WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    Sunday Brown Bag Group: 2010 Châteauneuf-du-Pape
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sunday Brown Bag Group: 2010 Châteauneuf-du-Pape
 Login/Join 
posted
SUNDAY BROWN BAG TASTING: 2010 CHÂTEAUNEUF-DU-PAPE - Barb's (1/6/2013)

The blind reds are served in one flight. Tasters are to identify the theme of the tasting and rank the wines. Votes are tallied and the wines revealed. We had twelve tasters, cost was $45. Mike was the only one to correctly guess Chateauneuf, though everyone was in the Rhone. I guessed 2010 Gigondas.
Warm ups
The Duval was nonblind; Chave blind.
  • NV Duval-Leroy Champagne Brut - France, Champagne
    L2270AQ19. Soft bead, with subtle toast overtones along with biscuit and honeyed apple qualities. Flavors of mineral, toast, dough, pear and apple. Finishes well. (90 pts.)
  • 2010 J.L. Chave Sélection St. Joseph Céleste - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, St. Joseph
    Deep color. Aromas of citrus, mineral, pear and waxy melon notes. Rich texture with waxy fruit tones along with mineral & stone qualities. Reminds me of the Quenard Chignin Bergeron we had recently. (90 pts.)

Themed tasting
  • 2010 Domaine Charvin Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
    Light garnet color. Aromas of cherry, plum, licorice and evergreen. Develops a cherry cool-aid note, perhaps some boysenberry too. Medium- to full-bodied, with firm tannins and bright acidity. Flavors of dark cherry, berries and spice. Plenty of tannin; spice flavors; turns stemmy. 91+ pts.

My #6, Domino's #8
    Group #8, 82 pts (91 pts.)
  • 2010 Le Vieux Donjon Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
    Light garnet color. Aromas of cherry and red fruit- herbal; develops notes of evergreen and herbs, as well as roasted red fruit and pepper. Medium- to full-bodied, with roasted cherry, black fruit, herb, spice and pepper flavors. Long finish.

My #1, Domino's #2
    Group #2, 45 pts
    (2 x 1st place & 3 x 2nd place) (94 pts.)
  • 2010 Domaine Grand Veneur Châteauneuf-du-Pape Les Origines - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
    Deep garnet color. Reticent. Eventually develops aromas of evergreens, black fruit and cherry. Full-bodied and tannic, with cherry and red fruit qualities.

My #8, Domino's #5
    Group #7, 59 pts (91 pts.)
  • 2010 Domaine du Vieux Télégraphe Châteauneuf-du-Pape La Crau - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
    Light garnet color. Reticent at first; notes of adrk fruit, currants, pepper and garrigue. Full-bodied with flavors of peppery red fruit, spices, garrigue and black fruit. Bright acidity.

My #5, Domino's #6
    Group #3, 45 pts
    (2 x 1st place & 1 x 2nd place) (92 pts.)
  • 2010 La Ferme du Mont Châteauneuf-du-Pape Côtes Capelan - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
    Deep inky garnet color with aromas of herbs, dark fruit and a healthy bit of earthy funk; also clay, red fruit and garrigue. The most unique bouquet tonight, certainly the most funk. I like it, though it's not for everyone. Full-bodied, with flavors of garrigue, spices, dark fruit and berries. Tannic; not as much acidity as some of the others tonight. 91+ pts.

My #7, Domino's #1
    Group #1, 33 pts (91 pts.)
  • 2010 Château de Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
    Inky garnet color. Notes of black cherry, licorice and roasted herbs. Full-bodied, with flavors of cherries, black currants, pepper and spice. Develops an incense quality in the bouquet, and a harshness on the finish.

My #4, Domino's #4
    Group #4, 54 pts
    (1 x 1st place vote) (92 pts.)
  • 2010 La Ferme du Mont Châteauneuf-du-Pape Vendange - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
    Deep garnet color. Aromas of black fruit, herbs and pepper. Full-bodied, with firm tannins. Loads of spice, with red fruit and a long, balanced finish. Well-balanced- terrific fruit, structure and acidity. 92-93+ pts.

My #2, Domino's #7
    Group #5, 54 pts
    (0 x 1st place votes) (92 pts.)
  • 2010 Clos Saint Jean Châteauneuf-du-Pape Vieilles Vignes - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
    Light garnet color. Initially has a plastic, band-aid aroma, blowing off leaving aromas of black fruit, cherry, clay and garrigue. Full-bodied, with good acidity and tannin. Balanced, with a wealth of red fruit, mineral, pepper and herb flavors. Long finish. 92+ pts.

My #3, Domino's #3
    Group #6, 57 pts (92 pts.)

Nonblind dinner & dessert wines
With lamb shanks, lentils and rice pilaf.
  • 1990 Azienda Agraria Lisini Brunello di Montalcino - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino
    Corked NR (flawed)
  • NV Brice Champagne Aÿ - France, Champagne, Aÿ, Champagne
    Not a recent release though I did not catch a lot# or disgorgement date. 90% Pinot Noir with terrific pear and almond notes with a toast overtone. Hazelnut and pear qualities on the palate. Fine bead; lovely finish. (92 pts.)
  • NV Brice Champagne Bouzy - France, Champagne, Bouzy, Champagne
    Not a recent disgorgement, though I did not note a lot# or disgorgement date. A bit oxidized; nutty apple and cashew qualities. (88 pts.)
  • 1997 Fontodi Flaccianello della Pieve Colli della Toscana Centrale IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Colli della Toscana Centrale IGT
    Our last bottle, decanted briefly off its sediment and rebottled, served with dinner about three hours later. A bit of bricking, with a faded crimson core. Aromas of leather, dark fruit, cherries and violets. Well-balanced, with black fruit, cherry, cedar and violet flavors. Long, balanced finish. An outstanding example of this wine. (95 pts.)
  • 1995 Château Lynch-Bages - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac
    Deep color. Aromas of black currants, green tobacco and dark fruit. Balanced, with black fruit, cedar, violet, tobacco and earth flavors. Long finish. 93+ pts. (93 pts.)
  • 1996 Clos de l'Oratoire - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru
    Deep color. Black fruit, raspberry and incense notes. Balanced; black fruit, berry and incense flavors. Long finish. In a great place right now, but should hold for a good while yet. (92 pts.)
  • 2000 Château Terrey-Gros-Cailloux - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien
    Notes of violets, dark fruit, tobacco and cherry. Currant and cherry flavors on the palate; hint of earth and tobacco. (89 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Posts: 1572 | Location: St. Charles, IL | Registered: Dec 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have no more '97 Flacc. Thx for the TN. I love the '10 Cdp. An excellent vintage from ALL price points.

Life without wine?...... Yeah Right.
The Unexamined Life Is Not Worth Living - Socrates
"Wine....offers a greater range for enjoyment and appreciation than possibly any other purely sensory thing which may be purchased" ERNEST HEMINGWAY (1889-1961)

ITB

Posts: 4949 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: Nov 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the notes. I have not recieved my 2010's. I have Charvin, Pegau, Vieux Telegraphe and Mordoree La Reine des Bois coming.

Posts: 9400 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post