WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    A visit to Rasa in Walla Walla, 10/4/2012
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A visit to Rasa in Walla Walla, 10/4/2012
 Login/Join 
posted
I had never heard of Rasa until it was mentioned on these forums. Board-O's notes were enough to convince me to schedule an appointment. Billo is one of the brothers who owns the winery and he was our host. He is a very friendly, engaging guy with a sense of humor and quite a laid-back demeanor. The "tasting room" consisted of a large piece of natural-edged wood laid over the top of wine barrels on the side of the production area. In fact, there were barrels being filled within 15 feeet of us as well as large containers of pressed grapess being moved about. October is certainly an interesting time to visit! Anyway, here are my notes.

2010 Vox Populi 100% Mourvedre – Deep red. Scents of raspberry and violets. Cranberry, blackberry and spice flavors. Light-medium bodied, nice acidity. 91-92.

2009 Occam’s Razor Block 10 Syrah – Inky purple color. Raspberry and blackberry on the nose with a touch of mocha. Clean, fresh crushed berries and cocoa powder. Not flashy; more silky and balanced. Seamless. Lingers quite a long time. 92.

2009 Doctrina Perpetua Syrah – dense inky purple. Pretty nose of spicy, ripe crushed berries. Thick and mouth filling on the palate yet with refreshing acidity. Raspberries and pepper. Long bright finish with a nice bite about 20 seconds in then some sweet spice notes. Big and showy but not over-ripe. 93-94.

2008 QED - GSM blend with 83% Syrah with 2% Viognier added. Inky, dark purple. Hedonistic nose of berries and black licorice with some sticks/brush. Just shy of jammy but acidity keeps it honest. Red licorice, cherries, dark berries. Big and showy, or as I told Billo, “slutty”. 93-94.

2008 Principia Reserve Syrah – purple, leans towards black. Ripe nose of raspberry and blackberry, very pretty smelling. Crushed berries and plums, smooth tannins and nice acid. Awesome. It was amazing how big and ripe the fruit tasted without being too thick or jammy. Surprisingly balanced for how big a wine this is. Delicious now but not going anywhere soon. 94-95.

2009 Living in the Limelight Petit Verdot – medium dark in the glass. Very ripe cherry nose. Thick mouthfeel dominated by dark sweet cherry. Not enough acidity for me. Nearly syrupy, but not over the top. 89.

2011 The Composer Riesling – light gold. Peach, mango and pear nose. Mouthwatering acidity. So many different kinds of fruit on the palate, along with minerality. Off-dry in style, a complex beauty. 94-95.

2010 The Lyricist Riesling – vivid gold in the glass. Gorgeous nose of pineapple, peach, and lemon. The ripe aromas are almost like a Sauternes minus the creaminess. Great acidic zing to go along with massive tropical fruit flavors. Citrus and stone fruits as well. Amazing length. Quite sweet, but also wonderful balance. Awesome now and I’m sure awesome in 20 years. To date, the greatest Riesling I’ve tasted and possibly the greatest wine since I started this hobby. 97-98.

I ended up ordering a mixed case - 3 each of the Riesling and two each of my three favorite reds. Rasa is an absolute ust visit (by appointment) if you are in Walla Walla.

Posts: 5471 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed your notes. You take much more detailed notes at a winery tasting than I do. I bought The Lyricist and Vox Populi. I want to bring at least one of them to an offline since not many people have tried Rasa's wines.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36844 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. The wines there were worthy of a little more attention. Plus, Billo was pouring generously and I was in no hurry to leave.

Posts: 5471 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post