WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    Gigondas tasting
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gigondas tasting
 Login/Join 
posted
Feb 22, 2013 Saginaw Uncorked wine group tasting featuring the wines of Gigondas at the home of WineTrooper

We had a good turnout, considering the nasty condition of the roads.

2009 Andre Brunel Cotes du Rhone Villages Cuvee Sabrine--Nose is subdued generic Southern Rhone style. Flavors also a non-descript S. Rhone. A hint of greenness. Sharper on the finish with a little heat. Probably more enjoyable upon release, and will probably show better with another year or two of age. In an awkward spot right now. Needs food. 86

2010 Domaine de la Tourade Gigondas--Red Violet color. Nose is closed. Plump body with dark berry and game notes. Rustic tannins. Should improve with time. 89

2010 Lavau Gigondas--Crushed Blackberry nose. Mid-palate a little more complex, showing some mineral notes. Hint of green on the finish should fade with time. 89

2008 Domaine du Cayron Gigondas--Striking nose of brambly raspberry mixed with wild mint, orange peel and hints of garrigue. Very attention grabbing and unique. Medium weight. Red berries and blood orange flavors follow the nose, with crisp finish and nice smoother tannin. 90-91. If not the "best" wine of the night, I think it was my favorite Gigondas because of it's individuality and striking nose (but I'm sure my wife would hate it!)

2007 E. Guigal Gigondas--Darker berry and coffee on the nose. Rich ripe mixed berry flavors with black pepper. Nicely structured. Smooth tannin. Drinks well now, but no rush. 91

2009 E. Guigal Gigondas--Nose is bigger, but similar to the 2007, with dark berries and a hint of doughiness. Flavors are more youthful with more vibrant fruit and grippier tannin. Overall, I would expect this to be very similar to the '07 with 2 more years of age. 91

2009 Chateau de St. Cosme Gigondas--Nice nose of garrigue and dark fruits. Palate of similar notes with a nice cut of mineral. Grippy tannin and a touch of heat on the finish, but not bad. Probably needs some time. 90?

2010 Domaine Santa Duc Gigondas--Floral Fruity nose with just a hint of Garrigue. Less exotic and individual as some, which probably makes it more appealing to a broader audience. Brambly black fruit. Nice body and structure. 92

2009 Domaine Santa Duc Gigondas Cuvee Prestige des Hautes Garrigues--Doughy, youthful nose with blackberries. Darker plum color. Dense berries laced with minerals. Nice structure, but young. 92-93

(As a treat, WineTrooper pulled out a Riesling for one of the lady guests who "doesn't care for red wine") 2004 SA Prum Riesling MSR Wehlener Sonnenhur Spatlese--Rich honey petrol nose. Tangy ripe fruit up front with liquid stones. The layers of fruit, mineral, and acidity run from start to finish. Beautiful integration. My WOTN!! 94

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3132 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the notes on the Santa Duc's Redhawk. I just bought some of the two Gigondas you tasted, but the 2009 regular and the 2010 Prestige. Hard to go wrong with this winery in those vintages.

Posts: 10151 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice notes, Redhawk. This tasting would have been right up my alley. Again, it was very nice to meet you and your lovely wife earlier this week and I hope we can share wine again.

Posts: 5490 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with your notes 100% redhawk. I was happy to see you make it because i thought you were in chitown this weekend with billhike and his mafia.

My fav was a four-way tie on the santa duc's and the guigals. I also was impressed by the cayron which is still solid 24 hrs laterWink

Posts: 506 | Location: Michigan | Registered: Aug 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm only a fringe mafioso. I've yet to kiss the ring of Don Vino Me. Wink

Posts: 5490 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Posts: 506 | Location: Michigan | Registered: Aug 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
I'm only a fringe mafioso. I've yet to kiss the ring of Don Vino Me. Wink

I didn't realize he was THE Don. I guess I chose the right person to give the gift bottle to!

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3132 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post