WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    S FL Offline featuring 1988 Bordeaux
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S FL Offline featuring 1988 Bordeaux
 Login/Join 
posted
Well jburman outdid himself again. Another fabulous evening of food (wonderfully prepared by K's dad), wine, and company. Ole jb has set the bar high and others in the group have stepped up too, making for a great night of wine.

S FL WS GROUP TASTES 1988 BORDEAUX (AND OTHERS) - Jupiter, FL (2/23/2013)

The extremely generous and hospitable JB invited the group over to enjoy scallops and prime rib and a whole lotta great wine. Another memorable evening of great food, wine and company.
  • 2000 Philipponnat Champagne Brut Clos des Goisses - France, Champagne
    Was gone by the time I arrived. Must have been good!
  • NV Billecart-Salmon Champagne Brut Réserve - France, Champagne
    Did not taste as I was distracted by someone handing me a glass of SQN.
  • 1998 Sine Qua Non Backward & Forward - USA, California, Napa Valley
    Thick and viscous texture, reserved and fading pear and melon fruit with minerals and crushed stones on the finish. The fading fruit allows the alcohol to come through more as well. Past its prime, but still interesting to drink. (89 pts.)
  • 2007 Alban Vineyards Syrah Reva Alban Estate Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Edna Valley
    Very full body with rich dark fruit of plum, currants, and blackberry. The key to this wine is that it has a wonderful balance despite its heft and 15.8% alcohol. Low to medium acidity with a long finish of 45 sec. (94 pts.)
  • 2009 Keplinger Red Slope - USA, California, Sonoma County, Knights Valley
    This is nearly all grenache, and it showed less body and more acidity (both medium plus) than the syrahs. Also veered more towards red fruit with a bright, focused profile. This will likely get better with more time in the bottle. (92 pts.)
  • 2009 Jemrose Syrah Cardiac Hill Bennett Valley - USA, California, Sonoma County, Bennett Valley
    This did not show as well as when last tasted at the winery as it was poured into a decanter and then almost immediately tasted and consumed. Its youth requires more air time right now, but its wonderful meaty and smoky nose started to come around in some of my last sips. Fairly full bodied, with lush dark fruit, but avoids some of the extraction and tar notes often found in New World syrah. (92 pts.)
  • 2005 Silvio Grasso Barolo - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    Tight initially, but opened up nicely with some air, with cherry fruit on a medium body frame and medium acidity. Classy wine with an elegant finish. (91 pts.)
  • 1988 Château Léoville Las Cases - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien
    Blackberry and currant fruit, with medium body and acidity, and graphite notes on the nose and finish. A nice enough wine, but a little disappointing given its pedigree. (91 pts.)
  • 1988 Château La Mission Haut-Brion - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan
    Incredibly silky and refined. Total balance and elegance. Medium plus body currant fruit with some light graphite and cedar notes. A classic Bordeaux. WOTN for me and most others. (95 pts.)
  • 1988 Château Lynch-Bages - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac
    Another magnificently balanced wine that featured a slightly redder fruit profile that comes across as high toned that I often get from this wine. Medium plus body and medium acidity with a lovely 40 sec finish. (93 pts.)
  • 1988 Château Pichon Longueville Comtesse de Lalande - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac
    Some earth on the nose and entry that leads in to a spicy, zesty mid palate. A bit different from the other 88's tonight, but still in a nice way. (92 pts.)
  • 1990 Château Le Bon Pasteur - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol
    I did not get a chance to taste, but the reviews were good.
  • 1988 Château Gruaud Larose - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien
    Some said corked, others said just off, but not a sound bottle. NR (flawed)
  • 1988 Château Sociando-Mallet - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Haut-Médoc
    Badly corked. NR (flawed)
  • 1987 Dunn Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley - USA, California, Napa Valley
    This had a bit more fruit than the Bordeaux (not surprising), and also higher acidity (surprising). Red fruit stuck out to me, getting cherry and even some strawberry, with some tobacco notes on the finish. Medium to full body and medium to high acidity. Surprisingly vibrant for a 26 year old wine, and even needed some air time to flesh it out. (92 pts.)
  • 1988 Château Léoville Barton - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien
    Some leather on the entry and then some classic LB notes of graphite, cedar, and tobacco with dark currant fruit. Medium to full body and medium acidity. Very balanced wine and one of the best of the evening. (93 pts.)
  • 1982 Château Branaire (Duluc-Ducru) - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien
    Lighter body than most of the 88's and a more delicate and feminine wine. Still a lovely expression of aged bordeaux with complexity and delicate nuances rather than power. I would drink these soon to get the full experience they can offer. (93 pts.)
  • 2001 Château Rieussec - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes
    As with my previous experience, this is esquisitely balanced between sweetness and acidity offering apricot, honey, and a hint of orange peel at the end. Magnificent sauternes. (95 pts.)
  • 1998 E. Guigal Côte-Rôtie La Turque - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie
    Began tasting after about a half hour of decanting, which honestly was not enough to do it justice. Cloudy appearance, with some initial high acidity that settled down with more air time. Got a little bloody meat and a hint of bacon among the dark currant fruit. At this point, my palate was almost shot and not able to fully appreciate this lovely wine which I have developed an immense respect for. It was still developing in the glass when I had to finish it and head home.

EDIT: Updated to add wines.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: vinole,

Posts: 3092 | Location: Boca Raton, FL | Registered: Dec 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice notes. I wish my 88 LMHB showed as well as yours. I brought one to an offline a little over a year ago. While very nice, it was no where near "classic." Bottle variation, I guess.

----------
Sometimes I read a thread and think we ran out of stuff to talk about like 4 years ago. ~spo

Posts: 2975 | Location: San Diego | Registered: Jan 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great notes and sounds like a wonderful dinner. I'm unlikely to have the chance enjoy any 1988 Bordeaux, but the notes were great. Thanks for the note on the Keplinger and Jemrose. I have some of the Keplinger and the Jemrose sounds right up my alley, so need to keep an eye out for that winery.

“Appreciating old wine is like making love to a very old lady. It is possible. It can even be enjoyable. But it requires a bit of imagination.”

Andre Tchelistcheff

Posts: 2795 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Jan 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2000 Philipponnat Clos des Goisses
NV Billecart-Salmon

The 88 LMHB was the rock star of the night for me. The 88 Lynch/Leo Barton and 82 Branaire were 2-4 in no particular order. The 88 LLC was a disappointment. I would have put it under 90 pts.

Fun night. Glad most of the group could make it.

Posts: 4599 | Location: Jupiter, Fl | Registered: Mar 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the notes Vinole, as always.

I agree completely with LBJ. The LMHB was clearly the WOTN. The Lynch and Leoville were significanlty behind, but both very very nice.

The Rieussec was exquisite. Thanks MiamiAtty.

The La Turque was a victim of previous excess. Could have been enjoyed more under different circumstances, but enjoyed none the less.

Thanks JBurman and K, and K's dad!

Posts: 340 | Location: Palmetto Bay, FL | Registered: Oct 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
1998 E. Guigal Côte-Rôtie La Turque - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie
Began tasting after about a half hour of decanting, which honestly was not enough to do it justice. Cloudy appearance, with some initial high acidity that settled down with more air time. Got a little bloody meat and a hint of bacon among the dark currant fruit. At this point, my palate was almost shot and not able to fully appreciate this lovely wine which I have developed an immense respect for. It was still developing in the glass when I had to finish it and head home, so the score does not do justice when it has been properly decanted (or given further aging). (94 pts.)

Pfffff.... you guys opened up a '98 La La and only decanted for 30 minutes? What's wrong with you guys? You gotta give that wine some time.

Razz

I (heart) Burmans

Posts: 5037 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorgerunfrombulls:
quote:
1998 E. Guigal Côte-Rôtie La Turque - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie
Began tasting after about a half hour of decanting, which honestly was not enough to do it justice. Cloudy appearance, with some initial high acidity that settled down with more air time. Got a little bloody meat and a hint of bacon among the dark currant fruit. At this point, my palate was almost shot and not able to fully appreciate this lovely wine which I have developed an immense respect for. It was still developing in the glass when I had to finish it and head home, so the score does not do justice when it has been properly decanted (or given further aging). (94 pts.)

Pfffff.... you guys opened up a '98 La La and only decanted for 30 minutes? What's wrong with you guys? You gotta give that wine some time.

Razz

I (heart) Burmans

You are defintely buying lunch on friday.

Posts: 4599 | Location: Jupiter, Fl | Registered: Mar 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vinole, I believe it was a Silvio Grasso '05 Barolo. Very nice notes on the night, and much appreciated.

Posts: 1661 | Location: Miami, Fl | Registered: Dec 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds terrific! Wish we could have been there. I have a 1988 Mouton down there too.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36975 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great evening.

Does anyone that attended have notes/thoughts on the Clos des Goisses?

"Won't someone tell me what it is they all want?"

Posts: 6140 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Board-0, wish you could have been there too.

Gig, the Phillipponnat was very good but the more I drink this, the more I realize its not a good cocktail hour champagne. It really needs food.

posted Hide Post
Great notes and totally agree with WOTN being LMHB followed by LB and the 82 Branaire Ducru. Three very different wines; LMHB much more muscular but smooth with plenty of backbone to go for 15-20 years may be more; the LB showed some aging and a nice spiciness with plenty of fruit.
The Branaire in my opinion was the only one that showed its age in color, nose and taste. Very delicate with tertiary aromas, enough red fruits and long finish. This one was opened and poured.

I thought the Sauternes needed more time to open up but was very nice and honestly after all that wine My taste buds did not appreciate the lala which in my humble opinion needed some decanting

For the ones that were missed I have more Branaire to share in a future off line but unfortunately that was my las LMHB Frown

Posts: 2310 | Location: Florida | Registered: Sep 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm out of my stash of 88 LMHB. I have not tasted the 88 vintage widely, but the LMHB was far and away my favorite - over Leoville Barton, LLC, Cos, HB, Giscours, etc.).

LBJ - try the Phillipponnat NV wines - I think they are better at the cocktail to food transition. Also - I would assume the 2000 CdG was a little on the young and acidic side...

maybe someone with greater experience can correct me, but I have always understood the CdG bottlings to be longer agers and rather rough in their youth (similar to Krug Le Mesnil...)

G

Posts: 2104 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At the winery, we were told that the CdG is built for long aging. It's made from 65% PN, 35% Chard, all from the CdG vineyard and only the first pressing. It's aged in oak after blending. I tasted the 2000 CdG there and thought it was already wonderful, but would improve greatly with age, and that from someone who normally prefers Champagne on the young side.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36975 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We definitely missed you Board-O. I believe you would've even liked the Silvio Grasso. Wink

Posts: 1661 | Location: Miami, Fl | Registered: Dec 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hope to see you later this month.

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
With the Redknifes last night, we had the 82 Branaire Ducru - I think this bottle was younger seeming and more powerful than the bottle you had. Dark purple, plum in color - no bricking that I could see. Long finish - exceptional.

Posts: 6027 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post