WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    TN: 1995 Chateau de Beaucastel Chateauneuf-du-Pape
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TN: 1995 Chateau de Beaucastel Chateauneuf-du-Pape
 Login/Join 
posted
  • 1995 Château de Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (5/9/2006)
    Not remarkable but itself, quite good with BBQ'd pork chops. The whole lemon went into the BBQ sauce to bring some acidity this wine was missing. I doubt very much this wine will outlive my children. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Posts: 3576 | Location: Florida | Registered: Jun 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Confused Confused Confused Roll Eyes

PH

Posts: 15066 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please don't post on CT...

_________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 3147 | Location: Cowboys Stadium | Registered: Feb 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Serge,

You might want to delete your post. Red Face

A cup of coffee might also be in order. Wink

Posts: 30085 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
W&A,
"A medium to
full-bodied wine, with a boatload of tannin, considerable grip and structure,
and a weighty feel in the mouth, this appears to be a classic vin de garde made
in the style of the 1978 Beaucastel (which is still not close to full maturity).
Prospective purchasers over the age of forty should be buying this wine for
their children.” Wine Advocate #113 (Oct 1997)
"
could have been right in 1997,
but in my bottle it wasn't so.

Posts: 3576 | Location: Florida | Registered: Jun 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WA, if you had this wine recently and think I had an off bottle, LMK and I'll bring remaining 3 back. They came from the same box.

posted Hide Post
Please, send me your 3 off bottles, and I'll gladly send you a lemon or two to offset the lack of acidity you were seeking. Roll Eyes

PH

Posts: 15066 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From the Beaucastel website:

1995: To be kept another 10 years at least.
If ever drunk young decant 24 hours in advance.

Roll Eyes

_________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 3147 | Location: Cowboys Stadium | Registered: Feb 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you, ArieS. I'll do that the next time. I am new to CdP and every bit of useful info helps. I gave you full credit.

PH, why don't you learn from ArieS and wine+art and say something useful for a change? Try it, you might like it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Serge Birbrair,

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArieS:

Roll Eyes

Almost all wine reviewed by the posters on this site is drunk far, far too soon. Sometimes I just have to shake my head at the horrible waste people brag about here. Roll Eyes

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36781 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Board-O, I am very NEW to CdP, and one should learn somewhere somehow. I apreciate all the constructive critisism, it speeds up the learning process. Next time I try something new I'll do more due diligence. We are never old..as long as we are capable to learn something new.

BTW, I quoted you once re: CdP at Wine Therapy, but was snarled on, so I didn't go futher. Those guys KNOW EVERYTHING.
Smile

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Serge Birbrair:
PH, why don't you learn from ArieS and wine+art and say something useful for a change? Try it, you might like it.

OK, here goes. I'll quote w + a:

quote:
Serge,

You might want to delete your post.

Apply that useful advice X 2900 plus posts. Thanks in advance....

PH

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Almost all wine reviewed by the posters on this site is drunk far, far too soon. Sometimes I just have to shake my head at the horrible waste people brag about here. Roll Eyes

I agree with you Board-O, but some people, including myself, like to try one bottle of everything they put in their cellar to make their own opinion of the wine's quality and ageing potential...

Posts: 996 | Location: Montreal, Qc | Registered: Dec 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Impulse, vitually nothing will be learned by tasting a slumbering Beaucastel. These wines emerge from a cocoon after a lengthy metamorphosis.

Two wines that are virtually impossible to predict in their youth: Rhones and Burgundies. Over the years, I've seen the pros retract more often than not.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36781 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PH, don't be jelous with ArieS getting credit while you could only earn "lemony guy" reputation. Your day will come one day too.
Why are you so tart this morning? What happened, sweetypie?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Impulse, vitually nothing will be learned by tasting a slumbering Beaucastel. These wines emerge from a cocoon after a lengthy metamorphosis.

Two wines that are virtually impossible to predict in their youth: Rhones and Burgundies. Over the years, I've seen the pros retract more often than not.

Board-O.

When would you start drinking the '95?

Posts: 1871 | Location: NYC | Registered: Sep 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Syd, while you're waiting for a reply, check out this.

Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with trying a Chateauneuf that's already more than 10 years old, to see how it's developing, if you have a reasonable supply of them. There are some wines that conventional wisdom would indicate need a lot more time-- First Growths from great vintages, or Vega Sicilia Unico, for example-- but even Beaucastel or VT should be starting to move into their drinking windows after 10 years. Patience, however, will be rewarded for those who can wait longer.

Cheers!

Posts: 8391 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
These wines emerge from a cocoon after a lengthy metamorphosis.

Again, I agree with you, but I still like to try. I've had too many experiences in which the wine emerge and are completely over the hill already (for example, a few VTs for the 1980's). I feel really dumb when I haven't tasted a wine at least once until it was too late.

Posts: 996 | Location: Montreal, Qc | Registered: Dec 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
syd, this is just a guess based on the 15 or so past vintages of Beaucastel I've tried and what I know of the characteristics of the 1995 vintage. I'm guessing this wine needs a bare minimum of 15 years from vintage date and will almost undoubtedly show better at 20 than 15.

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
Thanks, Board-O.

I'll let mine sleep.

Posts: 1871 | Location: NYC | Registered: Sep 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I only have 3 and they will still be sleeping for a while.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ArieS:

Roll Eyes

I was shocked when I saw that he decided to open a 1989 first growth already too. I just seems way too early. I am a complete novice in wines/drinking windows, but cannot imagine opening it now.

Posts: 1420 | Location: Jersey City | Registered: Feb 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sprnplr:
I am a complete novice in wines/drinking windows, but cannot imagine opening it now.

I know....

the store owner who sold us this wine sends you his regards and confirms:
You are a complete novice.

posted Hide Post
How can one person be so fn annoying?

Posts: 6988 | Location: ]0^0[ | Registered: Aug 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It takes years of hard work! Big Grin

Just one more sip.