WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    2007 Shafer Hillside Select
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2007 Shafer Hillside Select
 Login/Join 
posted
One of my top 2 wines of the year. This is magic in a bottle. For such a young wine this thrills the mind and palate like few others. The blue fruits (blackberry the most prevalent)intermixed with a hint of spice are breathtaking then when the finish of 45+ seconds hits you you realize that the red fruits combined with velvety tannin are intertwined with the new oak and acidity. The balance and structure in this wine is classic in every sense. There is a kind of sweetness to the fruit that is staggering in quality and it simply envelops your mouth like few other Cali cabs can do. 98-99 now and potentially 100 pts someday. The best since 2002. The 2 hour decanted portion of the wine was slightly better than the wine that stayed in the bottle. Glad I shared this with my dad and wife over my birthday weekend.

IW

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Italian Wino,

Life without wine?...... Yeah Right.
The Unexamined Life Is Not Worth Living - Socrates
"Wine....offers a greater range for enjoyment and appreciation than possibly any other purely sensory thing which may be purchased" ERNEST HEMINGWAY (1889-1961)

ITB

Posts: 5046 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: Nov 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Happy Birthday, IW!

Posts: 5523 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill

"Wine....offers a greater range for enjoyment and appreciation than possibly any other purely sensory thing which may be purchased" ERNEST HEMINGWAY (1889-1961)

ITB

Posts: 5046 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: Nov 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Outstanding notes on an outstanding wine Smile

Posts: 1610 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IW, Happy Birthday as well. Glad I split your allocation with you on this one Big Grin , thanks again!

I think I might be able to help with the Pan, Pam dilemma

Posts: 998 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: Dec 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Patespo

You may want to open one and enjoy during the holidays

ITB