WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    Recent TNs- Krug Grande Cuvee, Dehlinger PN & Varner Bee Block & others
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recent TNs- Krug Grande Cuvee, Dehlinger PN & Varner Bee Block & others
 Login/Join 
posted
DINNER WITH FRIENDS - Shin's Underground (11/9/2012)

Chef Shin Thompson is doing one last round of dinners in the old Bosoiree space before opening his new resturant on Lake Street in February 2013. Friends from our Saturday group, Rick and Cris, made reservations for the first of these dinners and invited us to join them. As it turns out, DanTheRhoneFan and his s.o. also had reservations. Our tables were next to one another, so the bottles were passed back and forth all evening long.

Amuse of Sashimi

Duck Confit & Mushroom Duxelle cooked with Cognac, 63 Degree Farm Egg, Toast Points, Black Truffle & Fines Herbs
  • NV Krug Champagne Grande Cuvée Brut - France, Champagne
    Aromas of cashew, citrus and caramel apple and yeast. Flavors of apple, cashew butter and baked pear, along with citrus and dough qualities. Long finish. (93 pts.)
  • 2007 Dehlinger Pinot Noir Estate Bottled - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley
    Opened by Rick & Cris. Bright aromas of cherry, clove, spice and raspberry. Balanced, with flavors of cherries and clove. Long finish. (92-93 pts.)

Scallop Motoyaki
The Launois was a very nice match with this dish, pairing better than the jalapeno-laced Chatelain.
  • 2011 Domaine Chatelain Sancerre Selection - France, Loire Valley, Upper Loire, Sancerre
    Opened by Rick & Cris. Pale color with lovely citrus and grassy notes. The palate follows the bouquet, though the grasay quality borders on jalapeno and was a bit of a distraction for me. The acidity cut through the richness of the motoyaki nicely, but the flavors were a bit odd. I much preferred the Launois with this dish. (88 pts.)

Kabocha Squash & Fuji Apple Soup, Roasted Corn, Seared Trout, Lobster Oil, Crispy Leeks
My favorite course tonight, boths Chards paired very well with this dish.
  • 2004 Kistler Chardonnay Durell Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast
    Deep color, with notes of toasted popcorn, butterscotch, mineral and creme brulee. Full-bodied with a rich texture and flavors of baked apple, vanilla, wet stone and creme brulee. Long finish. (93 pts.)
  • 2007 Varner Chardonnay Spring Ridge Vineyard Bee Block - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains
    Opened by DanTheRhoneFan. Aromas of apple, tropical fruit, beeswax and toasted coconut. Well-balanced, with flavors of apple, lanolin, baked pear and butterscotch. Long, balanced finish. Terrific pairing with the soup. (94 pts.)

Crispy Skin Suzuki, Japanese Scallion Sy Beurre Blanc, Pearls of Sweet Potato & Grilled Asparagus
The Kistler paired better with this dish than the Chatelain, though had I saved a little Varner, I think that might have been the best match.

60 Hour "Zabuton" Wagyu Short Rib, Pommes Frites with Dust & Sea Salt, Karashi "Punch in the Face" Mustard, Chasseur Sauce
  • 2009 Trisaetum Pinot Noir Trisae - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley
    Opened by DanTheRhoneFan. Opens with a terrific smoky aroma, followed by spice and red berry notes. Balanced, with lovely red fruit, cherry, mineral and earth notes. Nice acidity; long finish. Terrific with the short ribs. (92 pts.)

Matcha Cake Napoleon, Chocolate Sauce, Macerated Fresh Berries
  • 2002 Philippe Prié Champagne Brut Tradition - France, Champagne
    Opened by DanTheRhoneFan. Pale color with notes of chalk, limestone and Granny Smith apple. Medium bead, with apple, chalk and almond flavors. Crisp, clean finish with racy acidity. (90 pts.)
  • 2002 Château Climens - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Barsac
    Deep orangish gold color. Apricot, pineapple syrup and marmalade aromas. Rich texture, with flavors of honey, marmalade and apricot flavors. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AllRed,

Posts: 1554 | Location: St. Charles, IL | Registered: Dec 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
DanTheRhoneFan and his wife

Hmm...I must have missed the nuptuals. Also, they were apparently divorced by the time he and I shared beers on Saturday. Big Grin

Posts: 5360 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
60 hour short rib? Good heavens, how do you prevent it from spoiling during that time? Is it braised in penicillin? Eek

Thanks for those excellent notes.

"You can never get enough of what you don't really need to make you happy." -- Eric Hoffer

Posts: 1105 | Location: San Diego CA | Registered: May 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great notes, AllRed.

I'm glad the Varner "Bee Block" & the Kistler "Durell" showed well for you.

These are two of my favorite domestic Chards. I am a bit partial to the Varner though.

Did you sense any decline in either of them?

Posts: 1414 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Javachip:
60 hour short rib? Good heavens, how do you prevent it from spoiling during that time? Is it braised in penicillin? Eek

Thanks for those excellent notes.

I've done a 48-hour short rib sous vide, maybe that's what they do?

Posts: 1468 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
apparently divorced by the time he and I shared beers on Saturday. Big Grin

Well, we did have a lot of wine Friday night...he probably just forgot to mention it. Corrected...wise guy. Razz

java & danyull...I have no idea exactly how he does it, but I am not going to argue with the results. Very tasty, and no problems or ill effects afterwards.

Shane, quick answer is slight decline on the Kistler, plenty of upside for the Varner. long answer- for my palate, Kistler Chards are most enjoyable in the 5-7 year range. I know a few people who age them longer and enjoy them that much more. This one was showing well, but definitely at the back end of its window for me...another year and I'd have likely been disappointed. The Varner however, was youthful and balanced, and will certainly last a good five to seven years easily, though based on how well this was drinking, I'd have a hard time keeping my hands off them.

Posts: 1554 | Location: St. Charles, IL | Registered: Dec 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big fan of Varner as well. Foxglove is made by them too right?

Posts: 176 | Location: San Diego | Registered: Dec 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SanDiegoWino:
Big fan of Varner as well. Foxglove is made by them too right?

That is correct.

Posts: 3544 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post