WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    2006 Cave Springs Riesling Beamsville Bench Estate Bottled
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2006 Cave Springs Riesling Beamsville Bench Estate Bottled
 Login/Join 
posted
Well, Back to the Niagara Region. I made my first post on the infamous "Oh Niagara" thread nearly six years ago. A lot of time and shifting opinions since then. So, here we go again.

Anyway, this 2006 Cave Springs Beamsville Bench Estate Bottled Riesling is far and away the best Riesling I've ever had from North America. I was actually sort of shocked at how good it is. Very dry. A lovely floral/petrol tinged Riesling nose. Very nearly a creamy texture in the mouth, with very nice Riesling fruit flavor. Then, the mineral kicks in at the finish, which lasts for 35-40 seconds. I (seriously) counted 3 separate times.

The benchmark for this wine is clearly Alsace, not Germany. My perspective ranges from the likes of Hugel Gentil; up another notch to Trimbach, Hugel, and Zind Humbrecht Regional bottlings; then up again to Albert Mann (Schlossberg) and ZH Village and/ or Grand Cru's. Throw in a Weinbach or two.

I would dare say this Cave Springs vintage is at or above the better Alsace Regional bottlings ( which can range up to 90-92 points); even nearly (but not quite)approaching the next level (93+).

I won't put a final score on it, but in reference to the Alsace bottlings mentioned , it's a definite 90+.

Posts: 886 | Location: Buffalo , New York | Registered: Jul 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The weather was ideal in 2006 for riesling and gewurtz.

I presume you mean the Cave Spring 2006 Estate Riesling which sells for $18, and not the cheaper dry or off-dry which sell for around $14. Also worth trying are the Henry of Pelham Reserve Riesling ($14.95) and the Thirty Bench single vineyard rieslings, which are more expensive but quite good as is the Tawse Carly's Block Riesling. Cave Spring also made a great Gewurtz that year.

Posts: 119 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AS long as there are several Niagara posting here recently,I'll throw another note on this Cave Springs Riesling. We had the last bottle the other night. It is still awesome, maybe better.Various aroma's come and go. Mineral, petrol, peach, grapefruit and a whiff or three at times of something I remember from years ago, a little black mint called "sen-sen". Does anybody remember those little guys???

This wine showed a lot of different facets.

Posts: 886 | Location: Buffalo , New York | Registered: Jul 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My second to last bottle of this and it gets better every time. Still very youthful, peach, citrus some petrol and even a strange yellow cake flavor at the end of a good long finish. Very well balanced with the acidity still thumping. A little sweet without being cloying. Reminded me a lot of a Trimbach I recently had.

Probably the best North American riesling I've tried also. I just had a 2006 Eroica (which would probably get my vote for consitently best US riesling) at Thanksgiving and this blew it away. I have one more of this that I think Ill hang onto for a while now and see if it develops further. A couple of their Dolomite bottlings left too Ill have to try in the meantime. 91-92. A steal for the 16 bucks Canadian I paid at the winery in 2007.

Posts: 2299 | Location: NH Seacoast | Registered: Oct 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With the majority of the Niagara Beamsville Bench planted circa 1979 with the Mosel Clone Weiss 21B (mother vineyard the St Urban property at Vineland Estates Winery)this region continues to produce some of the finest Rieslings grown anywhere. The ageability is fantastic given some of the late 80s and early 90s Ive recently tried. Excellent QPR in the 12-20 dollar range. Vineland Estates, Cave Springs, Tawse, Henry of Pelham,Green Lane,30 Bench, just to name a few. Thanks for the notes on the 06 Cave Springs.

Posts: 59 | Location: Buffalo | Registered: Oct 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i'm also a fan of cave spring riesling ($18). it's probably one of my favorite go-to wines if i don't know what to have (for a white).

Posts: 103 | Registered: Nov 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also a fan of Cave Spring, though it's been a couple of years since I last had it.

I'm just amazed that this thread has been on here for over four years and Board-O has not yet come on here to tell all the people who liked the wine that they're wrong. Razz

Punch it , Chewie!

Posts: 1374 | Location: Edmonton | Registered: Jul 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think Cave Spring is the only niagara winery he can tolerate.

http://thewinenerds.ca/

Posts: 702 | Location: Toronto, Ontario (Etobicoke) | Registered: Oct 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
if you hadn't mentioned that this thread has been around for 4 yrs, i wouldn't have noticed. Smile

i'll admit, not all ON wines are great but they make some decent cool climate whites - esp riesling. palatine hills in niagara makes a nice riesling. vineland's st. urban riesling is quite good if you can find it.

Posts: 103 | Registered: Nov 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post