WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    TN: 1995 Chateau de Beaucastel Chateauneuf-du-Pape
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TN: 1995 Chateau de Beaucastel Chateauneuf-du-Pape
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
I did mean it, but I honestly hope your movies don't suffer.

The Life and Times of Serge Birbrair... Spielberg must be nervously pacing back and forth right now, in anticipation of getting the first draft of the script.

I got funds for a very short movie, VERY limited budget.

The movie title is:
"Useful posts on Wine Boards".

Posts: 3576 | Location: Florida | Registered: Jun 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big Grin You should have some money left over.

Maybe enough to buy a few nice bottles of wine.

Cheers!

Posts: 8499 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
party, party!!!!!!!!!!!
Smile

Posts: 3576 | Location: Florida | Registered: Jun 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am audouzing another bottle for today's dinner with friends. CdP was new to me and will be new for them.
I lovingly named the bottle "PurpleAries" in commemoration of those who set me straight.
Smile

posted Hide Post
Great not Serge,

I just love this board, always guarantee for some great TN and a laugh and fun. Wink
quote:
Originally posted by Serge Birbrair:
  • 1995 Château de Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (5/9/2006)
    Not remarkable but itself, quite good with BBQ'd pork chops. The whole lemon went into the BBQ sauce to bring some acidity this wine was missing. I doubt very much this wine will outlive my children. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Posts: 91 | Location: Denmark | Registered: Oct 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
which shows that little knowledge may be dangerous.

I am decanting 1995 Beaucastel from now on, 'til it matures. I ate a crow on this one, thank you for having me relive my sorrows...
wanna have TN on a crow?
Wink

posted Hide Post
quote:

wanna have TN on a crow?
Wink

Sheryl Crow Razz

Posts: 91 | Location: Denmark | Registered: Oct 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Several threads on this wine, so I figured this was as good a place as any.

Decanted for approximately 1 hour before serving. Upon first glance, the wine is extremely young looking in terms of the colour. The nose was atypical for a Beaucastel with this much age on it. Very young showing blackberry, black cherry, some tobacco and, over time some old leather and a complete absence of any of the truffle or barnyard notes I normally associate with older Beaus. Probably would have guessed a predominance of cabernet in the blend if served blind. Palate shows black fruit, a plush mouthfeel but also nice acidity and good length. While a nice showing, I think it's still young and would benefit from further cellaring (92 points, with potential for more).

Show me a good loser, I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi.

Posts: 2412 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Jun 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
purchased this bottle from a board member and this was the first one opened out of his original case purchase. bottle had high neck fill, and cork was deeply stained at bottom, with nothing up the sides. storage appears to have been impeccable.

popped and poured. light brickish red, orange at rim.

a light nose, with aromas and flavors of mature CdP: LOTS of leather, red fruits, spices, underbrush, black pepper, a tiny note of kirsch.

weak entry, but midpalate explodes, then finish keeps expanding and going 45+ seconds.

fruit has receded quite a bit, but plenty of acidity, and some minor, very fine-grained tannin in support.

a few minutes in the decanter brought the nose around, but i think i would have enjoyed this bottle more 2-3 years ago when i expect it had more fruit (and i love fully mature wines).

paired very nicely with julia child's bouef bourgignon.

92 points.

anyone who is holding these and hasn't popped one recently should do so ASAP to check its progress.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: newsguy,

Posts: 1007 | Location: Back in the 'burbs of D.C. | Registered: Feb 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post