WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    TN: 5 Bert Simon Wines (mostly 2003)- MSR
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TN: 5 Bert Simon Wines (mostly 2003)- MSR
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I've had this '89 twice and I agree with your notes VM.
My last encounter with an '89 from Simon was the 1989 Bert Simon Kaseler Kehrnagel Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel which was corked Mad
And of course that was my only bottle.
Speaking about that, I've had quite a few corked bottles from this producer...

_________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 3147 | Location: Cowboys Stadium | Registered: Feb 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Otis invited my wife and I to dinner and we decided to revisit the Bert Simon wines from 2003 which we both thought so highly of back when they were released. I also threw a 2007 Prum Kabinett into the mix and posted a separate TN on it. We drank these beofre dinner and with the salad course described in the Spatlese note below. We drank the BA with dessert. Here are my notes:

2003 Bert Simon Serriger Würtzberg Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (1/27/2013)
4th time I've had this wine and the best yet. The spritz this wine had when young is gone. Petrol aromas. Nicely rounded and balanced wine with pear and cooked apricot notes with an underlying earthiness. Excellent match for the seared duck with peach and red pepper salsa salad Otis made. Long finish. 92-93 points.

2003 Bert Simon Serriger Würtzberg Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (1/27/2013)
Opened by Otis. Part of 3 Bert Simon wise from 2003 that we tried at this dinner and my least favorite. This bottle seemed fat and lacked acidity which threw the wine out of balance. It had a nice core of tropical fruit but just felt a little flabby. Hope this was an isolated bottle since I have 3 more. The last one I had in 2005 showed much better. 88 points.

2003 Bert Simon Serriger Herrenberg Riesling Beerenauslese Goldkapsel - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (1/27/2013)
Drank this with a chocolate torte. This was showing very well. Deep tropical fruit with firm acidity to balance the sweetness and give this a lithe feel. Very little petrol (if any) and no sulfur. No signs of fading. 94 points.

VM

Posts: 12304 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
2003 Bert Simon Serriger Herrenberg Riesling Beerenauslese Goldkapsel - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (1/27/2013)
Drank this with a chocolate torte. This was showing very well. Deep tropical fruit with firm acidity to balance the sweetness and give this a lithe feel. Very little petrol (if any) and no sulfur. No signs of fading. 94 points.

This is such an incredible wine. Every bottle I have opened had a soaked & sometimes moldy cork (too high of a fill??), but the wine has always been sound. How about you?

Posts: 1584 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The most recent cork was soaked but can't remember the others. I've had this wine 4 times between 2004 and 2013 and have always given it 94 or 95 points.

VM

Posts: 12304 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post