WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    TN: 2003 Ch. Guiraud, 1er Cru Sauternes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TN: 2003 Ch. Guiraud, 1er Cru Sauternes
 Login/Join 
posted
I'm no expert in sweet wine but this is very delicious.

Golden color. I can already see its thick texture just be swirling the glass around. Delicious smell of dried apricot, honey, and botrytis. Very ripe, ultra sweet and thick yet very unctuous and caressing on tongue. Almost like a syrup and super long finish. Will keep well for another decade. 93+ points.

DP Wink

Posts: 547 | Location: OH | Registered: Jan 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2003 Château Guiraud - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes (3/28/2007)

Allred brought this to Zepplans house for dinner last weekend and this was paired with a white-chocolate raspberry tart. This was an outstanding dessert wine but like most of the 2003 Suaternes I have had I found it to be rather sweet at this young age. This sweetness is the reason I have preferred the 2001 Sauternes vintage over the 2003's. This sweetness will intgrate with time but overall the 2003 Sauternes are much less pleasurable in their youth than the 2001's in my opinion. This was a full bodied, power packed wine. Notes of pineapple, candied white fruit, some spice and telltale botrytis. I found it slightly syrupy at the present time. I liked the 1997 Guiraud which I had in 2005 slightly better than this wine. Wonderful potential here but I would give this quite a bit of time before uncorking any unless you like your Sauternes young and sweet. 91+ points.

VM

Posts: 12285 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first half bottle of 2003 sauternes, several of which I got as futures.

Full, medium-full body and sweetness. Straw colour. Honey and pineapple on the nose. Fresh hive honey, pineapple, banana, fig, orange rind marmelade.

Gets a bit fuller as it opens up.

92/93 points but with age, no doubt more.

-------------------
Go Bruins!!
Go Tigers!!
Go Pistons!!
Go Lions!!

Posts: 10671 | Location: Oakville Ontario | Registered: Jan 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2003 Château Guiraud - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes (11/12/2009)
WIML93

Tasted November 12, 2009 at an offline. Tasted from 375ml.

Yellow color in the glass, clear hue throughout. Nose of orange foam, honeysuckle, nuts, pineapple and a bit of florals. Flavors of orange, dried pineapple, honey and almonds. Medium acidity, full bodied. Fairly thick on the palate without being cloying. Drink or hold. (93 pts.)

Joe
-----
Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ www.wineismylife.net

Posts: 13551 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2003 Château Guiraud - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes (1/17/2013)

375ml opened by Otis. 2nd time I have had this. Not as syrupy as the last time I had this in 2007. I liked it better this time around. Light golden yellow color. The consensus was that the primary flavor here was orange marmalade. Distinct botrytis notes as well. The acidity kept this wine very lively. 92-93 points.

VM

Posts: 12285 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really found this to be very nimble and light on its feet. Quite sweet, but not cloying. Pineapples, oranges and maybe a little white pepper. Really nice wine. I wish I could come up with more excuses to open Sauternes. 93pts. Thanks for bringing this, Otis.

Go Habs Go

Posts: 5564 | Location: Chicago | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Still rocking some bright orange notes. Not as creamy as on release, but as Grossie noted, very sprite on its feet. 93P

Posts: 3418 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Apr 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
My first half bottle of 2003 sauternes, several of which I got as futures.

Full, medium-full body and sweetness. Straw colour. Honey and pineapple on the nose. Fresh hive honey, pineapple, banana, fig, orange rind marmelade.

Gets a bit fuller as it opens up.

92/93 points but with age, no doubt more.

5 years later, popped and poured. First thoughts are lemon, then butterscotch. Not getting as much or as many fruits as mentioned above but perhaps that is due to the p and p. Not soooo sweet as before, perhaps because it is still very cold. The honey and orange rind marmalade are still bang-on.

-------------------
Go Bruins!!
Go Tigers!!
Go Pistons!!
Go Lions!!

Posts: 10671 | Location: Oakville Ontario | Registered: Jan 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post