WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    1999 Dominus
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1999 Dominus
 Login/Join 
posted
We poured this last night at a meeting of the international heads of Nestle Foods, Inc. (Incidently, Bill Clinton was next door, but the Nestle people got the VIP room. I did meet him afterwards though)

The wine was a big hit and I also was impressed. I have had some disappointing sips of Dominus before, but this one has potential. I know it didn't get 99 points like previous years, but it deserves a high score.

Nose is BIG with up front cherry candy and smokey, coffee notes. The wine is noticeably tight on the palate, but full of sweet chocolate covered cherries and smoked meats, almost like a powerful version of sangiovese. Finish is smoother than I expected and quite lengthy, but needs more bottle time to work out the astringency. I was very impressed.

Passion turns intentions into habits.

Posts: 624 | Location: Tyrone, GA | Registered: Feb 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But what was the ex-prez drinking? Cool

Posts: 3973 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: May 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just bought some 99 when i was in d.c. and had some the other night. the 99 is monumental, the best since the 94. Cool

Posts: 714 | Location: Toronto Canada | Registered: Sep 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Clinton was receiving an award having something to do with The Civil Rights Museum and/or the NAACP. I could be wrong, but this wasn't exactly the type of crowd that picks Dominus as their wine of choice. I saw St. Francis Merlot, Merryvale Sav. Blanc, Chalk Hill Chard, and Frog's Leap Rose for that party of 1600 people. Not bad wines for such a large party.

Passion turns intentions into habits.

Posts: 624 | Location: Tyrone, GA | Registered: Feb 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
According to the AP:

quote:
The former president was in Memphis to receive the National Civil Rights Museum's highest honor, the Freedom Award.

Oh yeah, the wine! I've got a couple of bottles of the '99 Dominus as part of a vertical that I've been collecting for several years. Haven't tried one yet. I think I'll wait 'til 2005 or so.

Posts: 3973 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: May 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$100+ for an 88 point wine? Frown This is a good reason never to collect verticals! Dominus used to make excellent wines for $40! Now they make twice the wine at twice the price and all with lower scores! Confused It does mean much more profit! Wink

Posts: 7863 | Location: Germantown, Tennessee | Registered: Oct 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the one i had a few months ago was closed and sleeping, a tannic monster to say the least. too hard to get an opinion about the fruit or anything else for that matter. you guys must be decanting this thing for days...

Posts: 4208 | Location: Southern Calif | Registered: Jul 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Shiraef:
(Incidently, Bill Clinton was next door, but the Nestle people got the VIP room. I did meet him afterwards though)

Did you make sure to wash your hands with gasoline afterwards? Big Grin

Posts: 1147 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: Oct 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
  • 1999 Dominus Estate - USA, California, Napa Valley (11/7/2008)
    Wine Guy Weekend 2 Chez DoktaP's: New world meets old. Cassis and bell pepper notes(the good kind. Lots of heat on the palate with vanilla notes. Smells like a bordeaux. Long vanilla finish and maybe a bit monolithic but shows its well made. Revisit in 3-4 years. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

"Mimik" on cellartracker.com

Posts: 6597 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great update, Mimik. This is a wine that, across the board from everything I've read, seems to be one to bury for a few more years.

Cheers!

Posts: 2899 | Location: Seattle, WA, USA | Registered: Mar 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the notes mimik. I have a couple 99's I havn't tried yet I bought back in 03 for $80. Iv'e had the 97 recently though and found it to be drinking well right now and 93 pts.

Posts: 9442 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Popped and poured. Allowed to open up in glass for several minutes. Classic Dominus Bordeaux-like nose. Bright and alive. Aromas of cherry and ripe red fruits along with a balance of dark fruit, some tobacco and spicebox. Silky, balanced, complete mouth feel followed by a long and satisfying finish.

This wine was singing Saturday evening with a ribeye steak. Beautiful pairing and I believe enhanced the grand showing of this bottle. Gorgeous. (KSC95)

Posts: 15520 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice note, KSC02. Thanks for posting. If you only had two, would you pop one within the next year, or let 'em rest longer?

Cheers!

Posts: 2899 | Location: Seattle, WA, USA | Registered: Mar 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your choice, BRR.
I don't personally see this wine improving with further age. My opinion. However it's not close to a downturn by any means, IMO.
I will say that I tend to be in the camp of not aging my late 90s Cali cabs much past 10 years. I'd rather drink squarly in their window vs. pushing it and drinking a dated bottle of what was once great.

Posts: 15520 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the notes! I'm still drinking my 1997 and have two magnums left. The wine didn't seem like it was fading. I have not touched any of my 1999 yet but I'm glad to hear it is drinking well now.

Posts: 9442 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The color is very dark garnet, turning slightly brick-red on the rim. A dark wine, not only because of it's color but also because of it's aroma profile. First impression was like a 'Cahors', lots of licorice and dark fruits. After a while in the glass, the fruit intensified, notes of tobacco, spice and dark chocolate emerged. (Wished there was a little less licorice and a little more fruit)
The palate is very concentrated, yet balanced, from attack to finish. It literally explodes on the palate, leading to a really long finish.
Very very nice, 95 pts.

There is nothing in our intelligence that has not passed by the senses. (Aristoteles)

Posts: 1908 | Location: Luxemburg | Registered: Nov 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Moselle, now your tempting me! Wink

posted Hide Post
Popped one of these a couple of months ago and was blown away by it. Was my one and only bottle, needless to say I regret not buying more.

If you want to make God laugh, tell him your future plans. -Woody Allen

Posts: 261 | Location: Madrid, Spain | Registered: May 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, this one has really come around. Fruit notes of currant and plum with hints of balsa, carmel and coffee. Medium to full bodied wine with balanced acitity and silky tannins. Long finish. Delicious both with food and on its own. I don't see this improving much with additional time in the cellar but should continue to drink well for several more years. Sadly, my last bottle Frown. Red guy A

----------
Sometimes I read a thread and think we ran out of stuff to talk about like 4 years ago. ~spo

Posts: 2941 | Location: San Diego | Registered: Jan 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Red guy in a blue state:
Wow, this one has really come around. Fruit notes of currant and plum with hints of balsa, carmel and coffee. Medium to full bodied wine with balanced acitity and silky tannins. Long finish. Delicious both with food and on its own. I don't see this improving much with additional time in the cellar but should continue to drink well for several more years. Sadly, my last bottle Frown. Red guy A

I must have lost my invitation. Wink Glad it showed well.

Posts: 2949 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: Nov 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sadly, my last bottle Frown.

Found one more while scrounging around in the cab section. Bonus! Smile

----------
Sometimes I read a thread and think we ran out of stuff to talk about like 4 years ago. ~spo

Posts: 2941 | Location: San Diego | Registered: Jan 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Found one more while scrounging around in the cab section. Bonus! Smile

Offline! Cool

"You can never get enough of what you don't really need to make you happy." -- Eric Hoffer

Posts: 1128 | Location: San Diego CA | Registered: May 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Man, I had one about 2 months ago and definitely labeled it as a "lay down" wine. The tannin were still pretty dominant, and i thought the fruit was still just starting to peek through...

Posts: 4982 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorgerunfast:
Man, I had one about 2 months ago and definitely labeled it as a "lay down" wine.

jorge, you are aware of the lattitude & longitude affect on the aging of wines, eh? Wink

posted Hide Post
It is often a matter of preference, but the bottle I had was singing. Not at all closed, long, very balanced and extremely enjoyable. 2 hours in the decanter prior to serving. Bottle variation? I hope my last one shows as well as this one did.

Java: Off-line? Perhaps. There were a few other gems I was thinking of sharing for our next get together.

----------