WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    TN: 2002 Ken Wright Savoya Vyd Pinot Noir
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TN: 2002 Ken Wright Savoya Vyd Pinot Noir
 Login/Join 
posted
Hosted our small wine group this past Saturday. Opened this near the end of the night as we needed more wine because one of the bottles I originally opened -- 2003 Robert Jayer-Gilles Bourgogne Haut Cotes de Beaune -- was corked.

2002 Ken Wright Savoya Vyd Pinot Noir
Popped and poured. Very dark ruby red -- might have been the darkest of all the Pinots opened this night. Nose of black cherry and some spice. Blackberry and cherry flavors with some plum notes. A big Pinot but I didn't find it overly ripe. Not sure it will get better but no hurry to drink. I have one more as well as 4 other bottles of 2002 Ken Wright Pinots. None have disappointed. 92 pts

As I was busy cooking, I didn't take any formal notes on the other wines consumed that evening, but here are general impressions.

2004 Wittmann Westhofener Morstein Riesling Spatlese
Little sweet for a spatlese but very tasty

2005 Pali Wine Co. Cargasacchi Jalama Vineyard Pinot Noir
Solid, but no real strong impressions.

2005 MacPhail, Sonoma Coast, Pratt Vineyard Pinot Noir (MAGNUM)
I think this might have been the WOTN for most. I found it just to be just a tad too "sweet."

2008 Torii Mor Willamette Valley
2008 Bergstrom Cumberland Reserve
Both very nice with each having some nice spice notes to them. Torii Mor was the more approachable, but with air the Bergstrom opened up. Both were different animals than the Ken Wright, with the two 2008s being a bit more subtle while the Ken Wright a more full-throttled Oregon Pinot.

“Appreciating old wine is like making love to a very old lady. It is possible. It can even be enjoyable. But it requires a bit of imagination.”

Andre Tchelistcheff

Posts: 2660 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Jan 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post