WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    2002 J.F. Coche Dury Corton Charlemagne
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2002 J.F. Coche Dury Corton Charlemagne
 Login/Join 
posted
This is one of those wines you would enjoy even if you could only smell.

We drank this wine at 55f and allowed to warm over two hours.

A vibrant nose that kept changing over time. Very floral early, then showing some nuttiness, caramel and smoke as the wine warmed. Throughout the wine was showing peach, green apple and some lemon oil all balanced against spiciness and acidity that leaves the mouth watering. The wine was showing more of a baked pear profile towards the end.

With the acidity of this wine and such full bodied fruit still showing, I'm thinking the best is yet to come as the oak integrates a touch more in the coming years.

Bravo.

Posts: 30085 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You do know how to celebrate and live. This wine has always been a bucket list item for me. Thanks for letting us live vicariously through your TN's. Any specific celebration with these amazing wines?

Life without wine?...... Yeah Right.
The Unexamined Life Is Not Worth Living - Socrates
"Wine....offers a greater range for enjoyment and appreciation than possibly any other purely sensory thing which may be purchased" ERNEST HEMINGWAY (1889-1961)

ITB

Posts: 4984 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: Nov 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Italian Wino:
You do know how to celebrate and live. This wine has always been a bucket list item for me. Thanks for letting us live vicariously through your TN's. Any specific celebration with these amazing wines?

IW, I understand you putting this in your bucket list, but I'm often surprised how many wine enthusiast have never heard of it.

One of our businesses had an excellent year.

Posts: 30085 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
IW, I understand you putting this in your bucket list, but I'm often surprised how many wine enthusiast have never heard of it.

It's possible it's unfamilar to many because it is a white wine situated in a price range that is not realistic for most. Their Corton Charlemagne specifically has a tiny production, so there's just not a lot of it out there to be aware of! Even their Mersaults are expensive and very limited in availability.

I only heard of Coche Dury 5-6 years ago, and discovered it quite by accident. It's another producer that I'll most likely never taste, unless I happen to be wandering by a table with an empty stem when you have your next celebration !! Wink

PH

Posts: 15066 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe I've had but one vintage, one older than 2002. I prefer the Bonneau du Martray, but one Coche Dury is not a big enough sample size. Your opinion, w+a?

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36781 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bonneau du Martray is special, not Coche, but very special indeed and fairly priced.

The 2008 is a must buy wine from Martray.

posted Hide Post
Coche Dury should be on every Burgundy's bucket list but I may be hard pressed as well to get a bottle of their Corton-Charlemagne into my cellar unfortunately. They're priced even above many Montrachets and from purely from personal experience, things ending in Montrachet have outperformed things ending in Charlemagne.

I do hear however comparing Coche-Dury's Corton to the rest of the pack is inconceivable.

Posts: 1611 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danyull:

purely from personal experience, things ending in Montrachet have outperformed things ending in Charlemagne.

...hmm, still thinking about this comment.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by Danyull:

purely from personal experience, things ending in Montrachet have outperformed things ending in Charlemagne.

...hmm, still thinking about this comment.

Hopefully, someday, I will have enough experience to offer an opinion in this debate. But for now, just a spectator Popcorn

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3087 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hawk, perhaps the theme next time we drink wine together.