WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    Baricci Brunello 2007
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Baricci Brunello 2007
 Login/Join 
posted
Wow. This wine surprised me. What a great example of a brunello from this 5 star 2007 vintage. Smooth, elegant with just the right amount of acidity and tanins. Beautiful fruit and very subtle complexity. If you can get this wine do so. It is a winner
Rated 94

Posts: 100 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: May 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agreed. In general Baricci seems unknown/under-rated IMHO.

De gustibus non est disputandum.

Posts: 3949 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: Jan 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good to see that there are some more '07 Brunelli out there that actually taste like a 5-star vintage! I found a lot of wines quite disappointing...

I have not tasted the Baricci very often (only the '04 and '06 vintages) but I like the refinement and classic Brunello character. Considering the small production quantities it might be hard to get some.

Albert Jochems
- life is to short to drink bad wines -

Posts: 719 | Location: The Netherlands | Registered: Aug 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes agree about quantities. However next time you are in Montalcino worth a tasting.

Posts: 100 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: May 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did not know much about Baricci but I looked for it as Kerin O'Keefe talked really well about their Brunellos and Rossos in her book, especially 2006 BdM: "The 2006 is fantastic, with layers of flavors and great length". It was a discovery for me, as here in Switzerland wine shops are full of Pian delle Vigne, Castelgiocondo, Banfi and Casanova di Neri, yuk!
I loved its balance and depth: I bought a case of 2006 and a mixed case of 2007 and Rosso 2010 when I was in Montalcino last June. I should have gotten more...

Posts: 16 | Registered: Jun 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. The joy is in finding boutique artiginale producers. Forget the banfi's if you are looking for traditional wines

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nose:
The joy is in finding boutique artiginale producers.

Totally agree with that. This has made my many trips to Montalcino over the past decade so worthwhile.
Though I also much appreciate some of the more established 'classics' such as Fuligni, Costanti and Lisini. But then again, those producers might count as 'boutique' by most standards and certainly maintain an 'artiginale' approach to wine making.

Albert Jochems
- life is to short to drink bad wines -

Posts: 719 | Location: The Netherlands | Registered: Aug 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, these are classical brunelli. But I look for those special old world styles using botte and traditional techniques.