WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    1986 Talbot
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1986 Talbot
 Login/Join 
posted
This wine was one of the better wines I have had from the '86 vintage along with the Ducru.

A full/medium bodied wine, showing tobacco, spice and berry on the nose and the palate. The finish was long and pleasing with a pleasant spice aftertaste.

While I think most 1986 Bordeaux are not ready, this bottle was drinking well.

Posts: 30180 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had one of these recently and would concurr. Ready to go, and a nice, classic style of Bordeaux. Score?

So much wine.....so little time!!!

Posts: 7015 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Drab, I rarely post a score because I tend to score lower than most. I will think highly of a wine and give it a 90, while others rip a wine and give it an 88. Smile

I would give this wine a 92. Wink

Posts: 30180 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Drab, I rarely post a score because I tend to score lower than most. I will think highly of a wine and give it a 90, while others rip a wine and give it an 88.

But, it helps with perspective? Now I have a good idea about your overall feeling on the wine. We all have different perspectives with the 100 pt. scale, but now that I know you're more of a Tanzeresque grader the score puts the whole package together.

Posts: 7015 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've still got an '84 that we haven't popped yet. May have to do that soon! -mJ

http://jerseyfoodies.blogspot.com/
FACEBOOK: http://www.Facebook.com/njfoodies
http://www.rebeldiamondsband.com/

Posts: 1916 | Location: Capitol Hill, DC | Registered: Apr 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd get to that 84' as soon as you can. I opened one about a year ago and it was completely shot. The 86' however is one of the wines that got me seriously interested.

Posts: 230 | Location: Springfield, MA | Registered: Jul 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had this again tonight. Identical notes as above....sweet tobacco, mixed berries, cassis, cigar spice, cedar, mint leaf, earth, medium bodied. This filled out with 1-2 hours of air. A really nice '86 Bordeaux that is ready to drink, and very compatible with food. Not showing any of the harsh tannins this vintage is notorious for. Long harmonious finish. My only criticism is that it lacks depth and concentration of fruit to bring it to the level the best of this vintage are known for. Otherwise, it is very nice. 94 pts.

posted Hide Post
Had this Sunday night. Cork was still solid but wet most of the way down the cork. The wine initially was a very light color with bricking. Nice tobacco and berry flavors with a hint of leather. Wonderful berry flavors with a long sweet finish. Really opened up after a half hour in the decanter gaining weight and complexity. Would buy again.

Posts: 2104 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update Thirsty.

I may pull one again over the holidays.

posted Hide Post
Offline at Dave's. Classic Bordeaux with dried cassis, wet underbush, cedar, but shows its St.-Julien side with darker notes of ash, smoke, earth, and graphite. Very elegant and balanced but still held together by a tannic yet integrated and round frame. Good, noticeable acidity carrying the fruit and earth notes through to a medium finish. Gave it 92++ (a 93, really).

Was tasted alongside a 1986 Prieuré-Lichine; this one was excellent... gave it a 94. Interesting to note the differences in these fourth growths - the P-L was more feminine, floral, a little sweeter and lifted on the nose with a distinctly smoother and more elegant mouthfeel plus a slightly longer finish.

Posts: 755 | Location: Toronto, ON | Registered: Nov 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tasted last night, ample fruit with hints of smoke and spice. Took about 20-30 minutes to open up.

Posts: 3721 | Location: Westchester, NY | Registered: Aug 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perhaps some of the lesser wines from '86 are coming around.

Hope... Smile

posted Hide Post
Talbot was drinking the best at a 86 dinner I went to last year. The FG's were all still very tannic.

Posts: 6538 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tasted this wine at a Bordeaux offline back in November. For perspective, like w+a, I rate an "excellent" wine 90pts, and people usually say I’m a very conservative grader. This bottle of ’86 Talbot was bought on release and stored in a cold cellar (52C) ever since. Anyways, here’s my TN:

• 1986 Château Talbot - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien (11/24/2009)
    Tasted blind – Deep ruby in colour. Dirty nose with some poopy notes, black fruits, hints of bell pepper and tobacco. Very northern Rhone like on the nose. Still quite a bit of tannin and acidity. Rich in the mouth and very smooth. Needs time. Excellent. 92+ (92 pts.)

Posts: 520 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Nov 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anybody had one recently. Still going strong? How much life left?

-IB

"Wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit."---Lindsay Bluth

Posts: 8883 | Location: The Circle City | Registered: Nov 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
Anybody had one recently. Still going strong? How much life left?

i had this in 2011.

Yes, it's absolutely fantastic mature bordeaux.

Smooth silky tannins, cranberry like fruits, it got the barnyard smell.

My bottle was deep ruby in color with light bricking around the rim.

I'd say it was ready to drink

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12229 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one bottle. Thanks to g-man, maybe I'll stand it up.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36886 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excellent, thanks guys!

-IB

Posts: 8883 | Location: The Circle City | Registered: Nov 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stood for a month, double decanted for about 1/2 teaspoon of fine sediment 1/2 hour before serving. Cork sound, stained almost to top.

Funky barnyard on the nose, earth, mushrooms, cherry compote, a little wet dog/wool. Gorgeous garnet color, tannins resolved, cherries, clean acidity, cedar, mushroom, earth. Very nice bottle enjoyed by several at a holiday party over an hour. Not sublime, but a very lovely bottle. 93 points.

-IB