WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    1988 Haut Brion, Yquem
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1988 Haut Brion, Yquem
 Login/Join 
posted
Peggy and I celebrated our 25th anniversary on Valentine's Day with dinner at a favorite restaurant, the Elkridge Furnace Inn, and a couple of nice '88s. The food was outstanding, particularly a braised veal and mushroom with gnocchi appetizer and main dishes of rack of lamb and beef filet, all of which matched beautifully with the Haut Brion. Crème Brûlée for dessert paired beautifully with the Yquem. But the best part was reflecting on our 25 years together and hatching plans for the future. The wines:

• 1988 Château Haut-Brion - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan (2/14/2013)
    Purchased on release and stored in temp controlled cellar since. Pristine fill and cork. Decanted for 1 hour and consumed over another 2 hours, with a glass left for the next day. Dark red core, lightening at rim. Cherry, cassis, dusty earthiness, blood and iron on the nose keeps getting better and more complex over an hour or two. Medium body with flavors following the nose, great balance with tannins mostly resolved and nice freshness from the fruit/acid tension accompanied by increasing complexity over time. Smooth medium-long finish. No fading the next day. Should continue to drink well for another decade or two. Outstanding.

• 1988 Château d'Yquem - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes (2/14/2013)
    Pristine fill and cork - 375ml bottle. Medium gold/orange color. Intense complex nose of citrus, pineapple, honey, spice. Killer balance between sweet creamy fruit and crisp acidity, complex flavors constantly changing on the palate and fading slowly into a long rich finish, this wine will last forever. Extraordinary.

Posts: 39 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Dec 02, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best wishes to you both, can't wait until my bride of 6 years and I celebrate our 25th, hopefully in grand fashion like you.

I think I might be able to help with the Pan, Pam dilemma

Posts: 727 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: Dec 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, it looks like a wonderful evening.

Posts: 3030 | Location: ATL | Registered: Mar 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1988 Château d'Yquem - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes (8/11/2013)
From 750ml. Deep yellow/gold color- looks much younger than some 2001s I have seen. Aromas of baked apricot, ripe Methley plums, honey, orange blossoms, marmalade and tropical fruit. Amazingly rich, viscous texture that coats the palate. Flavors of apricot, honey, pineapple, marmalade, tropical fruits and spices. A long finish that lingers for well over a minute. (97+ pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Posts: 1489 | Location: St. Charles, IL | Registered: Dec 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DBG:
Peggy and I celebrated our 25th anniversary on Valentine's Day with dinner at a favorite restaurant, the Elkridge Furnace Inn, and a couple of nice '88s. The food was outstanding, particularly a braised veal and mushroom with gnocchi appetizer and main dishes of rack of lamb and beef filet, all of which matched beautifully with the Haut Brion. Crème Brûlée for dessert paired beautifully with the Yquem. But the best part was reflecting on our 25 years together and hatching plans for the future. The wines:

• 1988 Château Haut-Brion - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan (2/14/2013)
    Purchased on release and stored in temp controlled cellar since. Pristine fill and cork. Decanted for 1 hour and consumed over another 2 hours, with a glass left for the next day. Dark red core, lightening at rim. Cherry, cassis, dusty earthiness, blood and iron on the nose keeps getting better and more complex over an hour or two. Medium body with flavors following the nose, great balance with tannins mostly resolved and nice freshness from the fruit/acid tension accompanied by increasing complexity over time. Smooth medium-long finish. No fading the next day. Should continue to drink well for another decade or two. Outstanding.

Belated congrats, and thanks for the tasting note. I've got a magnum of the '88 H-B waiting for a suitable special occasion. Glad to hear it's still drinking nicely.

Posts: 644 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: Aug 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That should be a great special occasion bottle.

Posts: 218 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: Mar 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fusionstorm:
quote:
Originally posted by DBG:

Belated congrats, and thanks for the tasting note. I've got a magnum of the '88 H-B waiting for a suitable special occasion. Glad to hear it's still drinking nicely.

I didn't come up with the quote, but I do believe when you pop a bottle like that, THAT is the special occasion!

I think I might be able to help with the Pan, Pam dilemma

Posts: 727 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: Dec 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post