WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    TN: 2005 Château Léoville Barton
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TN: 2005 Château Léoville Barton
 Login/Join 
posted
2005 Château Léoville Barton - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien (1/12/2013)

Opened alongside a 2005 Ladera Napa Cab. Decanted for 2 hours before dinner. 70% Cabernet Sauvignon, 22% Merlot and 8% Cabernet Franc. Blackish purple color. What a difference 5 years make. The power and concentration of this wine has dissipated. This wine is in a dumb phase with a muted nose. Very ungiving and closed. Some currant, cedar and herbal notes. Lacked depth now. Give this time to come around. My wife did not think this would ever come around. 89-90+ points

VM

Posts: 12331 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, are you the new DRAB now? Big Grin

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the note. It helps confirm my plan not to touch one of mine until 2020 at the earliest.

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Besides the 03 that was delicious on release due to the warm vintage, Barton is not a rewarding drab. In time they are always very solid though and used to be a great value.

Posts: 6563 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Me:

My wife did not think this would ever come around. 89-90+ points

VM

That would shock me, and I hope she is wrong.

I gave 6 of these to my kids to drink when they are 50.

Posts: 30286 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:

I told her that I thought she was as well and said I would put her comment in my TN for future reference.

VM

Posts: 12331 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:

VM

Nice note VM. Pretty accurate.

I think they are safe W+A.

This wine is tough as nails IMO. One of the harder ones to taste upon release. I cant think of any other vintages other than the 03' that drank decent within the 1st 10 yrs of its life. I bought a case of the 06' for my son, figure it will just start to open up when he is 21, and thats an 'off' vintage.

-------------

Say NO to Shiraz!

Posts: 2777 | Registered: Nov 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find Lb's to be some of the least accessible wines to drink in their youth and vm's tn confirms that. I still think they are relatively affordable in comparison to their qualitative peers but their higher price means I am buying less bottles as futures every year.

"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

"Mimik" on cellartracker.com

Posts: 6635 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post