WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    1997 Dominus Estate
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1997 Dominus Estate
 Login/Join 
posted
1997 Dominus Estate - USA, California, Napa Valley (2/12/2011)
Popped and poured. Medium purple color, with no bricking. On the nose, you'd swear it's a Pauillac. Reminded me of the 1989 or 1999 Lynch Bages. On the palate, classic cabernet flavors of red currants, and cherries. A good grip of highly polished tannins and a little bit of mint/eucalyptus on the finish. A classic Napa cabernet with plenty of life and years left. (95 pts.)

--------------------
"One may dislike carrots, spinach, beetroot, or the skin on hot milk. But not wine. It is like hating the air that one breathes, since each is equally indispensable."

Marcel Ayme`

Posts: 10227 | Location: The Left Coast | Registered: Dec 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
that's good to hear, i just picked one of these up.

Posts: 5002 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mezzo Litro:
It's TNs like this that encourage me to HOLD my Cali cabs and red Bordeaux blends like Dominus.

Was this paired with a slab of rare bovine carcass?
Beef cheeks. Brought it by mistake instead of the 1992. Should be fine to hold through 2020.

--------------------
"One may dislike carrots, spinach, beetroot, or the skin on hot milk. But not wine. It is like hating the air that one breathes, since each is equally indispensable."

Marcel Ayme`

Posts: 10227 | Location: The Left Coast | Registered: Dec 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i just re-read this... would you say this is too young to open? i've had it standing up a couple of days for a tasting tonight, but now i'm not so sure. i felt '97 was a bit of an early-aging year.

thoughts? decanting suggestions?

Posts: 5002 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd probably hold for a year or two.

--------------------

Marcel Ayme`

posted Hide Post
Any experience with the '99?

The only other wines I have at home that fit the bill (and that I care to open) are a '99 Dominus and a '99 Montelena. I feel like the Montelena could use more age.

posted Hide Post
Not recently.

The 97 is certainly within the beginning of it's drinking window. I opened it by mistake. I meant to grab a 92.

If you open it, I'd suggest an hour or two in a decanter.

--------------------

Marcel Ayme`

posted Hide Post
I had a three pack of 1997 Dominus magnums and I drank one three years ago with my brother and it was kind of tight even with a decant and drinking it over three days. Got to taste it again with a friend I gifted a magnum to recently and I thought it was drinking great with superb fruit and balance of tannins. My brother has my last magnum I gave him when I drank the first one with him so I'm hoping he'll drink it with me in the next couple years.

Posts: 9452 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Drank the '98 3 years ago, and it was wonderful. A great wine considering the weaker vintage. I would drink these if you haven't already.

Posts: 1630 | Location: Pacific Palisades, CA | Registered: Feb 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Opened my last 97 Dominus last night. Bought upon release about 13 years ago now. Cork was perfect and after two hour decant, the wine started to be decent. Color was medium purple with no bricking at all. A very small amount of sediment. This wine was OK but not great which was a disappointment after waiting all these years. The nose was pretty good, not much in flavor and the finish was just OK. No hurry to open these but not sure it will gain more complexity as it ages. 90 points

Posts: 1139 | Location: The OC | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lakersguy:
Opened my last 97 Dominus last night. Bought upon release about 13 years ago now. Cork was perfect and after two hour decant, the wine started to be decent. Color was medium purple with no bricking at all. A very small amount of sediment. This wine was OK but not great which was a disappointment after waiting all these years. The nose was pretty good, not much in flavor and the finish was just OK. No hurry to open these but not sure it will gain more complexity as it ages. 90 points

Sorry to hear that. My recent experience with the '97 warranted a few points higher. I have the '92 standing for next week. so it should be an interesting comparison.

Posts: 1585 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shane T.:
I have the '92 standing for next week.

You're drinking well, as usual. Cool My one remaining '92 Dominus is waiting for a suitable occasion.

"You can never get enough of what you don't really need to make you happy." -- Eric Hoffer

Posts: 1131 | Location: San Diego CA | Registered: May 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Javachip:
quote:
Originally posted by Shane T.:
I have the '92 standing for next week.

You're drinking well, as usual. Cool My one remaining '92 Dominus is waiting for a suitable occasion.

Oh, please! From the wines that I have tasted courtesy of you, I know you're drinking far better than me! LOL But seriously, thanks for the generosity, and I hope to share some more good stuff at the next offline.

Posts: 1585 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post