry, dark cherries, cedar, licorice and plums. Really dense and rich and slightly hot with a strong port-like scent. The palate is very structured, dense with tightly wound-up tannins on a grainy but long long dense raisiny finish. Great structure and lots and lots of potential for the future. Really nice wine. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

Posts: 6502 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mimik- thanks for the update notes. I actually pulled a bottle last night and was really looking forward to seeing how this had progressed after 2 years, as this was an amazing bottle of wine the last time that I had it. I still remember strawberries in a glass and everyone just saying "wow".

This was not that bottle of wine. If you poured it for me blind, I would have said a cheap port. In fact, my tasting note, other than the first word and last 2 sentences, would have been remarkably similar, but for me, this was not fresh and bright and ... anymore. I would score this 87-ish points. I hope that this is either a bad/off bottle or just what a closed CdP tastes like, as I have 4 more and really hope that this isn't the future for this wine or I may sell my first bottles of wine ever!

I have 1/2 bottle left over to try again tonight, and am hoping that this opens up/changes back into what I remember and love(d).

thanks,

Dale

Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance. - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 867 | Location: Bloomfield Hills, MI | Registered: Apr 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dale,

I'm betting it's closed. I would hope that it tastes a little better after an overnight in bottle, but I have had this same experience with other top-of-line CdP's--when they are in their "shut-down" phase, they tend to seem overly pruney, stewed, and out of balance. But after a few more years they re-integrate and become the elegant beauties they were supposed to be. At least I hope this is the case with '03 Pegau, as I still have a 6-pack myself. I will hold mine for another 4 years or so. Thanks for the note.

Posts: 2894 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redhawk:
I'm betting it's closed.

I think that's a pretty safe bet. My guess is that wine needs a bare minimum of 5 more years, maybe 10.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36424 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Redhawk and Boad-O - I think that you are probably correct. I was hoping that with certain other notes seeming to state that this wasn't shutting down that I could really enjoy this bottle, but 2 years later this is a completely different wine. I have 4 left and will definitely not try another for several years.

But, I just opened the remainder of the bottle and I am encouraged. Strawberries are back in action. It is not the bright, fresh strawberries from 2007 but fruit is back, along with some interesting spice and the overly "port-y-ness" of last night is pretty much gone. It is still cold out of the fridge and so will let it warm up and will report back later.

thanks again,

Dale

Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance. - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 867 | Location: Bloomfield Hills, MI | Registered: Apr 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Iv'e had this wine a couple of times over the last three years and I think it will be rewarded with four to six years of cellar time at least.

Posts: 9281 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]
I think that's a pretty safe bet. My guess is that wine needs a bare minimum of 5 more years, maybe 10. [/QUOTE]

IMHO, CdPs in very good years take about 12 years to peak (for me, that means primary & secondary fruit on parity; soft(er) tannins), and can hold for another decade, plus or minus.

There are exceptions; last month, I caught the '89 Beaucastel & it still needs 5-7 more years (big nose, grippy tannins; still); the '88, in comparison, has faded rather a lot.

Have tried other '90 CdPs over the last few birthdays (Roger Perrin, Château de la Gardine "Cuvée des Générations," Chapoutier) and they are just beautiful right now. The Perrin, in particular, resembled an elderly Nuits-St-Georges, and was just lovely.

Posts: 745 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Mar 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dale,

I have had some mixed reactions to the 2003s. They are an atypical bunch, coming from a hot vintage with relatively low acidity and hence, an unclear aging track record. I would agree also with Redhawk as I experience the portyness with some CDPs from a very classic vintage such as 2004 when they are in a dumb or closed phase!!

And yes, Board-O is correct to say that this is still young and primary and more time to integrate. I am hoping that you see improvements, Dale, to your 03 Pegau tonight. There should be a difference. Let us know.

posted Hide Post
Okay, so I am back on (or very near) the 03 bandwagon. Most, if not all, of the port-y-ness of the wine that so distracted me the first night was gone and.... the strawberries were back!! Slightly more dried/ripe than 2 years ago, but back nonetheless, along with a funky spice smell that was very intriguing. The heat from night 1 was pretty much gone, and the overwhelming pruney-ness of the wine had integrated nicely. This went from, in my scoring book, 87 to 92+ in one night. I will definitely bury the rest and wait until someone else checks in, but at least I have hope for the future.

Thanks,

Dale

posted Hide Post
Opened this last night with Pinchos Morunos and rosemary parmsean croquettes. Poured into decanter, very little sediment. Tasted right away and it was a bit reserved and tannic. First glass 3 hours later. Wow, what a great wine. Nose of garrique, pepper, and black fruit. Really opened up in decanter. Full bodied and concentrated without being jammy, Balanced. Blood Orange and Iron. Still firm tannins so you will be rewarded with a few more years of cellaring but this is ready right now with a long decant. At the 5+ hour point this was amazing. Long life ahead of it. 96 pts.

Posts: 300 | Location: 90049 | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Opened and decanted for 2 hours before first taste.

Was hit with a bouquet of dried raspberries, garrigue, blood, and red vine licorice. A subtle spicyness that reminded me of hot Christmas drinks. The acids were present but not too taut. Tannins were velvety and were not overbearing. I just felt like.. there was more. I don't think this is really opened up yet and could probably use a few more years. It seemed to have a ton of potential but left me a bit wanting.

93+

Posts: 1240 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Danyull,

It sounds like your Pegau experiences were underwhelming, which is completely counter to all of my recent experiences. Any thoughts why?
Is it a preferential matter of style?
Were the bottles stored properly? Could be a sign of heat.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Posts: 1489 | Location: Pacific Palisades, CA | Registered: Feb 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wine doc:
Danyull,

It sounds like your Pegau experiences were underwhelming, which is completely counter to all of my recent experiences. Any thoughts why?
Is it a preferential matter of style?
Were the bottles stored properly? Could be a sign of heat.

Thanks for your thoughts.

You know, my experiences with young Pegau has always been outstanding. I actually think the 2008 way over-performed at the price point and for the vintage.

I think I just hit the 2003 at an awkward point. Not really fresh and with a lot of youthful exuberance, but not really aged and mature. I think once this wine gets past puberty, it's going to shine. I mean, don't get me wrong, still a great wine, but I think there's a lot more potential. 2007 and 2009 were the other recent vintages of Pegau that I've tasted and they were superb, but they're also a bit more juicy of a vintage.

I'll be visiting the domaine in about a month so I'll get a chance to ask Laurence himself what he thinks of the 2003 currently. =)

Posts: 1240 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danyull:

I'll be visiting the domaine in about a month so I'll get a chance to ask Laurence himself what he thinks of the 2003 currently. =)

I think when you meet "him" you might be a little surprised....

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3354 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aphilla:
quote:

Tell me more. I don't like unpleasant surprises...

posted Hide Post
If my grandmother had balls, she would have been my grandfather Wink

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5434 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by aphilla:
quote:

Tell me more. I don't like unpleasant surprises...

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=laurence+feraud+picture

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3354 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LOL, good thing I didn't call "him" a him in our emails.

Color me tickled.

posted Hide Post
My impressions of this wine. Four times, all courtesy of JAR.

GG

Posts: 265 | Location: Galveston, TX | Registered: Apr 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Garnet color of medium intensity. Nose and palate bring me to the Rhône Valley, sometimes more Northen and other Southern Rhône. Small berries, fresh herbs, leaves and wood, spices (pepper) and a great lenght. Fell under charm. (93 pts.)

Posts: 743 | Location: Montréal, Canada | Registered: Dec 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! We had this wine last night, the first of the six bottles I bought at release. It is stunning! No notes taken, just recollections. A little barnyard and meat on the nose. Rich, very deep, and ideally balanced. Great berry flavors with a backbone to age and improve for quite a while. Tasted immediatel;y after decanting and consumed starting 2 1/2 hours later. This is a solid 97+ with clearly some uypside potential. To the best of my recollection, this is the best CdP I've had in years. I'm so glad I have five more.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36424 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post