WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    2007 Stefania Haut Tubee - WOW!.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2007 Stefania Haut Tubee - WOW!.
 Login/Join 
posted
Last night, I took a bottle of the 2007 Stefania Haut Tubee especially for the appetizer course at Flemings Steakhouse. Although I didn't know the Blend (it is not shown on the bottle), I just assumed it was a Rhone-like wine and would match well with the (very spicy) Seared Ahi Tuna appetizer; and I did this knowing my wife doesn't care for Syrah!

A deep rich & thick black-reddish-purple wine poured into the glass, and with a seductive nose of fruit and flowers, I didn't know what to expect! Surprisingly, my glass contained a rich, lush, viscous wine full of dark fruits, minimum acidity, but plenty of backbone! What is this wine?? Well, I can tell you that $20 per bottle makes it my QPR of the year! But I still didn't have any idea of what varietals were in the wine until I read them this morning on the Stefania Website What a surprise! 91/92+

I'm still not sure if someone is playing some type of trick on me, as this was not a $20 bottle of wine. Was some other wine in that bottle, or did I get an enhanced richness from the last pour from the barrel?? Did the Cabernet and Merlot temper the Syrah? I think the 2007 "Haut Tubee" is a far more serious wine than the 2006 version, and I want more!

Posts: 7863 | Location: Germantown, Tennessee | Registered: Oct 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 2007 has quite noticably more Syrah character than the '06 and barrel sample of '08 I tried (which are more zinfandellish), mirroring the extra Syrah Paul used in '07. But you're right, it's an excellent QPR.

(But please don't raise the price, Paul!!!)

I didn't expect much from the '06 and had a similar reaction to yours. So I bought more of the '07, and will again with '08.

Posts: 4087 | Location: Alexandria, VA, USA | Registered: Oct 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lentini:
The 2007 has quite noticably more Syrah character than the '06 and barrel sample of '08 I tried (which are more zinfandellish), mirroring the extra Syrah Paul used in '07. But you're right, it's an excellent QPR.

(But please don't raise the price, Paul!!!)

I didn't expect much from the '06 and had a similar reaction to yours. So I bought more of the '07, and will again with '08.

Lentini,

I thought the Syrah (50%) was tempered by the Cabernet and Merlot, and the wine was more reminiscent of a Cab, or Merlot, with a little sweet spice from the Syrah. A very pleasurable wine, and like I mentioned before, at $20, my QPR year of the year! I still think someone played a trick on me! Eek

Posts: 7863 | Location: Germantown, Tennessee | Registered: Oct 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't link to their website right now, but I thought the '07 was Syrah, Cab, Zin, Grenache and Mourvedre... I didn't think Merlot.

Either way, that's the kind of trick you gotta like!

Posts: 4087 | Location: Alexandria, VA, USA | Registered: Oct 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Guys, we have to stop all these praise threads, or we're all going to be paying more!

FWIW, I made a second order of the Haute last year, as it was so good Smile

Posts: 569 | Location: Tucson | Registered: Aug 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've really gotten to enjoy making the Haut Tubee.

In 2006 we were not sure what it would turn out like. All the fermentations were these 200- 500 pound lots we did in 45 gallon tubs. Our plan was to throw it away when we started, but it kept surprising us as we aged it. Up until a month before bottling we still were not sure we should sell it, it just seemed silly to sell a wine made from grapes grown in our yard.

In 2007 we had a lot more confidence it was something we should do and we actually planned for it and budgeted it early. It also gave me an outlet for barrels from for other lots I didn't want to put in to final blends.

In 2007 I started with our home vineyard, and Millie and Kathy's vineyard as a base. That's Grenache, Syrah, Zinfandel and a tiny bit of Mourvedre. Later I added in Zinfandel from the Elandrich vineyard that was also just a few hundred pounds.

When we started doing barrel testing and blending I decided to add Cabernet and Merlot from the Elandrich vineyard. Normally that goes in the SCM Cabernet blend, but I didn't want to get the Elandrch percentage over 1/6 in that blend so a barrel went to the Haut Tubee.

At that point the wine was missing some backbone, so about a month later I added some Chaine d'Or Estate wine. I blended in about a 50/50 mixture of press wine and free run. That added more Cabernet, Merlot, and a tiny bit of Cab Franc and Petite Verdot.

The final component was Eaglepoint Ranch Syrah. I had tried out an Ermitage barrel Bradley Brown had recommended. The barrel turned out great, but it was so different from the other barrels I decided to add it to the Haut Tubee. It added the new oak and spice flavors. Bradley thought I was nuts, he said he would have bottled the barrel on its own.

I hate the idea of 'hostage' wines, and Stef and I really want to keep this as our 'anti-hostage' wine. A really good, small lot, hand made wine for $20 and you don't have to buy anything else to get it. Kind of my middle finger to snotty mailing lists.

Paul Romero (tlily)- Owner, Winemaker, Parking Attendant
Stefania Wine
http://www.stefaniawine.com

Posts: 8197 | Location: Gilroy, CA  | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Paul,

How do I get ANY of your wines into my cellar? I tried your Cab on the way to Otis's house and loved it.

"Grape works as a soda - sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie." - Larry David

Posts: 6596 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lentini:
I can't link to their website right now, but I thought the '07 was Syrah, Cab, Zin, Grenache and Mourvedre... I didn't think Merlot.

Either way, that's the kind of trick you gotta like!

Lentini,

Yes, the website shows it does include Merlot in the final blend!

The final belnd was just over 50% Syrah in 2007, with Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Zinfandel, Grenache and Mourvedre also in the blend.

It's a surprising blend, and a great blend!

posted Hide Post
Paul's feet are what add the signature spice.

Posts: 2117 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
Paul,

How do I get ANY of your wines into my cellar? I tried your Cab on the way to Otis's house and loved it.

Cool

Posts: 3010 | Location: San Luis Obispo, CA | Registered: Mar 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had my 2nd bottle of this on Saturday night and was impressed. I thought it was a step up from the 2006 (so going from an 88pt wine to a 91-92 pt wine). Loved the spiciness and complexity of the wine. Keep it up!!

Posts: 971 | Location: La Selva Beach,CA | Registered: Jan 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The bottle I opened new year's day was showing a nice smoky/meaty note that I hadn't gotten before. Very impressive juice.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Mountain View, CA | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, I tried another bottle of the 2007 Stafania Haut Tubee last night, and it was equal to the bottle we had 2 nights ago. A unique blend of Syrah, Cabernet, Merlot, Grenache, Mouverdre, and Zinfandel; this has turned out to be a far better blend than it may sound. Again, this surprising wine is my QPR wine of the year. I placed another order today!

posted Hide Post
Alright you bums, all this reading made me pop one last night, and I was definitely not disappointed! My notes are here: http://jerseyfoodies.blogspot....ania-haut-tubee.html I don't think this case is going to make it to 2011! Great stuff! -mJ

http://jerseyfoodies.blogspot.com/
FACEBOOK: http://www.Facebook.com/njfoodies

Posts: 1933 | Location: Capitol Hill, DC | Registered: Apr 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've ordered from Stefania every time except this most recent time. I am so swamped with too much wine that I've cut out 90% of my buying, but reading this thread is making me think I made a mistake.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 41099 | Location: FL | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
E-mail Paul Board-O! I am sure that he will be more than willing to offer you some wine with what they have leftover.

I cannot say enough good things about them, from the wines to their customer service. For what these wines cost, it is a no brainer. They are by far the largest producer in our cellar, and we take all that we are offered.

This wine verifies that, and at $16 a bottle on futures, I too think this will be the 2010 QPR of the year for many.

For those of you who didn't click the link, here are my notes: Tonight there was no time to decant, so this wine was popped and poured. Again, classic Stefania color in the glass, with a nice purple/dark red hue reminiscent of a nice Rhone styled blend. On the nose, there are so many things going on, but what really stands out are the black fruits: blackberry, and hints of blueberry and boysenberry. There is definitely a ton of spice on the nose, but nice floral notes as well. The last thing I can get from the nose is a nice creamy caramel sweetness that is full of pleasure. On the palate, this wine if hard to figure out because there is just so much going on. There is so much fruit on the palate that it is insane. Is it really possible that this wine has been in the bottle for less than a year at his point? Surprisingly, I found more red fruits on the palate than the black fruits that I smelled on the nose. The palate reviews lush tones of raspberry, strawberry, and other red berries. There is definitely some nice spice to this wine, which I am assuming comes from the zinfandel in the blend. Finally, there are some hints of toasted cedar, and a ton of complexity, with a nice tannic backbone, and subtle acidity. For such a young wine, this is drinking very well, and it is only going to get better. I would guess that in another year, this wine is going to be amazing, and could very well be the bargain of the year in 2010. The one problem I have with this wine you may ask? Easy! A case allocation wasn't enough, and I need to get some more! All in all, another winner from Paul and Stefania, and this is one that is not going to last in the cellar long. I would truly be surprised if the case lasts through 2010 as this is drinking nicely right now! 90 points now, going to 91-93 with some bottle time! Cheers! -mJ

Posts: 1933 | Location: Capitol Hill, DC | Registered: Apr 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree.
I buy 6 of everything I get offered (would buy more if I had the $) and got a case of this.
If I was only allowed to drink one wine all year I could easily get by on this without getting bored.

http://scmwine.info

Posts: 7229 | Location: Santa Clara Valley AVA | Registered: Jul 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does anyone else like to tell the story of Haute when they pour it for guests? I always do.

Posts: 569 | Location: Tucson | Registered: Aug 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hate the idea of 'hostage' wines, and Stef and I really want to keep this as our 'anti-hostage' wine. A really good, small lot, hand made wine for $20 and you don't have to buy anything else to get it. Kind of my middle finger to snotty mailing lists.

I really like your thinking Paul Cool While I couldn't get any Stefania in or into Canada, now that I'm moving to Guatemala, I may try to have a case or two sent to whichever wine retailer I can persuade to order it. I loved what you poured at the second last CDP and it sounds like it's only getting better.

-------------------
Go Bruins!!
Go Tigers!!
Go Pistons!!
Go Lions!!

Posts: 11952 | Location: Ottawa Ontario | Registered: Jan 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
quote:

I really like your thinking Paul Cool While I couldn't get any Stefania in or into Canada, now that I'm moving to Guatemala, I may try to have a case or two sent to whichever wine retailer I can persuade to order it. I loved what you poured at the second last CDP and it sounds like it's only getting better.

bman,

Say it isn't so! Guatemala is too far from Canada, and the climate is nothing like Northern NY! How long will you be in Gateamala? I don't think you're going to find any Port wine in Guatemala! Frown

posted Hide Post
DAY 2: Stored in the fridge overnight after a vacuum. The nose on this wine seemed to show a bit more alcohol today, however, it seemed to blow off as the glass warmed up over the course of an hour. Very strange as it is usually the opposite. As the glass warmed, the black fruits were more pronounced on the nose, with a hint of white pepper. On the palate, at first, the wine seemed to pick up more acidity over night, which I thought was odd. I figured if anything, it would mellow out a bit. The fruits again seemed to come out a bit more from last night, and you could really taste and feel the syrah influence in this wine, especially with the white pepper. Other than that, there were not a lot of changes with this wine, and I think that it is going to need a few more months in the bottle before it will really start to show it's potential. Regardless, I am not going to change the score on this wine, but I do look forward to seeing how it develops. This was vacuumed again with about a glass left, and will be revisited again tomorrow, but I am not sure that I am expecting good results.

DAY 3: WOW!!!!! This is exactly where this wine should be, and I cannot wait until this wine is like this with some age right out of the bottle. Still a bit of alocohol on the nose, but the fruit is nice, and there is a nice sweetness to it. On the palate, the red fruits are nice and lush, the heat is toned down, and there are some nice white pepper hints. The finish still has a nice acidity to it, and the tannins are mellowed. Again, the pepper seems to come through on the finish,and you really taste the syrah influence. All in all, day 3 gets this wine another point. I'm sure we'll pop another before the end of the month, and I look forward to seeing this wine develop! 91 points at day 3! -mJ

posted Hide Post
I'm told there are retailers who offer some high-end stuff, but perhaps not port, Latour. According to my wife, we have enough already. Not sure what that means.... Wink

-------------------
Go Bruins!!
Go Tigers!!
Go Pistons!!
Go Lions!!

Posts: 11952 | Location: Ottawa Ontario | Registered: Jan 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can't keep my hands off of this wine. Second bottle popped and poured tonight. Another winner! -mJ

posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by gigabit:
Paul,

How do I get ANY of your wines into my cellar? QUOTE]Yes...how long is the wait list?

Posts: 1804 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
I'm told there are retailers who offer some high-end stuff, but perhaps not port, Latour. According to my wife, we have enough already. Not sure what that means.... Wink

bman

Is this a permanent move? Also, you really have to have a good cellar to keep that Port cool!