WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    4 2010 Pomerol Wines from the UGC Tasting
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

4 2010 Pomerol Wines from the UGC Tasting
 Login/Join 
posted
Despite the excellent Conseillante, I thought the 2010 Pomerols were not a lush and rounded as the St. Emilion wines at the UGC tasting in Chicago. Pomerol produced better wines in 2009 on the whole. The 2010's seamed leaner and more tannic (of course I only tried 4 wines). Here are my notes.

2010 Château La Conseillante - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol (1/31/2013)
About 80% Merlot and 20% Cabernet Franc. An excellent wine and my favorite Pomerol at this event. Better than the 1982, 2003 and 2005. Just as good as the 2009 upon release but not as plush. Sweet roasted coffee bean nose. On the palate there was roses, mocha, toffee and ripe berries. Rich texture. 95-96 points.

2010 Château Clinet - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol (1/31/2013)
85% Merlot, 12% Cabernet Sauvignon and 3% Cabernet Franc. One of the more approachable wines at the UGC. Definitely less tannic than the 2009. I liked this better than the 2001 and it was the equal of the 2005 and 2009 (although I think the 2009 has more potential). Minerally with graphite, black fruit and charcoal notes. medium to full bodied. 92-93 points.

2010 Château Le Bon Pasteur - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol (1/31/2013)
85% Merlot and 15% Cabernet Franc. First time I have had this wine. Very Cabernet Franclike nose. Notes of green pepper, menthol and black fruit. 90-92 points.

2010 Château La Pointe - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol (1/31/2013)
5% Merlot and 15% Cabernet Franc. About the same quality as the 2005. Dark chocolate, plum and lead pencil notes. One of the more approachable wines at the tasting. Creamy texture. 89-91 points.

VM

Posts: 12358 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I only got to taste Clinet of those. I believe you went to the trade tasting - Conseillante wasn't there at the public tasting as far as I could see. That was disappointing, as I loved their 2009 and looked forward to trying the 2010. That said, at the price point, it may be better I didn't try it. Anyway, here are my impressions:

Clinet - all I wrote down here is the aroma of dark fruit was really nice, and it wasn't as much of a tannic monster as I expected. 92 points. I gave 91 points to the 2009.

I also had Gazin, which I really enjoyed. I found leather and a lot of dark fruit on the aroma, along with coffee. The taste was kind of approachable, but not fully, which intrigued me to see how it would age. I gave it 93-94 points.

Posts: 3325 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Apr 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree. THe Conseillante was the stand out for me as well.

"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

"Mimik" on cellartracker.com

Posts: 6648 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a small vertical of Gazin so I'm happy to see it was up to standard.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5855 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
I have a small vertical of Gazin so I'm happy to see it was up to standard.

This was my first ever taste of a Gazin, and really had no formed opinion of it beforehand, so it was a treat to have. I ended up buying a case of it to follow over time. I may have to search out some other vintages.

Posts: 3325 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Apr 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Although it doesn't show up in my notes, the other thing I noted about the Pomerol wines was heavier alcohol than usual.

VM

Posts: 12358 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post