WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    TN 05 CHÂTEAU D'YQUEM
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TN 05 CHÂTEAU D'YQUEM
 Login/Join 
posted
My lws opened this and a 05 marquax on 11/10/12 for public to taste for free!!!! Both were closed and tight in my opinion.
Golden honey in color, not as thick or sryup like as I was expecting. Fresh melon/citrus apparent prior to bringing in to my nose. Tastes of melons, citrus and a little honey/ginger. Nice finish but not as long as I would have liked. Have had much better Sauternes and desert wines than this (esp for the $$$). Not a numbers guy but I would give it a 88.

Posts: 807 | Location: Long Island, NY | Registered: Jul 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dd, I often find that young d'Yquem from a purported great year is too over the top in its youth. I've had some side-by-sides that illustrate this well. In about 1980, at a dinner with friends, we tasted the 1975, 1976, and 1977 at the same time. The 1977 is regarded as a relative off-vintage, especially in comparison with the other two. At that time, the 1977 was the better wine.

In about 1978, we tasted the 1958 and 1959 side-by-side. The 1959 is considered the far better vintage, and these were not infants, but I thought the 1958 was a bit better.

That 2005, my guess is, just needs a lot of time.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36982 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A big +1 on often enjoying off-vintages of d'Yquem more than the celebrated vintages.

While always exceptions to stellar vintages, ( '67) I do not enjoy wines that exhibit any cloying traits.

Posts: 30279 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On a side note, I also often much prefer Scheurebe wines to Sauternes. ( ducking for cover)

Posts: 30279 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ducking for cover? I agree wholeheartedly. I know I posted before about a dinner years ago with 9 people. The dessert wines, both provided by me, were a 1967 d'Yquem and a $17 half bottle of 1983 Kreuznacher Hollebrand Scheurebe Eiswein. Both wines were amazingly fine, but all nine of us preferred the Eiswein.

IMO, Scheurebe is the single most underappreciated wine grape.

Edit: corrected my spelling

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Board-O,

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36982 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
A big +1 on often enjoying off-vintages of d'Yquem more than the celebrated...I do not enjoy wines that exhibit any cloying traits.

+1

Posts: 15622 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Then might I suggest you avoid Canadian Vidal Ice Wines? Banana

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Ducking for cover? I agree wholeheartedly. I know I posted befoire about a dinner years ago with 9 people. The dessert wines, both provided by me, were a 1967 d'Yquem and a $17 half bottle of 1983 Kreuznacher Hollebrand Scheure Eiswein. Both wines were amazingly fine, but all nine of us preferred the Eiswein.

Not sure I recall that post.

You are a man of exquisite taste, Board-O. Cool

I cook several ricotta pound cakes each Christmas season, and Scheure is my wine of choice.

posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
I also often much prefer Scheurebe wines to Sauternes.

W+A,

I'm a huge fan of all things Scheurebe, but have had zero luck sourcing anything Stateside. I tasted quite a few from small family producers on a trip to the Rheingau, and was an experience I'll never forget.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shane, in the past I've gotten Scheurebe Eiswein from Zachy's. You might consider Phelp's Eisrebe, technically not an ice wine, because they pick the graoes at optimal ripeness and then freeze them, but it makes no difference to me.

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Shane, in the past I've gotten Scheurebe Eiswein from Zachy's. You might consider Phelp's Eisrebe, technically not an ice wine, because they pick the graoes at optimal ripeness and then freeze them, but it makes no difference to me.

I would add the wines of Alois Kracher. Their Scheurebe wines are brilliant.

posted Hide Post
quote:

I agree with that statement.

I also agree that, while I can really enjoy a young Sauternes I generally prefer a good Kracher to most (aged) Sauternnes

Posts: 15622 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I've only had one Kracher wine, a Chardonnay, but I have one or two Kracher Scheurebes in my cellar. Have you had any made since he passed away?

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
quote:

Have you had any made since he passed away?

I have not.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
I would add the wines of Alois Kracher. Their Scheurebe wines are brilliant.

+1

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return."

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post