WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    A Latour and a Margaux
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Latour and a Margaux
 Login/Join 
posted
1970 Chateau Latour
Drank from 375, cork still sound, top shoulder fill, pop n poured, Color deep black red, Dark steely acidic cherry fruit, truffles, wet log, oak, long finish.... After 1.5hr. weight increased and acidity softened, fruit darkened, sweetness peaked out, some spice in the background, soooo soft yet heavy, last sips were the best, Amazing!

1994 Chateau Margaux
Opened 1 hr. prior, excellent cork, Mellow aged black currant and other dark fruit, some mineralality, very nice integrated wood, some crisp acidity a tad of barnyard on the finish, taste did not change much over a 2 hr. drinking period, very good.

1kailuaboy
There are no good old wines, only good bottles of old wines. said before

Posts: 53 | Registered: Oct 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mahalo for the notes.

VM

Posts: 12051 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love the 1970 Latour. I have been following it for decades, having purchased a case in 1978. I have one or two left and, so far, this shows no signs of having started downhill.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36388 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both wines I fear no urgency to pop soon. However, with the '94 it is what it is and don't see anything better coming out of that bottle. Now with the '70; I hope that luck is again on my side and my last bottle suffers no bottle ailments. I will again pop n pour just to taste but most likely will set the rest aside for at least an hour for the beauty inside to stretch its legs after its deep slumber. My track history with this bottling does not give me enough information to speculate on its longevity, (note, half bottle) but what I found currently inside was so self indulging that I need only find the right setting to consume this 'precious'.
VM looking forward to the Bears/Green Bay game. Aloha to Chris for me, tell her that I would love to reproduce her Korean sauce for pupus.

1kailuaboy
There are no good old wines, only good bottles of old wines. said before

Posts: 53 | Registered: Oct 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll have her email it to Haggis who can get it to you. Or post your email and I'll have her send it to you directly.

VM

Posts: 12051 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Me:
I'll have her email it to Haggis who can get it to you. Or post your email and I'll have her send it to you directly.

VM

email it to me, as I want it, too!

"But, if ye wish her grateful prayer,
Gie her a haggis!" -Robert Burns

Posts: 1634 | Location: Paradise (or 2400 miles from anywhere) | Registered: Feb 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post