WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    2007 Sea Smoke Southing
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2007 Sea Smoke Southing
 Login/Join 
posted
I have had several sea smoke's in the past. I think at least a couple from the '04 and '05 vintages and while I enjoyed them, I thought they could have used more time. I did not get the "tastes like a syrah" feeling, not even close, after trying those.

That said, there was nothing about the '07 Southing that resembled a Pinot! Color was very dark, black cherry and in the middle of the glass it veered towards opaque. The nose was all raisin and raisin on the palate with very noticeable tannins that got more aggressive as the wine opened up, where it started to taste jammy. I was left completely disappointed and for the first time I nearly agreed with tasters that said it tasted more like a syrah than a pinot, except that I would say the flavor profile matched closer to an overripe Zinfandel. Really...

Frown

"This is the strangest life I've ever known."

Posts: 1358 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: Nov 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lizardking:
I have had several sea smoke's in the past. I think at least a couple from the '04 and '05 vintages and while I enjoyed them, I thought they could have used more time. I did not get the "tastes like a syrah" feeling, not even close, after trying those.

That said, there was nothing about the '07 Southing that resembled a Pinot! Color was very dark, black cherry and in the middle of the glass it veered towards opaque. The nose was all raisin and raisin on the palate with very noticeable tannins that got more aggressive as the wine opened up, where it started to taste jammy. I was left completely disappointed and for the first time I nearly agreed with tasters that said it tasted more like a syrah than a pinot, except that I would say the flavor profile matched closer to an overripe Zinfandel. Really...

Frown

when i read the first paragraph I was like uh oh, my taste buds must be shot.

but it defintiely has syrah in it not zin !

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12492 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definitely not zin. The 07s are more restrained than previous vintages.

Posts: 890 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Oct 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess my main point was that it did not taste like a pinot. I said more like a zinfandel than a syrah because of the jammy-ness, not really to say anything of those that think syrah.

And I did not find, personally, that this wine was in any sort of way "restrained".

"This is the strangest life I've ever known."

Posts: 1358 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: Nov 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post