WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    2006 Catena Zapata Cabernet Franc Angelica Zapata Alta
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2006 Catena Zapata Cabernet Franc Angelica Zapata Alta
 Login/Join 
posted
  • 2006 Bodega Catena Zapata Cabernet Franc Angélica Zapata Alta - Argentina, Mendoza, Lujan de Cuyo (11/29/2012)
    Opaque purple/blue colour. Big nose of sweet crushed black and berry fruit jam, much like frutti di bosco, black licorice, spice, figs, and vanillan. Full-bodied, lush, with a fantastic texture like what liquid cashmere would hypothetically be like. Great balance, with replays from nose through to the long, 45-50s finish. This is a gorgeous wine and I might be underrating it at 93 points, as it's really impressive. Only listed as 13.8% alcohol, but to me it seems a little bit higher - something around 14.5%. This is a wine made for the domestic market in Argentina, and is not exported. Drink now-2016+. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Posts: 10698 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice, very nice.

Joe
-----
Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ www.wineismylife.net

Posts: 13311 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How did you get it? Visit Argentina? Thanks for the TN. I would love to try this.

Life without wine?...... Yeah Right.
The Unexamined Life Is Not Worth Living - Socrates
"Wine....offers a greater range for enjoyment and appreciation than possibly any other purely sensory thing which may be purchased" ERNEST HEMINGWAY (1889-1961)

ITB

Posts: 4871 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: Nov 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Joe,

Make sure you try this while you're down there.

IW:

Yes, I just got back from Argentina on Sunday. It was a great trip. I wish we got the Angelica Zapata Alta line here. I prefer it greatly compared to the Catena Alta line that's exported to the rest of the world. I brought a bottle back, and it only cost about $35USD at the winery (same price at some wine shops I went to also).

Posts: 10698 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not going to Catena this trip so I'll have to pick it up in a wine shop.

Joe
-----
Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ www.wineismylife.net

Posts: 13311 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You might be able to find it in restaurants also. Aldo's only had the 2008, but I drank a bottle there and it was good (but not as good as the 2006). Try Lo de Joaquin Alberdi in Palermo. They're great (and say hi to Pablo for me).

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wineismylife:
I'm not going to Catena this trip so I'll have to pick it up in a wine shop.
Any chance you can bring back a spare? Wink

Apostrophes don't make things plural.

Posts: 2930 | Location: Houston | Registered: Apr 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post