WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    2004 Tignanello
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2004 Tignanello
 Login/Join 
posted
JAR was kind enough to open this wine to share with NolanE, me and their wife/girlfriend.

What a stylish and impressive bottle of wine. The '88 has long been my favorite Tig, but this may well evolve into something just as special.

An intoxicating and floral nose, showing blackberries, raisin, spices and toast. The palate was rich with extreme freshness and crisp flavors of black cherries, hints of strawberry, dried herbal spices, followed with streaks of licorice and slightly burnt toast that balanced well against the sweet fruit.

The finish was both long (very) with still active tannins. An absolute joy to drink now, and may turn out to be one of the best Tig's ever with a couple more years of aging.

Well done, and thanks again JAR for sharing. Cool

Posts: 30256 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always wanted to try one of these but haven't pulled the trigger...yet.

Thanks for the note w+a.

Posts: 3010 | Location: San Luis Obispo, CA | Registered: Mar 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great to read this note, did you drink with food? I stocked up on these as its our anniversary year and they were available at a relatively decent price locally. It sounds like another year or two would be a great time to try the first bottle.

Posts: 1511 | Location: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dunder:
Great to read this note, did you drink with food? I stocked up on these as its our anniversary year and they were available at a relatively decent price locally. It sounds like another year or two would be a great time to try the first bottle.

We did indeed enjoy with food Dunder.

Based solely on this bottle, I would think 2011- 2015+ could be special. (see '88)

That said, hard to not drink now. Wink

Posts: 30256 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:

What a stylish and impressive bottle of wine. The '88 has long been my favorite Tig, but this may well evolve into something just as special.

An intoxicating and floral nose, showing blackberries, raisin, spices and toast. The palate was rich with extreme freshness and crisp flavors of black cherries, hints of strawberry, dried herbal spices, followed with streaks of licorice and slightly burnt toast that balanced well against the sweet fruit.

The finish was both long (very) with still active tannins. An absolute joy to drink now, and may turn out to be one of the best Tig's ever with a couple more years of aging.

I couldn't agree more. I love the '04 and based on my tasting in March, the '06 may be as good or better. After several years of mediocre wines, Tig is back in stride.

Posts: 2209 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This was my first Tig, but it's been on the to-buy list for a while. Really happy and appreciative to JAR for bringing this.

AMAZING nose. Not quite as heavy as I'd built it up to be in my mind, but amazing balance between earth and fruit.

Don't recall any specific flavors, but well worth the money.

Apostrophes don't make things plural.

Posts: 2957 | Location: Napa | Registered: Apr 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
JAR was kind enough to open this wine to share with NolanE, me and their wife/girlfriend.

wine+art:

It was a pleasure sharing this wine with you this past Wed and specially seeing you describing your impressions of the Tig.

Just reading your TN, makes me want to open another one... Smile

I fully agree with your TN. This is an incredible wine that is hard to resist now.

Note to Everyone: I opened the bottle two and a half hours prior to drinking. I decanted it for 1.5 hours and poured back into bottle...

Posts: 270 | Location: Kemah, Texas 77565 (Houston Suburb) | Registered: Dec 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NolanE:
This was my first Tig

Nolan:

I am glad that I had something to do with it...

I really enjoyed the company of everyone that attended our off-line.

JAR

Posts: 270 | Location: Kemah, Texas 77565 (Houston Suburb) | Registered: Dec 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have found that on young Tignanello the Cabernet, even though it's in a small quantity, usually dominates the sangiovese. Did you find any of this in this wine?

Posts: 530 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Aug 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When young, yes. With time, the Cabernet falls the the background and the gorgeous Sangiovese notes start to come through. Admittedly I'm not that big a Tig fan, but the 1988 and 1990 were both excellent. I've been less impressed with recent vintages, although perhaps 2004 and 2006 will be more to my liking with time.

That said, I don't think it's worth the $100CAD it commands in this market.

Posts: 10934 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by futronic:
When young, yes. With time, the Cabernet falls the the background and the gorgeous Sangiovese notes start to come through. Admittedly I'm not that big a Tig fan, but the 1988 and 1990 were both excellent. I've been less impressed with recent vintages, although perhaps 2004 and 2006 will be more to my liking with time.

That said, I don't think it's worth the $100CAD it commands in this market.

futronic-

I picked up the 2004 for around $75. The 2005 jumped to $105.00 Eek - at least in this market.

"Won't someone tell me what it is they all want?"

Posts: 6140 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bought some Tig when it first came out having score big on the WS list. Paid %$83 CAD for it. Price now in Nfld is about $105. Am saving mine for 2010 and beyond.

How do you think it would pair with a rack of lamb? Leg of lamb? A lot of folks like Cabs with Fluffy but I'm a big Sangiovese fan and find really food Sangiovese based wines work with gamier meat, not just beef.

Posts: 296 | Location: St. John's, Newfoundland | Registered: Mar 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Simply prepared lamb with some herbes de Provence or just rosemary and garlic would be a perfectly fine foil for the Tig. Skip the dijon mustard and crusted this and that.

Posts: 10934 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Popped and poured from a 375 mL bottle last night and served with prime rib.

The nose featured mostly cherry and spices, with a hint of cedar and a bit of old world earthiness. Not quite as expressive as I had hoped.

In the mouth it's a different story. There is a huge concentration of intense red fruit. This is supported by mouthwatering acidity and a robust yet well balanced and integrated tannin structure. The mouth feel is rich and smooth. From beginning to end the wine is in perfect balance. The finish goes on for roughly 30 seconds.

Although approachable now, this wine is still quite primary on the nose and palate. It has the structure to go far, so I'll be leaving my 750's for a few more years.

93 points tonight.

Punch it , Chewie!

Posts: 1386 | Location: Edmonton | Registered: Jul 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had this at a Michelin 1 star restaurant in Tuscany and it was running on all cylinders. The french oak was integrated with the red and dark fruits like a fine woven blanket. There was no harsh edges with gobs of plums, cherries and a decent amount of asian spices on the finish. The tannins were grainy in texture and the ruby color in the beautifully lit restaurant was a sight for sore eyes. 94+ on this night.

Life without wine?...... Yeah Right.
The Unexamined Life Is Not Worth Living - Socrates
"Wine....offers a greater range for enjoyment and appreciation than possibly any other purely sensory thing which may be purchased" ERNEST HEMINGWAY (1889-1961)

ITB

Posts: 5040 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: Nov 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love this vintage of Tig. Still young but what a beauty. I agree that the nose needs to develop but the palate is so balanced showing great complexity at this young. Glad I have a couple of 6 paks tucked away Cool

Going where the water tastes like wine

Posts: 740 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Jul 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IW Thanks for your TN. Reads like an excellent showing of this wine!
Based on my recent experience with the '98 '99 '01 and '05 vintages of Tig. I have come to the conclusion that I like them more when they are relatively young.

After reading your TN I think I might as well open the single bottle of '04 I have.

quote:
Originally posted by Italian Wino:
Had this at a Michelin 1 star restaurant in Tuscany

Which restaurant was this?

Albert Jochems
- life is to short to drink bad wines -

Posts: 719 | Location: The Netherlands | Registered: Aug 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jochems:

I'm thinking, Osteria di Passignano.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jochems:

I'm thinking, Osteria di Passignano.

Right!
Its hard to imagine an Antinori wine not tasting excellent there Wink

This place is still on my wish list. Perhaps I should keep my own '04 closed and try to get there and enjoy it where its most at home Big Grin

Albert Jochems
- life is to short to drink bad wines -

Posts: 719 | Location: The Netherlands | Registered: Aug 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking, Osteria di Passignano.[/QUOTE]

This place is still on my wish list. Perhaps I should keep my own '04 closed and try to get there and enjoy it where its most at home Big Grin[/QUOTE]

Had a tour and tasting/dinner there last month. I am not a foodie or a Michelin star collector - but I was quite impressed and would recommend it.

We had our tour with Maurizio Colia (sp?) and he was excellent.

He must let us draw the water from the well. Certainly he can present a bill for such services; after all... we are not Communists.

Posts: 373 | Location: Ontario - where the activist centre will make it all just right | Registered: Nov 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
W+A is correct. An excellent restaurant and proper glassware. The best Rabbit I have ever had.

Life without wine?...... Yeah Right.
The Unexamined Life Is Not Worth Living - Socrates
"Wine....offers a greater range for enjoyment and appreciation than possibly any other purely sensory thing which may be purchased" ERNEST HEMINGWAY (1889-1961)

ITB

Posts: 5040 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: Nov 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never had anything short of an excellent meal at this fine restaurant.

Glad you both enjoyed, IW.

posted Hide Post
I consider Marcelo and Maurizio very good friends. I can say they have always bent over backwards to make sure our dining experiences have been memorable. I have sent many of our friends (including many on this board) there and have never had anyone tell me they were disappointed. Maurizio is now teaching some Sommelier classes in London as well. I hope to dine at the Osteria again in November. Just thinking about this has my mouth watering.

Posts: 2209 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hope to dine at the Osteria again in November. Just thinking about this has my mouth watering.

Now that would be an offline! Eek

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5804 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Without a doubt the most memorable meal and wine tasting I've ever attended. I have been lucky enough to eat there 3 times and it gets better every time.

I see Antinori just opened a new wine cellar in Bargino. Looks like something I'll have to check out hopefully sometime.

Posts: 530 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Aug 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post