WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    TN: 1995 Chateau de Beaucastel Chateauneuf-du-Pape
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
TN: 1995 Chateau de Beaucastel Chateauneuf-du-Pape
 Login/Join 
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Serge Birbrair:
quote:
Originally posted by sprnplr:
I am a complete novice in wines/drinking windows, but cannot imagine opening it now.


I know....

the store owner who sold us this wine sends you his regards and confirms:
You are a complete novice.

Serge,
Sarcam, coming from you, is meaningless. Especially when I just admitted that I'm a novice. However, I believe that it is better to be a novice, admit it, and attempt to learn from those with more experience than to be someone who thinks that they know more than they do. This is especially true when said person (and yes, I am talking about you; I did feel the need to clarify that) is one of the most disliked personas on these boards.
 
Posts: 1420 | Location: Jersey City | Registered: Feb 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sprnplr:
quote:
Originally posted by Serge Birbrair:
quote:
Originally posted by sprnplr:
I am a complete novice in wines/drinking windows, but cannot imagine opening it now.


I know....

the store owner who sold us this wine sends you his regards and confirms:
You are a complete novice.

Serge,
Sarcam, coming from you, is meaningless. Especially when I just admitted that I'm a novice. However, I believe that it is better to be a novice, admit it, and attempt to learn from those with more experience than to be someone who thinks that they know more than they do. This is especially true when said person (and yes, I am talking about you; I did feel the need to clarify that) is one of the most disliked personas on these boards.


I am glad you learned something from me, from the most disliked person on this board.
(see my post on the fist page)

I'll save you from me -
stop opening my threads and you'll never have an aggrevation again...
you see how simple this is?
 
Posts: 3576 | Location: Florida | Registered: Jun 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Serge Birbrair:
I'll save you from me -
stop opening my threads and you'll never have an aggrevation again...
you see how simple this is?

But where can I find nearly as much entertainment on these boards?
 
Posts: 1420 | Location: Jersey City | Registered: Feb 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sprnplr:
quote:
Originally posted by Serge Birbrair:
I'll save you from me -
stop opening my threads and you'll never have an aggrevation again...
you see how simple this is?

But where can I find nearly as much entertainment on these boards?


here
http://forums.winespectator.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6826053161/m/358100963
and
here
http://forums.winespectator.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6826053161/m/385106192
and
most of all here:
http://forums.winespectator.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3146091161/m/2686081671

after you finish entertaining yourself,
don't hesitate to ask for more.

See you in about 4 years...or people might start talking that you just can't live without me and my wisdom and just come for more.
 
Posts: 3576 | Location: Florida | Registered: Jun 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Serge Birbrair:
here
http://forums.winespectator.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6826053161/m/358100963
and
here
http://forums.winespectator.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6826053161/m/385106192
and
most of all here:
http://forums.winespectator.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3146091161/m/2686081671

after you finish entertaining yourself,
don't hesitate to ask for more.

See you in about 4 years...or people might start talking that you just can't live without me and my wisdom and just come for more.

But according to your rule, I cannot read the first thread! Roll Eyes
 
Posts: 1420 | Location: Jersey City | Registered: Feb 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sprnplr:
quote:
Originally posted by Serge Birbrair:
here
http://forums.winespectator.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6826053161/m/358100963
and
here
http://forums.winespectator.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6826053161/m/385106192
and
most of all here:
http://forums.winespectator.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3146091161/m/2686081671

after you finish entertaining yourself,
don't hesitate to ask for more.

See you in about 4 years...or people might start talking that you just can't live without me and my wisdom and just come for more.

But according to your rule, I cannot read the first thread! Roll Eyes


I am sorry,
see you in 3 years, 364 days 23 hours and 55 minutes.
 
Posts: 3576 | Location: Florida | Registered: Jun 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
BTW, your question was a good example of LOGIC and I am very proud of you.
 
Posts: 3576 | Location: Florida | Registered: Jun 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I have a 95 Beaucastel note here. I gave it 95+ points and would wait at least 5, more likely 10 years before opening another bottle.

I shared another bottle two years before with gfleener from Vinocellar and winemaker Vitis Vinifera. Vitis had a note here on it that he scored 96+ points that seems to have gone missing. May have been from before they started saving all tasting notes.


Paul Romero (tlily)- Owner, Winemaker, Tour Guide
Stefania Wine
http://www.stefaniawine.com
 
Posts: 7627 | Location: San Jose | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tlily:
I have a 95 Beaucastel note here. I gave it 95+ points and would wait at least 5, more likely 10 years before opening another bottle.

I shared another bottle two years before with gfleener from Vinocellar and winemaker Vitis Vinifera. Vitis had a note here on it that he scored 96+ points that seems to have gone missing. May have been from before they started saving all tasting notes.


how long was it decanted?
 
Posts: 3576 | Location: Florida | Registered: Jun 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Serge, I'm not a big fan of long decant times. It spent 90 minutes in a decanter and was then returned to the original bottle. It lasted about 3 hours in the bottle.

I was surprised actually how much people liked it. Beaucastel can be a brutal wine when young, and this one had some wild smells and tastes.

I'd recommend you try a 1988 or 1983 Beaucastel if you want to 'get it'. Otherwise many lesser 98's are starting to come into a good drinking window, or even some 1999's.


Paul Romero (tlily)- Owner, Winemaker, Tour Guide
Stefania Wine
http://www.stefaniawine.com
 
Posts: 7627 | Location: San Jose | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
thank you, tlily.
I think yours was the first TN in this thread from somebody who actualy tasted this wine (I am still waiting for W&A response).
I can't figure it out if I had "off bottle",
improperly stored bottles or just hasn't decanted it properly. NONE of the smells you and Parker have described were present in the bottle we had.

This morning, after reading the thread, I took a sip from the bottle and...
the smell was there, even not as profound as the TN suggested, and some acidity was there as well, but none of the "boatload of tannins"
(--Parker).

I am not a big fan of decanting either, and I guess this wine just needs it at this stage. I'll open another bottle soon, decant it for 3 hours and if it doesn't come alive or closer to yours and Parker's TN -
bring the rest to the store so somebody else could enjoy what I don't get.
 
Posts: 3576 | Location: Florida | Registered: Jun 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Senior Editor
Wine Spectator
 
posted Hide Post
I say this in the hopes that it will be taken as constructive criticism.

Serge - why not make one less post each day, and instead insert in its place one more search per day? You might be interested in this recent '95 CdP retrospective.


--JM
 
Posts: 1234 | Location: New York, NY | Registered: Oct 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks, James. Smile

I picked up 3 1995 M. Chapoutier Châteauneuf-du-Pape Barbe Rac based on your recent comments in the print edition, and have been eyeballing one for near term consumption. Your thought?

PH
 
Posts: 15014 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Oops. My bad. I just saw that your "thoughts" were contained in the link! Red Face Red Face Interestingly, this was the only 2 digit priced CNdP from this article that I could find when your piece hit the print edition.

PH
 
Posts: 15014 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by James Molesworth:
Serge - why not make one less post each day...
A new signature?


Go HOKIES!!!
 
Posts: 4865 | Location: North Plainfield, NJ | Registered: Oct 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Senior Editor
Wine Spectator
 
posted Hide Post
That's easy - drink one bottle now. Another in 5 years, and the last in 10 years...

I've seen '95s under $100 recently - Vieux Donjon is typically the steal I see at auction places...


--JM
 
Posts: 1234 | Location: New York, NY | Registered: Oct 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's easy - drink one bottle now. Another in 5 years, and the last in 10 years...


Cool

That was easy!

PH
 
Posts: 15014 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mwagner7700:
quote:
Originally posted by James Molesworth:
Serge - why not make one less post each day...
A new signature?


don't you find it more dignified to post under your original log-in instead of "sprnplr"?
 
Posts: 3576 | Location: Florida | Registered: Jun 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by James Molesworth:
I say this in the hopes that it will be taken as constructive criticism.

Serge - why not make one less post each day, and instead insert in its place one more search per day? You might be interested in this recent '95 CdP retrospective.


I guess I can forget about having
"Serge, your impressions mirror mine)
(--JM)
in my sig.
Smile

After I open the second bottle, have it decanted and drink,
I'll know what to do with the rest of them. Thank you JM.
 
Posts: 3576 | Location: Florida | Registered: Jun 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I don't know sprnplr, and I can assure you it wasn't me. On a different note, in the wine auction thread, you mentioned you'd be coming to NYC... shall we start an offline thread?


Go HOKIES!!!
 
Posts: 4865 | Location: North Plainfield, NJ | Registered: Oct 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mwagner7700:
I don't know sprnplr, and I can assure you it wasn't me. On a different note, in the wine auction thread, you mentioned you'd be coming to NYC... shall we start an offline thread?


No. I won't have time. Having lots of "mishpuha" in NJ, Brooklyn and Manhattan prevents me from making plans on a short notice. Maybe some other time, we go to NY at least twice a year.
 
Posts: 3576 | Location: Florida | Registered: Jun 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Do let us know. It would be an interesting offline to say the least. Smile


Go HOKIES!!!
 
Posts: 4865 | Location: North Plainfield, NJ | Registered: Oct 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mwagner7700:
Do let us know. It would be an interesting offline to say the least. Smile


1) if somebody bringing Zin - I am leaving!
(--Myles?) Smile

2) I preffer smaller gatherings, especially with strangers. Much easier "getting to know you".

3) will I get ganged up if I tell the truth that "Dear XYZ, the bottle you have brought tastes like *&**%^ and not like the TN of the leading critic" or people are more civilized in person?
 
Posts: 3576 | Location: Florida | Registered: Jun 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
1) if somebody bringing Zin - I am leaving!
(--Myles?) Smile
Make sure you tell Board-O

2) I preffer smaller gatherings, especially with strangers. Much easier "getting to know you".
Better pours too!!!

3) will I get ganged up if I tell the truth that "Dear XYZ, the bottle you have brought tastes like *&**%^ and not like the TN of the leading critic" or people are more civilized in person?
Nope, we've often had comments on bad wines.... just don't mind it if we do the same Razz


Go HOKIES!!!
 
Posts: 4865 | Location: North Plainfield, NJ | Registered: Oct 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mwagner7700:
1) if somebody bringing Zin - I am leaving!
(--Myles?) Smile
Make sure you tell Board-O

2) I preffer smaller gatherings, especially with strangers. Much easier "getting to know you".
Better pours too!!!

3) will I get ganged up if I tell the truth that "Dear XYZ, the bottle you have brought tastes like *&**%^ and not like the TN of the leading critic" or people are more civilized in person?
Nope, we've often had comments on bad wines.... just don't mind it if we do the same Razz


Board-O brings Zins to offlines???
(he probably has huge supply of it at home, bought in earlier days and now he doesn't know what to do with it) Smile

better pours, lesser noise...easier to hear everybody.

Sure, I've been a "king of the hill" for way too long, most of my friends CAN NOT critisize my choices with only few exceptions, so the critique of fellow drinkers will be mostly welcome...unless it's a critique on the level of:
"I don't like it just because it's Serge's"
Wink
 
Posts: 3576 | Location: Florida | Registered: Jun 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3 4 5  
 

WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    TN: 1995 Chateau de Beaucastel Chateauneuf-du-Pape

© Wine Spectator 2013