WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    1996 Jean Raphet & Fils Charmes-Chambertin Grand Cru
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1996 Jean Raphet & Fils Charmes-Chambertin Grand Cru
 Login/Join 
posted
Starting to nibble at my 1996 burgundies. There is always a bit of expectations that go with the vintage and the producer. Not disappointed this time. Decanted for one hour, 13% alcohol, a bit light at the rim but I find this often with burgundies with a bit of age. Rich nose of organic earth and bacon. A real delight to drink with spicy cherries in the mouth and a very long balanced finish. This wine can be enjoyed now with decanting and will certainly be providing pleasure at age 20. 94 points

Posts: 1635 | Location: Santa Rosa, CA, USA | Registered: Mar 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am curious. You decant burgundies? Usually, I prefer to taste from the bottle and experience the bottle over some time. Usually good burgundies transform over several hours and I find this experience more intriguing. After decanting did you try it over some period of time? Did it change? Have you tried this wine before? If so, how different is it?

The reason I ask these questions is that I started drinking and purchasing burgundies in the last several years and I am curious on how well they age. I enjoy the 2002s quite a bit and I am stocking up on the 2005s.

skol

Posts: 10 | Registered: Nov 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Skol

I would not pretend to be an expert in Burgundy but I have bought some fine wines from the 1989, 1990, 1995, 1996, 1999, 2002 and 2005 vintages. I generally do decant and find some positive transformation over a couple of hours or so. As to aging from good vintages, I think that some of the better village wines can improve up to 10 years from the vintage but I drink them sooner. Premeir Crus, I start enjoying at about age 7-8, Grand Crus, I try to keep my hands off them until 10 years from the vintage and then they can age for many years.

Posts: 1635 | Location: Santa Rosa, CA, USA | Registered: Mar 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perfect cork, opened and poured without a decant. Light ruby, nose of cherries and rich composted earth. Drinking very well right now with a long silky finish. Very nice and no need to cellar much longer. 93 points

posted Hide Post
Sounds great and elegant.

Posts: 30038 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post