WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    2006 Casa Lapostolle Cabernet Sauvignon Apalta Vyd Cuvee Alexandre
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2006 Casa Lapostolle Cabernet Sauvignon Apalta Vyd Cuvee Alexandre
 Login/Join 
posted
Blackberry, licorice, crème de menthe on nose; palate shows dark chocolate & fine-grained yet persistent tannin; finish turns woody at 20sec. The fruit really opens up after about an hour; but becomes more austere again the 2nd day. I'd go ahead & drink up.
89 pts.

Posts: 2487 | Location: L.A. | Registered: Mar 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the note. I concur with your drink up recommendation. I have found that Chilean cabs priced in the $15 to $25 range such as Cuvee Alexandres, Montes Alphas, Marques de Casa y Concha, Sta Rita medalla real, etc tend to peak at around year 4 or 5 but go downhill quickly at the 8 year mark.

"The hardest thing to attain ... is the appreciation of difference without insisting on superiority" George Saintsbury

Posts: 1549 | Location: DC Suburbs, Potomac MD. | Registered: Dec 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
merenge,

I agree with you 100%. For the money, those wines are some of my favorites and can be quite good @ 4-6 years.

Posts: 886 | Location: Buffalo , New York | Registered: Jul 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post