WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    TN - 2008 Stefania Cabernet Sauvignon Crimson Clover
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TN - 2008 Stefania Cabernet Sauvignon Crimson Clover
 Login/Join 
posted
  • 2008 Stefania Cabernet Sauvignon Crimson Clover - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Clara Valley (1/15/2011)
    Nose - smooth soft black currant with mint, smoke, thyme, cardamon and bay. Background notes of blueberry and guava.
    Smooth and juicy, with blackberry, dusty tannin, fudge, black currant, orange, minor heat, raspberry, blueberry, hints of thyme, bay, redwood, cinnamon and nutmeg. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Posts: 1748 | Location: Mountain View, CA | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sure, had to be the first to post a note on this, right yhn? Razz

I got to taste this when we visited in October. No notes, but I also really liked it and made a mental note to buy when offered.

Posts: 9686 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tasted this from the barrel last May and it was love at first sip. Now in bottle, it is just as impressive, if not even better. Could pass for a youthful Kathryn Kennedy Estate cab. The lush black currant fruit is so pure and focused, and the finish trucks on with a purpose. There is just something inviting and exciting about this wine. Amazing first vintage, from a vineyard that Paul & Stef rescued from overgrowth. My favorite Stefania wine yet, which is saying a lot! 95P

Posts: 3413 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Apr 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Knew I should have gotten more... Mad

------------------------------
Originally posted by Board-O:
It's truly amazing the amount of meaningless posts you make.

"All men will hate you because of me, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved." Matthew 10:22

Posts: 2529 | Location: Illinois | Registered: Jun 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I opened my first one this last week and I agree with Otis that this is a stunner of a wine. My note is on CT, I gave it 93 points.

Go Habs Go

Posts: 5516 | Location: Chicago | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I get mine next week Smile - never had a Stefania so looking forward to it

Posts: 2245 | Location: Brights Grove Ontario | Registered: Jun 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theweb:

You've had one....

Picked mine up yesterday. Can't wait to try in a couple of months.

Show me a good loser, I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi.

Posts: 2274 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Jun 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by otisabdul:
Tasted this from the barrel last May and it was love at first sip. Now in bottle, it is just as impressive, if not even better. Could pass for a youthful Kathryn Kennedy Estate cab. The lush black currant fruit is so pure and focused, and the finish trucks on with a purpose. There is just something inviting and exciting about this wine. Amazing first vintage, from a vineyard that Paul & Stef rescued from overgrowth. My favorite Stefania wine yet, which is saying a lot! 95P

Damn, Otis, that's a heady score! Like Berno, I should have bought more, too!

"But, if ye wish her grateful prayer,
Gie her a haggis!" -Robert Burns

Posts: 1637 | Location: Traded Paradise for the frozen Finger Lakes | Registered: Feb 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Haggis: I'll save a bottle for us if you run out.

Like I said, it only takes one sip to know you are into something special with this wine. Very approachable and delicious in its youth, too. Always a bonus!

Cheers,

O

Posts: 3413 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Apr 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the pleasure of trying this last night in the company of Paul and Stef and was very impressed. I can't say that my palate picked up all the nuances that yhn described in the first post, but it was very enjoyable and is drinking very well.

Posts: 247 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Nov 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth, I happened to sit next to the sommelier from Alinea at a Chicago BYOB. I offered him some of this and he was quite impressed. Keep up the great work Paul and Stef!!

Posts: 474 | Location: Morgan Hill, CA | Registered: Jun 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bottle was a big standout at the offline we had with Paul and Stef at our house not too long ago.

Posts: 5569 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We opened a bottle of this at the last minute last night to replace a horribly corked bottle of 2002 Insignia. A lovely wine, that would have benefited from a few hours of air had we only had the chance. At the end of the evening, this wine was singing. Wish I'd bought more....

PH

Posts: 14651 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CSM:
quote:

You've had one....

Right, you mean the white, right? I was thinking more along the lines of red Smile

Posts: 2245 | Location: Brights Grove Ontario | Registered: Jun 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aagrawal:
I had the pleasure of trying this last night in the company of Paul and Stef and was very impressed. I can't say that my palate picked up all the nuances that yhn described in the first post, but it was very enjoyable and is drinking very well.

It's not showing the same to me now as it did then. To me right now it's too youthful and some of those notes are a bit hidden. I'm guessing a year or so will coax them back out.

Posts: 1748 | Location: Mountain View, CA | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by CSM:
quote:

You've had one....

Right, you mean the white, right? I was thinking more along the lines of red Smile

I thought I brought an '07 Uvas Creek cab to one offline, but there were many, many wines that evening.

Show me a good loser, I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi.

Posts: 2274 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Jun 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Over and over!

Posts: 686 | Location: Sonoma County | Registered: Feb 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I popped one of these open last night, and would echo a lot of comments made above - very approachable now and is my favorite Stefania yet. Loads of dark fruit, but doesn't go into the jammy/fruit bomb territory, and combined with a some chocolate/cocoa and a hint of oak make it delicious and smooth. I gave it 94 points and am looking forward to the remaining bottles.

Posts: 2811 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Apr 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2008 Stefania Cabernet Sauvignon Crimson Clover - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Clara Valley (12/2/2011)

Opened by Allred at my urging last weekend. Dark purple color. 14.9% alcohol but not noticeable on the palate. This had an herbal quality that was very intriguing. Creamy black fruit with wet stone and currant notes. Not an overpowering wine. Excellent balance for being so young. The Red WOTN. The best Stefania I have had to date. 94 points.

VM

Posts: 12068 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll say it again, I wish I had more.

------------------------------
Originally posted by Board-O:
It's truly amazing the amount of meaningless posts you make.

"All men will hate you because of me, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved." Matthew 10:22

Posts: 2529 | Location: Illinois | Registered: Jun 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Berno:
I'll say it again, I wish I had more.

+1. I really blew this one. Not good wine. Great wine.

PH

Posts: 14651 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
there may be 1 or 2 retailers in south florida with a case or two Wink

Posts: 4366 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can you shoot me some details? purplehaze1956 at yahoo dot com....... Thanks!

PH

posted Hide Post
Just got the futures email for the 2009.

Posts: 4066 | Location: Alexandria, VA, USA | Registered: Oct 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like it's time to pop another one. I've opened 2 so far and gave one away as a gift. Scored it 92 and 93 thus far. Maybe I'll bring one to the next offline for fun... -mJ

http://jerseyfoodies.blogspot.com/
FACEBOOK: http://www.Facebook.com/njfoodies
http://www.rebeldiamondsband.com/

Posts: 1913 | Location: Capitol Hill, DC | Registered: Apr 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post